Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Faucet Cutoff Valve Hard to Turn

The faucet cutoff valves on a bathroom sink are extremely hard to turn. I mean
HARD. I almost couldn't get the hot water to turn off, and I could not get the
cold off because the handle is so close to the drain pipe.

http://img2.timeinc.net/toh/i/a/plum...-valves-04.jpg

I'm going to have to turn off the water supply to the house and remove these
completely to find out why they are so stiff. I'm assuming they have mineral
build ups that need to be cleaned, or the valves need to be replaced. They could
certainly be part of the problem I am having with slow flow (in a prior thread).

I'm curious. Why are these valves used instead of ball valves? Cost? Ball valves
are a lot easier to operate since the water is either all the way on or all the
way off.

Maybe I'll get one of these, or something like it. Any recommendations for a
tool? I saw one with a long handle at one of the big box stores, but now I can't
find it again.

http://www.gordonwrench.com/tool.htm
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 10, 6:19*am, mcp6453 wrote:
[...]

You can usually rebuild these without removing the body. You will
still have to turn off the water for the whole house. They are
cheaper than ball valves is why they are common. You will probably
have to add an adapter to a ball valve. I've never seen one that has
a compression fitting on one end like the cutoff valves do.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"mcp6453" wrote in message
[...]

Reason they are used: Cheap. The original plumber was looking for
something to shut off the water for the period the main water was on before
the sink faucet was installed. Almost intended for single use, never
expected to still be in useable shape years later when they might be needed
for a future maintenance project.

Replace them with some decent ball valve for a few bucks each and they will
last as long as the main faucet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 10, 3:19*am, mcp6453 wrote:
[...]

Short answer:
Forget any special wrenches or rebuilding them.
Replace them with 1/4 turn ball valve angle stop.

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/10/2010 9:42 PM, NGDirect wrote:

Reason they are used: Cheap. The original plumber was looking for
something to shut off the water for the period the main water was on
before the sink faucet was installed. Almost intended for single use,
never expected to still be in useable shape years later when they might
be needed for a future maintenance project.

Replace them with some decent ball valve for a few bucks each and they
will last as long as the main faucet.

The problem is, I've never soldered copper pipe. When I get back to the farm,
I'll look them over carefully to see if there is a way to replace them without
soldering.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 11, 5:35*pm, mcp6453 wrote:
On 6/10/2010 9:42 PM, NGDirect wrote:

Reason they are used: *Cheap. *The original plumber was looking for
something to shut off the water for the period the main water was on
before the sink faucet was installed. *Almost intended for single use,
never expected to still be in useable shape years later when they might
be needed for a future maintenance project.

Replace them with some decent ball valve for a few bucks each and they
will last as long as the main faucet.

The problem is, I've never soldered copper pipe. When I get back to the farm,
I'll look them over carefully to see if there is a way to replace them without
soldering.

If there is enough tube sticking out of the wall you can cut off the
bad valves and replace with 1/4 turn angle stops using compression
attachment.

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/12/2010 1:59 AM, DD_BobK wrote:
[...]

I believe there is enough sticking out to do that. We'll see. Thanks.