DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Plastic Tubing for Salt Water Discharge (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/304387-re-plastic-tubing-salt-water-discharge.html)

[email protected] June 7th 10 02:59 PM

Plastic Tubing for Salt Water Discharge

On Jun 6, 2:12*pm, professorpaul wrote:
I would be more inclined to "Tygon," which is the clear flexible
stuff. Use some silicon caulk for a seal where you go through the
wall. It has a LOT more "give" to it. My local Ace hardware carries it
in all sorts of diameters with "jag" fittings, etc.

Hello Professor,
Thanks for the tip. I need to make a tight turn to keep the tubing
out of the way. I wonder if Tygon's flexibility will make it likely
to close off like a bent water hose.

Also, whatever tubing material I use, can't I completely eliminate UV
degradation by wrapping the exposed section with electrical tape, duct
tape, or both?

Tony[_19_] June 7th 10 04:07 PM

wrote:
On Jun 6, 2:12 pm, professorpaul wrote:
I would be more inclined to "Tygon," which is the clear flexible
stuff. Use some silicon caulk for a seal where you go through the
wall. It has a LOT more "give" to it. My local Ace hardware carries it
in all sorts of diameters with "jag" fittings, etc.

Hello Professor,
Thanks for the tip. I need to make a tight turn to keep the tubing
out of the way. I wonder if Tygon's flexibility will make it likely
to close off like a bent water hose.

Just the other day I saw these spring like things to put on "universal"
automotive coolant hoses to make them bend where you want and to keep
them from collapsing. Personally I'd probably just use some PVC.

Also, whatever tubing material I use, can't I completely eliminate UV
degradation by wrapping the exposed section with electrical tape, duct
tape, or both?

Yes, but duct tape isn't very UV resistant.