DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Hot porch roof revisited (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/304219-re-hot-porch-roof-revisited.html)

willshak June 4th 10 09:22 PM

Hot porch roof revisited

Tony wrote the following:
Last fall I posted about how hot the porch roof gets and radiates the
heat down so it's hot as hell under the porch. It's 10' x 24', no
circulation problem, the porch is all open, just railing around it.

Mentioned making the roof white, and looks don't matter because you
can't see the top of this roof from the ground.

The roof is shingled. Any thoughts on white outdoor paint instead of
the expensive white stuff made for trailer roofs?

I painted a 20 x20 sunroom's black shingled roof with Henry Solarflex
287 SF. from Home Depot.
The roof area was about 500 sq ft. It made a hell of a difference in
temps in the sunroom in the summer.
$76
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...atalogId=10053
or: http://preview.tinyurl.com/366kk9o

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Tony[_19_] June 5th 10 04:23 AM

Hot porch roof revisited

willshak wrote:
Tony wrote the following:
Last fall I posted about how hot the porch roof gets and radiates the
heat down so it's hot as hell under the porch. It's 10' x 24', no
circulation problem, the porch is all open, just railing around it.

Mentioned making the roof white, and looks don't matter because you
can't see the top of this roof from the ground.

The roof is shingled. Any thoughts on white outdoor paint instead of
the expensive white stuff made for trailer roofs?

I painted a 20 x20 sunroom's black shingled roof with Henry Solarflex
287 SF. from Home Depot.
The roof area was about 500 sq ft. It made a hell of a difference in
temps in the sunroom in the summer.
$76
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...atalogId=10053

or: http://preview.tinyurl.com/366kk9o

I may try this stuff. It's made for the roof and good quality outdoor
white paint would probably cost more anyway. The coverage is about
twice of the stuff at Lows, but that is for roofs that are already
white. Two thin layers are probably better anyway. Says it can double
or triple the life of roofs, maybe I'll do the whole house.