Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Gap Under GarageDoor

On Jun 4, 2:07*pm, EvenStephen wrote:
I have a 2.5" gap under on small area of my double garage door. *I
can't seem to find a bottom door sealer over 1.5" thick. *Where can I
find a garage door "foam material" that will be 2.5" thick and will
compress completely in the areas of the door where there is no gap?
Thanks for any help!

You're not going to find anything like that, because it's the wrong
solution for the problem. Home Depot sells a lot of band-aid solutions
that encourage people to do bad things to their homes, but even they
know that what you're trying to do is beyond ridiculous.

Do you put band-aids on bullet wounds?

The correct solution is to fix the hole in the floor.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 4, 2:26*pm, wrote:
On Jun 4, 2:07*pm, EvenStephen wrote:

I have a 2.5" gap under on small area of my double garage door. *I
can't seem to find a bottom door sealer over 1.5" thick. *Where can I
find a garage door "foam material" that will be 2.5" thick and will
compress completely in the areas of the door where there is no gap?
Thanks for any help!

You're not going to find anything like that, because it's the wrong
solution for the problem. Home Depot sells a lot of band-aid solutions
that encourage people to do bad things to their homes, but even they
know that what you're trying to do is beyond ridiculous.

Do you put band-aids on bullet wounds?

The correct solution is to fix the hole in the floor.

Agreed... Patching the broken edge of the concrete slab floor of
the garage is not all that a mysterious thing to do...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

Agreed... Patching the broken edge of the concrete slab floor of
the garage is not all that a mysterious thing to do...

There could be other reasons why the floor is level and flat.

Obvious holes can be patched. But it's not unreasonable to apply a "filler
strip" to the edge of the door which is cut so that there is a uniform and
bridgable gap. THAT gap you close with weather stripping.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"John Gilmer" wrote in message
net...
Agreed... Patching the broken edge of the concrete slab floor of

the garage is not all that a mysterious thing to do...

There could be other reasons why the floor is level and flat.

Obvious holes can be patched. But it's not unreasonable to apply a

"filler
strip" to the edge of the door which is cut so that there is a uniform and
bridgable gap. THAT gap you close with weather stripping.

What I pictured was not a hole in the floor but more likely a set of tracks
that need to be adjusted so the flat bottom edge of the door will hit the
flat door. Alternatively there is something stopping the door on one side
that the OP has not noticed.

It is doubtful the original owner would have accepted the concrete job that
far off.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Roger Shoaf wrote:
"John Gilmer" wrote in message
net...
Agreed... Patching the broken edge of the concrete slab floor of

the garage is not all that a mysterious thing to do...

There could be other reasons why the floor is level and flat.

Obvious holes can be patched. But it's not unreasonable to apply a

"filler
strip" to the edge of the door which is cut so that there is a uniform and
bridgable gap. THAT gap you close with weather stripping.

What I pictured was not a hole in the floor but more likely a set of tracks
that need to be adjusted so the flat bottom edge of the door will hit the
flat door. Alternatively there is something stopping the door on one side
that the OP has not noticed.

It is doubtful the original owner would have accepted the concrete job that
far off.

Mine was done poorly. The concrete dips down in the center of the door.
Didn't realize it when I did it, but the opener actually crushed a
little of the steel door on one side so now it is sealed in the center
too. A strong door too, steel on outside and inside with insulation in
the middle. Yes, I backed off the closing pressure adjustment!