Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Drain on WH at a supply line

On Jun 4, 12:56*pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
On Jun 4, 10:02*am, Tony Hwang wrote:

Art Todesco wrote:
Ok, here's my situation. *I am installing a utility sink in the
basement. *The house is all PEX, so there should be no problem tapping
into the lines which are about 7' away. But, today I was thinking .....
may be a dangerous thing. I have a propane water heater only about 8'
from where the utility sink will be. What if I connected the hot water
from the lower drain on the WH to supply the hot water to the sink
faucet. This would accomplish "automatic" periodic WH flushing. I know
the water at the bottom is not as hot as from the top, especially when
it is not fired up. But, it is just a utility sink. I know in my
previous houses I always tried to run a gallon or 2 of water
periodically, like every month. The month turned into 2 and then maybe a
year, etc. And eventually, you completely forget about it. Anyway, what
do y'all think about this? Have at it.

Hmmm,
I had to laugh. Yeah, take hot water from drain cock.

Art:

Most of the posters have missed your point that the tap off the water
heater would be only for the new basement sink.

No, most posters didn't miss the fact that it is a DUMB IDEA, no
matter where the water is to be used.