Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Red Maple

Recently, a red ribbon was stapled to the big red maple tree out front in
the city right of way. I came to find out the tree is slated for removal,
but I don't know why. There's a lot of mold on the upper trunk and branches
and one, open, very black and slimy knot hole about half way up.

I can't imagine the cash-strapped city would spend $ to take it down for no
reason, but the tree's fully leafed out so I know it's not dead. There was
one branch that had no leaves close to the base, but it's always grown that
way, with the lowest branches losing their leaves, then dying and just
dropping off, the holes healing up and new growth continuing from the top.

It's a big tree, about 75' tall. I'd hate to lose it, but it is sort of
growing at angle toward my house so that if it did fall over, it would
definitely hit the front bedroom with a good 10' of thick trunk.

I did notice a crack in the moss growing all the way around the base of the
tree. The tree had obviously leaned in a heavy wind and caused the ground
around its roots to lift about an inch. Anyone have any ideas why my tree
has been "marked for death?"

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert Green" wrote:

Recently, a red ribbon was stapled to the big red maple tree out front in
the city right of way. I came to find out the tree is slated for removal,
but I don't know why.

-snip-
Anyone have any ideas why my tree
has been "marked for death?"

One guy knows-- The one who tagged it. I'd bet it would be a local
call.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 3, 8:39�am, "Robert Green" wrote:
[...]

why not call the city and ask?

if you want to save the tree try offering to pay for a tree company to
give a second opinion.

I hate to see a mature tree removed unnecessarily
Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

On Jun 3, 1:19*pm, " wrote:
[...]

I hate to see a mature tree removed unnecessarily- Hide quoted text -

City arborist must have paid you a visit. I'd call him / her for the
report. One removed near my property. Though not visible from the
outside, a core sample from the bore in showed significant rot. This
was a maple tree deemed to be about 60 yrs old. We are in a hurricane
zone. I've no idea of the predicted life span of same tree would be.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Green wrote the following:
[...]

At the end of February, after the very heavy wet snow and subsequent
heavy winds, about 50% of the trees on my one acre next to a woods
suffered major tree and branch damage which then caused some damage to
my 6' high wooden fence when a Maple trunk branch of about 10" in
diameter fell on it, I spent the better part of 2 days cutting that and
a number of other large branches that broke off other trees and were
laying on my property. Two large fir trees on my neighbor's property
fell and took out the electricity, phone, and cable tv/broadband lines.
2 days without those utilities. Be thankful that they are going to
remove that tree before it causes damage or worse, injury or death..

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Robert Green wrote:
... one, open, very black and slimy knot hole about half way up.

... the holes healing up and new growth continuing from the top.

It's a big tree, about 75' tall. I'd hate to lose it, but it is sort of
growing at angle toward my house so that if it did fall over, it would
definitely hit the front bedroom with a good 10' of thick trunk.

I did notice a crack in the moss growing all the way around the base of the
tree. The tree had obviously leaned in a heavy wind and caused the ground
around its roots to lift about an inch. Anyone have any ideas why my tree
has been "marked for death?"

Well, in that description alone I counted five good ones...

In all likelihood, notwithstanding the apparent near toppling already,
the bulk of the trunk is hollow and what appears to be a quite large,
solid piece of sturdy wood is mostly a straw...

Be glad they're going to get it down before it comes down on its own and
it's your nickel to collect from your insurance and clean it up...

Many places will replace it w/ a new planting...

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Robert Green wrote:
[...]

It was the inevitable result of local government plotting to entice you
to post to usenet...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message
"Robert Green" wrote:

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message
.. .
"Robert Green" wrote:

Recently, a red ribbon was stapled to the big red maple tree out front

in
the city right of way. I came to find out the tree is slated for

removal,
but I don't know why.
-snip-
Anyone have any ideas why my tree
has been "marked for death?"

One guy knows-- The one who tagged it. I'd bet it would be a local
call.

Already left a message a week ago without a callback.

Here's how you deal with that.
1. Call the department. . .
2. 24 hours later call the head of the department.
3. 24 hours later go up the chain of command . . .
4. 24 hours go up another step.
5. give the mayor's pr office 24 hours.
6. Call the media.

Quicker than waiting a week.

Ah, yes, I know of the chain of command but they know the hammer of
vengeance. By the time you get to three on your list, you've been visited
by every inspector of every type they have who issues a citation for
anything they can find.

They have taken discouraging citizen review to a fine art and I have the
citations to prove it. I even tried to interest the local newspaper in a
story about how vindictive they are, but as they had just built a huge new
printing plant (ha! - they are selling it now!!) a few blocks away they
apparently weren't looking to prove my point.

But the question has been rendered academic. They "sort of" returned my
call because when I got home today, most of the tree was gone - only some
logs and a tall upright section remained. The black, silty knot hole was
really rotten and a stain that looked like a cross between black ink and
motor oil was visible in the center of each of the sections of tree trunk
lying on the ground.

Some of the black sections already were being eaten through (only an inch in
diameter out of a 12" diameter log, but on balance, nothing except the
wounded site where the big branch fell off was really rotten so they caught
it in time. Too bad it's gone, I nearly drove past my own house because the
whole section of houses looks completely different without it.

Thought I'd ask
around and see whether other people had any experience with red maple

trees.

That's like asking in a medical group if anyone has experience with
humans.

Hey, I am pretty sure from the treatment I've gotten that humans are a
novelty at SOME medical groups. My favorite medical story is when after
about six shots of Demerol for a really nasty kidney stone they thrust a
paper in my delirious face for me to sign acknowledging the death risks from
IVP dye injections, which they wanted to do. I remember asking, through the
very deep, cottonlike fog, "Do I look competent to sign a life or death
document right now?" And then I threw up on the release form, the doctor
holding it, the desk, etc. They wheeled me into a corner for 8 hours after
that until a family member came to fetch me.

In my jurisdiction if you ask too many questions, you end up with

citations
for ultra-minor infractions as a reminder that city workers have better
things to do than answer citizen inquiries.

A minor infraction is still an infraction. Obey the laws & complain
away.

Dude, they have laws stretching out beyond the event horizon. Of the four
infractions that burn the most we Left wheels to curb, trash cans beyond
building line, having my car parked in front of my house for three days in a
row without moving it and "rats were seen in your yard."

These are very skilled bureaucrats, able to deal with any threat to their
way of doing business. The moral of the story is keep your mouth shut and
go where you're kicked. I hate it, but I hate being harassed by nonsense
citations even more.

If it were a matter of life and death, I'd go to the mat, but I've learned
to pick my battles. This one has probably worked out in my favor,
considering they dropped the sucker without damage to the phone, powerlines
and CATV wires, which were threaded through the offending tree from multiple
directions. They did a damn good job and cleaned up, too. Davey Tree
service, if anyone cares, in suburban Maryland.

Thanks for your input, Jim!

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
4...
ktos wrote in
:

"Robert Green" wrote in
:

[...]

The city hates you.

After Hurricane Charlie,the large maple outside my building had been blown
over,it's shallow root system pulling a huge hunk of earth out along with
it. there were several similar trees around my apartment complex.

Chances are,the city decided your tree is not stable,and is likely to be
blown over in a high wind,and wants to take preemptive action so the tree
doesn't damage anything,like perhaps power lines,house roof,or someone's
car.

It's good that they are looking to the future,not waiting until it

actually
falls.

It's unusual they are being pre-emptive. There's another tree on a shared
fenceline with a city property behind me that they have refused to deal
with, even though it has a fence growing through its double trunk and it's
twice the size of the red maple in front.

I suspect they have discovered that many trees got seriously damaged in the
recent bit of endless snow. The pity is that the tree might have been saved
with a little pruning at the right time. It's clear now that it's down in
pieces on the ground that it was the "wound" made by the branch the broke
off that allowed "rot juice" to propagate throughout the tree. Right at the
wound sight, the dark color was spreading to the growth layer right under
the bark, so at least I am content that it really did have to come down.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
The OP could take the situation to the media. Some tv stations look
for situations like these, interview the resident, then go ask the
powers to be.

pittsburgh is broke and then decided to remove 1500 mature trees for
apparently no real reason. except the connected person nwho owned the
tree company maqking a bunch of money.
when the media got involved the entire project died........

it was pretty stupid ifb you dont have the money to patch pot holes
why bother removing trees.

of the 1500 slated for removal only 5 dead trees were ultimately
removed

That's good. Now that it's gone, it looks kind of naked.

Down heah in Maryland the scam is concrete curbs. Every few years someone
comes along, jackhammers out the old curbs (kerbs?) and replaces them with
new curbs that look very much like the old ones. I know that PA is known
for corruption, but Maryland's the state that produced Spiro Agnew,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiro_Agnew

the corrupt US VP that resigned after the stories of his legendary bribery
schemes came to light. No one can touch Chicago for corruption. Look at
Rod Blagojevich, Mayors Daley and elections where more dead than living
people voted.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Han" wrote in message
"Robert Green" wrote in
:

[...]

I don't know about red maples, but the ordinary street trees that look
like maples have a maximum life span of 60-70 years. Given all the signs
of disease, you probably have a tree ready to give the ghost. I remember
vaguely, because it was talked about so much later on, that all the fruit
trees in a part of Holland (Zeeland) inundated by seawater in February
1953 bloomed exquisitely that spring then died from the saline poisoning.
Your tree may very well have leafed out (and you didn't say, bloomed
tremendously) because it is dying.

That's a good call. Well, it's not dying anymore, it's hunked up in
sections lying on my front lawn, stone dead. )-: I had no idea that street
trees had a limited lifespan, but it makes sense. They have all sorts of
things to contend with that a tree in the country doesn't have to face. I
am trying to recall whether it bloomed this year. I seem to remember a lot
less pollen than usual, but that's a really subjective analysis. I'm afraid
I just didn't notice whether it bloomed or not.

The saline story is interesting. I guess a tree's slow "metabolism" means
that poisons take a long time to work their way fully into the tree. Up
until now the only tree care rule I knew was that you don't change the level
of dirt around the trunk of a tree if you want it to keep on living.

Thanks for your input!

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Green wrote:
I have a call into the arborist which has not
been returned (very small city, probably a part timer in the job. I'll
pulse them again tomorrow since it's been a week since I called and two
since the ribbon appeared. I guess they don't make it a habit to talk to
the property owner during their inspection.

Wow things move very fast there...

I was working in my garage last weekend and had the roll up door open. I
heard some talking across the street and turned around to see a guy
talking to my neighbour and slapping the trunk of a tree that is on city
property at the front of his house (obviously a city employee because of
the car he was driving).

Thats when I noticed the tree was leaning and had obviously been
weakened by the last wind storm we had a week before.

Less than an hour later a truck rolls up with a chipper and down came
the tree.