Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Jim is offline

Default Bedroom TV

Searched available groups but none seem to have a subject pertaining to
my question. So here goes in this group where people have been well
versed over the years.

I'm searching for what I call a bedroom TV. Not too big, not too small.
An LCD between 24" and 32" perhaps. Trouble is I'm looking for a
specific feature. An on/off timer. Sometimes called an alarm timer.
Unlike regular sleep timers these turn on the set. Makes a nice
alternative to alarm clocks.

Going to both Walmart and Best Buy I discovered they don't have any
remotes available. The data cards don't mention it nor do the shipping
boxes. So no way to check the on screen menus.

Perhaps someone here is in retail electronics? Or maybe someone has
purchased a new set fairly recently? If so I would really appreciate
knowing available makes/models to look for.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 2, 3:39*pm, Jim wrote:
Searched available groups but none seem to have a subject pertaining to
my question. *So here goes in this group where people have been well
versed over the years.

I'm searching for what I call a bedroom TV. *Not too big, not too small..
An LCD between 24" and 32" perhaps. *Trouble is I'm looking for a
specific feature. *An on/off timer. *Sometimes called an alarm timer. *
Unlike regular sleep timers these turn on the set. *Makes a nice
alternative to alarm clocks.

Going to both Walmart and Best Buy I discovered they don't have any
remotes available. *The data cards don't mention it nor do the shipping
boxes. *So no way to check the on screen menus.

Perhaps someone here is in retail electronics? *Or maybe someone has
purchased a new set fairly recently? *If so I would really appreciate
knowing available makes/models to look for.

Have you heard of Google?

22":

http://salestores.com/toshiba22av6.html

34"

http://salestores.com/sonykvhr.html

I'm sure I could fine more....

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim" wrote in message

I'm searching for what I call a bedroom TV. Not too big, not too small.
An LCD between 24" and 32" perhaps. Trouble is I'm looking for a
specific feature. An on/off timer. Sometimes called an alarm timer.
Unlike regular sleep timers these turn on the set. Makes a nice
alternative to alarm clocks.

All Sony and JVC TVs over 15" diag. used to have this feature,
and probably still do. It does not take long to ask.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Jim is offline

On Wed, 02 Jun 2010 18:00:15 -0400, Don Phillipson wrote:

"Jim" wrote in message

I'm searching for what I call a bedroom TV. Not too big, not too
small. An LCD between 24" and 32" perhaps. Trouble is I'm looking for
a specific feature. An on/off timer. Sometimes called an alarm timer.
Unlike regular sleep timers these turn on the set. Makes a nice
alternative to alarm clocks.

All Sony and JVC TVs over 15" diag. used to have this feature, and
probably still do. It does not take long to ask.

You likely have better informed sales people near you. The ones near me
thought a sleep timer was the same thing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim" wrote in message
Searched available groups but none seem to have a subject pertaining to
my question. So here goes in this group where people have been well
versed over the years.

I'm searching for what I call a bedroom TV. Not too big, not too small.
An LCD between 24" and 32" perhaps. Trouble is I'm looking for a
specific feature. An on/off timer. Sometimes called an alarm timer.
Unlike regular sleep timers these turn on the set. Makes a nice
alternative to alarm clocks.

Going to both Walmart and Best Buy I discovered they don't have any
remotes available. The data cards don't mention it nor do the shipping
boxes. So no way to check the on screen menus.

Perhaps someone here is in retail electronics? Or maybe someone has
purchased a new set fairly recently? If so I would really appreciate
knowing available makes/models to look for.

I've never had a TV which didn't have a timer. The two most recent LCD TVs I
currently bought also have timers. When visiting the electronics/TV
retailer, play with the features on the displayed TVs and/or search the menu
option. I'm willing to bet you'll find a timer.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Jim is offline

On Wed, 02 Jun 2010 19:00:35 -0400, SBH wrote:

"Jim" wrote in message
[...]

Just returned from PC Richards, a local electronics retailer, and did
just that. Once again the salesman started by saying they all have it.
Took three reminders that I specified a on/off timer not the sleep timer
he was thinking of.

Did find a couple Samsung models to compare against. So the trip wasn't
a total waste.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 02 Jun 2010 19:39:50 GMT, Jim wrote:

Searched available groups but none seem to have a subject pertaining to
my question. So here goes in this group where people have been well
versed over the years.

I'm searching for what I call a bedroom TV. Not too big, not too small.
An LCD between 24" and 32" perhaps. Trouble is I'm looking for a
specific feature. An on/off timer. Sometimes called an alarm timer.
Unlike regular sleep timers these turn on the set. Makes a nice
alternative to alarm clocks.

I have a 20 year old tv that has that feature. I would think it would
be even more common now.

Going to both Walmart and Best Buy I discovered they don't have any
remotes available.

Some stores used to have the manuals themselves under the tv. Less
likely to be stolen than a remote.

But go to a better store. A family owned tv and appliance store, and
ask there. I'm told their prices are often no higher anyhow, and you
get better service.

Do the tv's really not have a menu button ON the tv?

The data cards don't mention it nor do the shipping
boxes.

Some features are so small or common they're not mentioned, but the
features also might not be there.

Get the manual online.

So no way to check the on screen menus.

Perhaps someone here is in retail electronics? Or maybe someone has
purchased a new set fairly recently? If so I would really appreciate
knowing available makes/models to look for.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Jim is offline

Mission accomplished. While out searching for a TV I instead learned of
a MONITOR that has a built in digital tuner. And of course the desired
on/off timer function.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Since when is 24 to 32 inches "not too big"? Having grown up watching
a 13 inch black and white "GE Adventurer 1", I think your sense of
proportion is a bit much.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Jim" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim wrote:
Searched available groups but none seem to have a subject pertaining to
my question. So here goes in this group where people have been well
versed over the years.

I'm searching for what I call a bedroom TV. Not too big, not too small.
An LCD between 24" and 32" perhaps. Trouble is I'm looking for a
specific feature. An on/off timer. Sometimes called an alarm timer.
Unlike regular sleep timers these turn on the set. Makes a nice
alternative to alarm clocks.

Going to both Walmart and Best Buy I discovered they don't have any
remotes available. The data cards don't mention it nor do the shipping
boxes. So no way to check the on screen menus.

Perhaps someone here is in retail electronics? Or maybe someone has
purchased a new set fairly recently? If so I would really appreciate
knowing available makes/models to look for.

Nobody stocks anything now a days. You have to order everything on the
internet.

--
LSMFT

I don't like to interrupt her.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/3/2010 2:24 AM, mm wrote:
On 02 Jun 2010 19:39:50 GMT, wrote:

[...]

Unfortunately big box has everyone trained to think they are experts.

There is a large family owned appliance/electronics store nearby and
both the owners son and one of the employees are really knowledgeable.
And unlike the big box place where they bring the sales people into the
back room each morning and tell them what items they should push to get
a $3 commission they give you honest and helpful answers because they
are there for the long stretch. And as you noted the prices are
competitive because they belong to a buying co-op.

Do the tv's really not have a menu button ON the tv?

The data cards don't mention it nor do the shipping
boxes.

Some features are so small or common they're not mentioned, but the
features also might not be there.

Get the manual online.

So no way to check the on screen menus.

Perhaps someone here is in retail electronics? Or maybe someone has
purchased a new set fairly recently? If so I would really appreciate
knowing available makes/models to look for.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim wrote:
Searched available groups but none seem to have a subject pertaining to
my question. So here goes in this group where people have been well
versed over the years.

I'm searching for what I call a bedroom TV. Not too big, not too small.
An LCD between 24" and 32" perhaps. Trouble is I'm looking for a
specific feature. An on/off timer. Sometimes called an alarm timer.
Unlike regular sleep timers these turn on the set. Makes a nice
alternative to alarm clocks.

Going to both Walmart and Best Buy I discovered they don't have any
remotes available. The data cards don't mention it nor do the shipping
boxes. So no way to check the on screen menus.

Perhaps someone here is in retail electronics? Or maybe someone has
purchased a new set fairly recently? If so I would really appreciate
knowing available makes/models to look for.

I was looking for a window air conditioner that is also a heat pump
heater. I could leave it in the window longer for that touch of heat
needed when it's a little cool in the spring and fall. Does Walmart have
one? No way. They have dozens but no heating air conditioners.
Don't expect anything that is not a main line mover to be stocked.

--
LSMFT

I don't like to interrupt her.
Posted to alt.home.repair

.

"Jim" wrote in message

[...]

Well, it's not "too big" compared to a 60" TV.

However, too big or too small has more to do with the viewing range
than the actual physical size of the unit.

A 60" screen is "too big" for your average bedroom but "too small" for
your average football stadium.

When choosing an HD TV, the size should be based on how far from the
unit you will normally be while viewing it. Too big/too close means
reduced quality. Too small/too far means eye strain.

Too big/too close is far worse than too small/too far. Why spend big
bucks on a 55" screen just because it fits on a wall only to be stuck
with deminished quality because your bed is too close?

Use a calculator like this to help determine the right size:

http://hdinstallers.com/calculator.htm
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim wrote:

Searched available groups but none seem to have a subject pertaining to
my question. So here goes in this group where people have been well
versed over the years.

I'm searching for what I call a bedroom TV. Not too big, not too small.
An LCD between 24" and 32" perhaps. Trouble is I'm looking for a
specific feature. An on/off timer. Sometimes called an alarm timer.
Unlike regular sleep timers these turn on the set. Makes a nice
alternative to alarm clocks.

Going to both Walmart and Best Buy I discovered they don't have any
remotes available. The data cards don't mention it nor do the shipping
boxes. So no way to check the on screen menus.

Perhaps someone here is in retail electronics? Or maybe someone has
purchased a new set fairly recently? If so I would really appreciate
knowing available makes/models to look for.

The LG 26LE5300 I got the other day does indeed have a programmable on /
off timer function including source and channel selection.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Jun 3, 8:15*am, wrote:
On Thu, 3 Jun 2010 07:58:35 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

wrote:
Since when is 24 to 32 inches "not too big"? Having grown up watching
a 13 inch black and white "GE Adventurer 1", I think your sense of
proportion is a bit much.

Go look at a 24 inch 16:9 widescreen TV and see what you think.

It's not very big at all compared to a 4:3 ratio 19 inch TV.

It's wider, but a LOT shorter vertically.

Guess you should know....right HD Boi?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

wrote:
Since when is 24 to 32 inches "not too big"? Having grown up watching
a 13 inch black and white "GE Adventurer 1", I think your sense of
proportion is a bit much.

This isn't 1960

Also, if you have to watch the TV in a 4:3 mode the picture is a lot
smaller.

But of course a lot of people don't mind using the "stretch" mode and
watching a distorted picture.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

wrote:
Since when is 24 to 32 inches "not too big"? Having grown up watching a
13 inch black and white "GE Adventurer 1", I think your sense of
proportion is a bit much.

This isn't 1960

Also, if you have to watch the TV in a 4:3 mode the picture is a lot
smaller.

But of course a lot of people don't mind using the "stretch" mode and
watching a distorted picture.

I watch 4:3 aspect on my 16:9 cropped. Give a little top and bottom away
so you're not stretching much if any. I tried to get used to watching
stretched out but couldn't.

Kind of bothers me when I only see someone's eyeballs at the top of
the screen G Zoom works great if the the program has horizontal
bars, you only lose the bars then and none of the actual picture.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

Jim wrote:

[...]

An inelegant solution would be to plug the tv into a a timer outlet and just
set the timer for whatever you want. Those timer outlets are also useful for
having timed lights while on vacation.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Jun 3, 4:57*pm, wrote:

wrote:
Since when is 24 to 32 inches "not too big"? Having grown up watching
a 13 inch black and white "GE Adventurer 1", I think your sense of
proportion is a bit much.

Go look at a 24 inch 16:9 widescreen TV and see what you think.

It's not very big at all compared to a 4:3 ratio 19 inch TV.

It's wider, but a LOT shorter vertically.

Guess you should know....right HD Boi?

So, are you saying that the picture on a 16:9 wide screen is taller
than the picture on a 4:3 19 inch TV? I'd say that makes you a self
professed idiot once again Mo-Ron

Did I say that?

How many ****ing screen names do you have Mr 720p Isn't HD? Now THAT
was a moronic comment!
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Jun 3, 5:00*pm, wrote:

wrote:
Since when is 24 to 32 inches "not too big"? Having grown up watching a
13 inch black and white "GE Adventurer 1", I think your sense of
proportion is a bit much.

This isn't 1960

Also, if you have to watch the TV in a 4:3 mode the picture is a lot
smaller.

But of course a lot of people don't mind using the "stretch" mode and
watching a distorted picture.

I watch 4:3 aspect on my 16:9 cropped. Give a little top and bottom away
so you're not stretching much if any. I tried to get used to watching
stretched out but couldn't.

Kind of bothers me when I only see someone's eyeballs at the top of
the screen G Zoom works great if the the program has horizontal
bars, you only lose the bars then and none of the actual picture.

Hoo Boy! Now THAT is some awesome high def you're watching there,
Mo-Ron! Almost like 3-D, even!!!

Bwhahahahaha!

I've already schooled you once on HD, I won't take up space in this
group doing it again, Salty, err, yetanothermickey, err, Rob Budd.

What a ****ing clown you are.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"h" wrote:
-snip-

An inelegant solution would be to plug the tv into a a timer outlet and just
set the timer for whatever you want.

Also not likely to work. When you cut power to any of the last 1/2
dozen TVs I've owned, they turn themselves off.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Green wrote:
(Amusing rant snipped)

heh. Reminds me of my confusion when I came home and found my youngest
two PCs on, and I knew I had left them off. There had been a power blip,
because some of the clocks were blinking 1200. This happened 2-3 times
(thunderstorm season in a semi-rural area), before the penny dropped and
I looked in the BIOS on the PCs, and found a setting where one could
choose to auto-boot after a power loss. Guess it is part of ATX standard
for some reason- mebbe for non-attended operations. But the BIOS let me
disable it, so no more ghosts.

--
aem sends....
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Since when is 24 to 32 inches "not too big"? Having grown up watching
a 13 inch black and white "GE Adventurer 1", I think your sense of
proportion is a bit much.
Go look at a 24 inch 16:9 widescreen TV and see what you think.

It's not very big at all compared to a 4:3 ratio 19 inch TV.

It's wider, but a LOT shorter vertically.

And an LCD is very thin and light; almost feels like a toy compared to
the TVs of yore.

I guess an equivalent size would be a 19" or 21" CRT and I remember
those not being particularly light. I still have an excellent Samsung
CRT monitor that I bought new back in the mid-late 90s. It'll
probably stay in my garage until I clean up and recycle it

nate

I feel your pain. I have about 6 or 7 perfectly good 17" CRT monitors
sitting in corners around here that I can't GIVE away. (Mostly
Trinitron- damn things Will Not Die.) I'm too much of a cheap SOB to
send working equipment to be demanufactured, and my long-dead EE
grandfather would haunt me if I did. All leftovers from a brief period
when it was possible to make a few bucks on the side buying used
commercial PCs in bulk, cleaning them up, and reselling them at half the
price of a new one. Moore's law bit me in the ass, and I am stuck with a
couple hundred bucks (my cost) of working PIII PCs that are essentially
worthless. One of these days I'll throw Ubuntu on the lot of them, and
put them on Freecycle, just to get rid of them. (Perfectly competent
e-mail terminals for people that can't get their kids off the 'real' PC
for five minutes.)

Have you ever tried to Linux the boxes and post them on Craigslist?

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

That is almost what I said- Ubuntu being a flavor of Linux, and
Freecycle being rather like CL, just with lowered expectations. (IOW,
getting it gone is more important than getting money.) I suppose I
should try CL first, and maybe the swap board at work as well.

At this point, I'd GIVE them to a good home, or only charge what they
are worth to me for parts. (Hey, an optical burner is worth
something...) Gotta keep the one with a 5.25 floppy drive in it, though-
still got a file drawer full of those, most of which are probably still
readable.

I really need a SWMBO to nag my sorry ass into actually finishing any of
the projects I start- it has gotten rather out of control. I'd need to
at least clean up the front room enough to not scare strangers before I
place the CL ads, so they don't run in terror when I open the door.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

I have a lot of older computer gear that I hang on to because, believe
it or not, I have some customers who are still running DOS and certain
software simply because it works. The newfangled super fast motherboards
and CPU's are not compatible. People think I'm crazy for rescuing old
computers from the trash heap.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:
(snip)
I have a lot of older computer gear that I hang on to because, believe
it or not, I have some customers who are still running DOS and certain
software simply because it works. The newfangled super fast motherboards
and CPU's are not compatible. People think I'm crazy for rescuing old
computers from the trash heap.

TDD

Oh, I believe it. I keep an old slow Dell laptop chained under my desk
at work, that boots up in dos 6.22, and still has a 9-pin serial port.
The software I use to program the decade-old walkie-talkies that our
contractor staff uses, will not run under windows (even in a dos box),
or on a USB to serial adapter for the PC to radio interface box. They
used to try to keep replacing it on me, but I think it finally fell off
the inventory records. As long as we use those vintage radios (Motorola
HT1000), I need that relic of a PC, even if it only gets booted up 2-3
times a year. Those Motorolas are not dying anytime soon- these are from
before M. off-shored all their production, and are built to mil-spec
standards for outside use. Living inside an office building all day is
easy duty for them. I'll be retired before those radios are. (The kid
contractors keep asking for PTT cell phones to replace them, and I keep
telling them Not On My Watch- we OWN the radios and the repeater on the
roof, and I'm not gonna ask the taxpayers to start paying $40? a month
per user, for something that doesn't work as well. We have about 100 of
the radios, so it would be a hell of a cell phone bill.)

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:

-snip-
I really need a SWMBO to nag my sorry ass into actually finishing any of
the projects I start- it has gotten rather out of control.

Don't put too much hope into that. After the honeymoon is over you
end up with 2 sets of projects that need finishing.g

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:
Robert Green wrote:
(Amusing rant snipped)

heh. Reminds me of my confusion when I came home and found my youngest
two PCs on, and I knew I had left them off. There had been a power blip,
because some of the clocks were blinking 1200. This happened 2-3 times
(thunderstorm season in a semi-rural area), before the penny dropped and
I looked in the BIOS on the PCs, and found a setting where one could
choose to auto-boot after a power loss. Guess it is part of ATX standard
for some reason- mebbe for non-attended operations. But the BIOS let me
disable it, so no more ghosts.

We came home once to find our dining room light on, and were sure we had
turned it off. Since we had a problem neighbor at the time, I decided
to call police just to make a record of it. One cop told me the cat
probably turned it on ) Crime stats are probably very artificially
low where I live...good politics for police chiefs, mayors, realtors...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/3/2010 8:14 PM, cubby wrote:
... tell them what items they should push to get
a $3 commission

0
Curious to know which big box electronics store you are referring to
that remunerates its staff thus? Presumably this is pure (and
probably false) conjecture on your part.

Or not. Two young relatives of mine and at least two more children of
friends all reported the same thing when they worked there after college
until they got real jobs. They pump them up at the beginning of the
shift by telling them what particular items have spiffs and how much it was.

If you know better why did you challenge me?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

We came home once to find our dining room light on, and were sure we had

turned it off.

You live in the state made famous by Dave Barry and the "Tomato that Dialed
911." Apparently a tomato, rotting on a window ledge, began oozing acidic
tomato juice onto the phone below. Naturally, the goo shorted out the 911
speed dial key and the phone dialed 911 but no one answered the operator's
questions so they assumed the worst, send the police to break into the house
with their guns drawn to get the drop on the killer tomato.

-
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/5/2010 3:37 AM, aemeijers wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:
(snip)
[...]

I have a Dell C600 laptop that has a serial port and I use it to program
anything with a serial interface because some equipment will only work
with a (true) serial port. Those HT1000 radios are newer than the radios
I took care of for the contractor I worked for at the Kwajalein Missile
Range back in the late 80's. Those units were just as tough and were
also software programmable. Do you remember the old Motorola "brick"
cellphones? Those things were built like tanks too and you could run
over one of them with a truck and not break it.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/5/2010 3:37 AM, aemeijers wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:
(snip)
[...]

I used to have some computers like that at my last job. Hopefully the
people still there recognized their necessity for maintaining vintage
systems and did not ****can them.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

All you need to do is move. It's a lot cheaper than a SWMBO and they'll make
you do it anyway.

I'd need to
at least clean up the front room enough to not scare strangers before I
place the CL ads, so they don't run in terror when I open the door.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Nope. I still have crates from 2 moves ago that haven't been opened.
Some of them are the parts from my former freelance used-PC endeavors.
Not to mention the crates full of paperbacks that I will never read
again, that nobody else on earth wants, that I still can't bear to recycle.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Jun 4, 10:28*am, wrote:

wrote:
Since when is 24 to 32 inches "not too big"? Having grown up watching
a 13 inch black and white "GE Adventurer 1", I think your sense of
proportion is a bit much.

Go look at a 24 inch 16:9 widescreen TV and see what you think.

It's not very big at all compared to a 4:3 ratio 19 inch TV.

It's wider, but a LOT shorter vertically.

And an LCD is very thin and light; almost feels like a toy compared to
the TVs of yore.

I guess an equivalent size would be a 19" or 21" CRT and I remember
those not being particularly light. *I still have an excellent Samsung
CRT monitor that I bought new back in the mid-late 90s. *It'll
probably stay in my garage until I clean up and recycle it

nate

The vertical height is what is most important, as that determines how
tall people will be in the movie you are watching...

Widescreen 16:9 ratio

24" *= 20.92" wide 11.76" tall

22" *= 19.17" *10.78"

19" *= 16.56" *9.32"

Standard 4:3 ratio

20" *= 16.00" *12.00"

19" *= 15.2" *11.4"

17" *= 13.6" *10.2"

You left out letterbox on a 4:3, which makes the vertical height
height even smaller, but can also increased on a 16:9 with the zoom
feature.

http://www.cavecreations.com/tv2.cgi

http://www.cavecreations.com/tv2.cgi

http://www.cavecreations.com/tv2.cgi

And what is "most important" is debatable (not with you of course),
because if a movie was shot in 1.85:1 or 2.35:1 you are missing a lot
of the original content if the move is "formatted to fit this screen"
like a lot of VHS movies were.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Jim is offline

On Fri, 04 Jun 2010 06:42:47 -0700, N8N wrote:

I bought a 25" Samsung 1080p TV/monitor, and it has both a sleep timer
and a "real" timer. Also has the best on screen guide that I've seen
yet for OTA DTV. Unfortunately, I like it so much as a monitor for my
PC that it ended up downstairs on my desk, not in the bedroom, and I
guess I'll wait until I have $$ to buy another one to upgrade the
bedroom TV. I ordered mine from Newegg.

nate

Might that be the P2570HD? If so we have the same unit. Also wound up
getting mine at Newegg.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

I have a couple, but most will be opened as soon as I can get a shop put
together. Others are permanent storage, but most got dumped in the last
couple of moves (two 30yd roll-offs).

Some of them are the parts from my former freelance used-PC endeavors.
Not to mention the crates full of paperbacks that I will never read
again, that nobody else on earth wants, that I still can't bear to recycle.

We give paperbacks to the local library for their annual sale (a write-off,
too). Not sure what SWMBO does with the hard covers.