DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   More education desired on concrete driveway spalling (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/303822-more-education-desired-concrete-driveway-spalling.html)

[email protected] May 28th 10 07:10 PM

More education desired on concrete driveway spalling

So I live in Michigan ..snow/ice 4 to 5 months/year. My newly re-made
from-the-ground-up driveway is about 4-years old and has noticeable
spalling.

Can that be "resurfaced"? Would that be just a 'skim coat' or does it need
to be a number of inches thick?

Should I have tried to 'seal' the surface in some fashion? Can I do so now
and reduce future spalling?

We had a stamped/colored patio installed at the same time and the (same)
contractor sealed that with some sort of 'wet look' chemical. Still looks
new.

Appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.

[email protected] May 28th 10 10:11 PM

On May 28, 2:10�pm, wrote:
So I live in Michigan ..snow/ice 4 to 5 months/year. � My newly re-made
from-the-ground-up driveway is about 4-years old and has noticeable
spalling.

Can that be "resurfaced"? �Would that be just a 'skim coat' or does it need
to be a number of inches thick?

Should I have tried to 'seal' the surface in some fashion? �Can I do so now
and reduce future spalling?

We had a stamped/colored patio installed at the same time and the (same)
contractor sealed that with some sort of 'wet look' chemical. �Still looks
new.

Appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.

you can clean the suface as good as possible, and seal. it wouldnt fix
the old spalling but should dramatically slow additional spalling.

apply the sealer liberally, and leave it sit at least 24 hours. I have
used thompsons water seal but it appears to be reformulated, for low
VOC but not as good:(

It darkens the surface some but prevents water absorbation, which
combined with freezing causes spalling.

ideally replace the concrete, adding a layer will not last long
espically where it freezes