DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Resurfacing a Concrete Driveway (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/303775-re-resurfacing-concrete-driveway.html)

[email protected] May 27th 10 03:51 PM

Resurfacing a Concrete Driveway

On May 27, 8:21�am, mcp6453 wrote:
My rather large concrete driveway has a lot of cracks and loose pieces.
Assuming that the pieces were properly secured (now that the ground
beneath them has settled for 20 years), is there a way to put a new
surface on top of an existing driveway? My understanding is that a
second layer of concrete has to be a certain thickness to prevent
cracking and to properly adhere to the concrete beneath it. Or, how does
a second layer adhere to a first?

Covering the driveway with asphalt is not an option. If there are other
ideas or suggestions, please offer them. The ground as migrated around
the existing driveway over the years, so raising the height a couple of
inches would not be a big deal.

Since the base layer of concrete has cracked ANY coating you put over
top WILL ALSO CRACK:(

So top coating is a waste of money unless your trying to pretty it up
to sell.

If your going to b there for years its far better off to just replace
the driveway.