Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wave "Dehumidifier" -- Has anyone here tried it?

I live in an area with a high water table, and my basement gets quite
humid; it recently flooded when the sump pump failed. The basement
area is about 1300 to 1500 sq ft, and is divided into rooms, though
only two of those rooms (one of which is a store room that also houses
the sump) have doors. There is also a small room housing the gas
furnace and hot-water heater. I used to have a small, inadequate
dehumidifier (built into the partition between the main room and sump
room) that ran all the time and did little good. One satisified owner
in a similar locale has recommended the Wave Home Solutions
ventilation unit, which should certainly use less power than a large
dehumidifier, but I'd like other opinions. Anyone here have experience
with it? Any suggestions on what to look for in a regular dehumidifier?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 26, 7:30*pm, Ivan wrote:
I live in an area with a high water table, and my basement gets quite
humid; it recently flooded when the sump pump failed. *The basement
area is about 1300 to 1500 sq ft, and is divided into rooms, though
only two of those rooms (one of which is a store room that also houses
the sump) have doors. There is also a small room housing the gas
furnace and hot-water heater. I used to have a small, inadequate
dehumidifier (built into the partition between the main room and sump
room) that ran all the time and did little good. One satisified owner
in a similar locale has recommended the Wave Home Solutions
ventilation unit, which should certainly use less power than a large
dehumidifier, but I'd like other opinions. Anyone here have experience
with it? Any suggestions on what to look for in a regular dehumidifier?

All the Wave does is vent the basement, just put a fan in a basement
window and there is your expensive "wave". It wont do much, ive tried
my own homemade setup and it didnt help me. My Energy Star humidifier
uses about 4-5$ a month on a 600 sq ft basement and keeps my humididty
low, if its below around 68 in the basement when you plan on using it
get a low temp model, consumer reports has reviews online.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/26/2010 7:30 PM, Ivan wrote:
I live in an area with a high water table, and my basement gets quite
humid; it recently flooded when the sump pump failed. The basement
area is about 1300 to 1500 sq ft, and is divided into rooms, though
only two of those rooms (one of which is a store room that also houses
the sump) have doors. There is also a small room housing the gas
furnace and hot-water heater. I used to have a small, inadequate
dehumidifier (built into the partition between the main room and sump
room) that ran all the time and did little good.

I have a damp basement split into three rooms. I used to run two
dehumidifiers down there, then learned that setting up a fan on a
timer in one of the rooms allowed me to get just as good results with
only one dehumidifier. I have the fan run three times a day for two
hours each time. It uses a lot less electricity than a second
dehumidifier, and moves the air well enough that one dehumidifier can
work efficiently. It'd be a cheap thing for you to try out and see if
it works for you. Note: I use a box fan set on the floor, because the
dampest air is down by the floor, and I figure anything smaller than a
box fan wouldn't cut the mustard.

One satisified owner
in a similar locale has recommended the Wave Home Solutions
ventilation unit, which should certainly use less power than a large
dehumidifier, but I'd like other opinions. Anyone here have experience
with it? Any suggestions on what to look for in a regular dehumidifier?

I looked into the Humidex, which is essentially the same thing under a
different brand. It was expensive, so I ginned up a homemade version
using six-inch ductwork running up the wall from the floor and venting
out a basement window. I placed a six-inch fan on the floor right into
the duct, so it would draw the damp floor air up and out the window. I
turned off my usual dehumidifier/fan combo and gave this setup a
three-day test, allowing it to run constantly. I quit after three
days, because the increase in humidity in the basement was _very_
noticeable.

A couple things to note - a basement dehumidifier gets a big boost
when central a/c is running - but I'm in a climate where I run central
air only occasionally, so my basement dehumidifier usually doesn't get
that assist and does fine anyway. I did not have the central air on
when my DIY device was running, and frankly, just exhausting the
basement air (which is all it does) wasn't sufficient to keep down the
humidity. This concept probably works a lot better when central a/c is
running, because the central a/c ends up doing the dehumidifying. So
if you run a/c most of the summer, it might work out better for you. I
expect the commercial version probably works a bit more efficiently
than my DIY version, but given the results of my DIY version, I ended
up disconnecting it and going back to my usual dehumidifier/fan combo.

Frankly, I was disappointed. I'd hoped I'd be able to get away from
running the dehumidifier altogether. Nope.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
ransley wrote:
On May 26, 7:30*pm, Ivan wrote:
[...]

What's different about a "low temp" model? (Never heard the term
until saw your post)

David

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wave

Lookup ... basement systems inc. And find your local dealer for a true permanent solution.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 30 Aug 2014 09:27:53 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

Lookup ... basement systems inc. And find your local dealer for a true permanent solution.

I don't have a basement.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Lookup ... basement systems inc. And find your local dealer for a true permanent solution.

I don't have a basement.

I've got some table salt, and tap water. Maybe
I can make a permanent solution?

Wave:
http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/f/20...ie-d5o8tkb.gif

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Ivan, jill wrote:
it does not work and then no resonse after the installation . No answered
emails or return follow up . a scam and I fell for it and did not trust my
intuition . They say to set it on 30 percent. after three days nothing but a
basement still at 70percent humidity which I bought a meter at the hardware
store . No response back from DALE.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...it-444013-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, October 21, 2017 at 5:44:05 PM UTC-4, jill wrote:
replying to Ivan, jill wrote:
it does not work and then no resonse after the installation . No answered
emails or return follow up . a scam and I fell for it and did not trust my
intuition . They say to set it on 30 percent. after three days nothing but a
basement still at 70percent humidity which I bought a meter at the hardware
store . No response back from DALE.

Is it only drawing air from upstairs in the house? What's the temp and
humidity there? It won't be lower humidity than that and if it's say
78F temp upstairs and 60F in the basement, then the humidity in the
basement will be higher than that upstairs as the air cools. The system
relies on pulling conditioned air from upstairs into the basement while
pushing basement air outside. It also depends on how it's installed.
I would think that if you had the exhaust on one end of the basement,
the air coming from upstairs at the opposite end, it would work well.
If you have the exhaust at one end and the air from upstairs coming
down close by, it will just be sucking air from upstairs and pushing it
outside, not doing much to change the humidity in the rest of the basement.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, May 26, 2010 at 8:30:49 PM UTC-4, Ivan wrote:
I live in an area with a high water table, and my basement gets quite
humid; it recently flooded when the sump pump failed. The basement
area is about 1300 to 1500 sq ft, and is divided into rooms, though
only two of those rooms (one of which is a store room that also houses
the sump) have doors. There is also a small room housing the gas
furnace and hot-water heater. I used to have a small, inadequate
dehumidifier (built into the partition between the main room and sump
room) that ran all the time and did little good. One satisified owner
in a similar locale has recommended the Wave Home Solutions
ventilation unit, which should certainly use less power than a large
dehumidifier, but I'd like other opinions. Anyone here have experience
with it? Any suggestions on what to look for in a regular dehumidifier?

Drew, the sales guy, promises the moon and fails to deliver. Sounds like half snake, half used car salesman. When sending email correspondence he only answers some question and seems to have problems communicating.

After the sell, you'll get no response until you open a card dispute. Then, they demand pictures proving their ideal install. They will make you jump through fiery hopes to return the item and then will charge you a restocking fee.

This device, just so you are aware, is a very large PC style fan in a large empty box. Weighs ~1 pound. All it will do is provide so ventilation. You can buy a much more powerful squirrel cage fan for 10% of the cost. They claim it will take multiples SEAONS for humidity to go down lol. Does nothing but push air (A very small amount).

Told this con artist my outside humidity is higher than inside, but still promised it would work. When trying to do a return you get routed to another company - because they are only white labeling the use of this product. I use this word sparingly, but it's a brilliant scam. You've been warned.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, October 18, 2018 at 8:42:18 PM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

It will work with outside humidity higher. It pulls air OUT of the basement,
with return air coming from upstairs, inside the conditioned airspace.
Say it's 85F outside, high humidity. So, you have the AC running in the
house. This thing blows basement air outside, with the replacement air
coming into the basement from the conditioned air upstairs, that is low
humidity. That upstairs air in turn is made up by outside air entering
through cracks around doors, windows, etc. So, you're pulling high humidity,
hot air into the upstairs with the house AC cooling it and removing the
humidity. They tell you it costs little to operate the fan, but ignore
the AC energy upstairs that has an increased load due to constantly pulling
in outside hot, humid air. AFAIK, that's how it works. So, I can see how
it works, but it also sounds like the true cost shows up in the AC electric
usage, which will be higher. There is no free lunch.

I came to your conclusion from looking at it years ago. Like you say,
it's just a fan with a humidistat control. You could put that together
for what, $75 in parts?

When trying to do a return you get routed to another company - because they are only white labeling the use of this product. I use this word sparingly, but it's a brilliant scam. You've been warned.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The WAVE product is ok, just way over-priced. The Breeze (sold on Amazon, Ebay, and Breeze website) does the same thing, is made with quality parts in USA, and costs a small fraction of the price of the WAVE unit (entry unit sells for $349). Also, it is backed by a five-year warranty. Breeze also sells a more powerful unit (the DL) with two fans, for large basements. Check it out!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, June 24, 2010 at 8:01:43 PM UTC-5, David Combs wrote:
In article ,
ransley wrote:

All the Wave does is vent the basement, just put a fan in a basement
window and there is your expensive "wave". It wont do much, ive tried
my own homemade setup and it didnt help me. My Energy Star humidifier
uses about 4-5$ a month on a 600 sq ft basement and keeps my humididty
low, if its below around 68 in the basement when you plan on using it
get a low temp model, consumer reports has reviews online.

What's different about a "low temp" model? (Never heard the term
until saw your post)

A dehumidifier works by blowing air across a cold coil (like air
flowing through a window air-conditioner). It also has a hot coil
where it dumps the heat. When air flow across the cold coil the
moisture in the air condenses on the coil and then drips into a
collection pan. The problem is that in a cool location like a
damp basement this cold coil can ice up. A "low temp" dehumidifier
runs in "reverse" every so often so that the cold coil heats up. This
will melt any ice that may have accumulated on the coil.