DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Lawn mower problem (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/303214-lawn-mower-problem.html)

bob callaway May 18th 10 02:19 AM

Lawn mower problem

My lawn mower runs for a while, but when it is shut it down I cannot restart
it. In addition the gas leaks out of the tank. For starters what could be
the problem? Should I take it to get it repaired or is this something I can
fix myself

Dean Hoffman[_7_] May 18th 10 02:22 AM

Lawn mower problem

bob callaway wrote:
My lawn mower runs for a while, but when it is shut it down I cannot
restart it. In addition the gas leaks out of the tank. For starters what
could be the problem? Should I take it to get it repaired or is this
something I can fix myself

Where is the leak exactly?

[email protected] May 18th 10 02:59 AM

Lawn mower problem

On Mon, 17 May 2010 20:22:24 -0500, Dean Hoffman
wrote:

bob callaway wrote:
My lawn mower runs for a while, but when it is shut it down I cannot
restart it. In addition the gas leaks out of the tank. For starters what
could be the problem? Should I take it to get it repaired or is this
something I can fix myself

Where is the leak exactly?

The float valve in the carb is not sealing.
If you are real handy you can fix it sourself, otherwise take it to a
shop or find a friend who knows what he's doing with an engine.

Joseph Capgras May 18th 10 02:06 PM

Lawn mower problem

bob callaway wrote:
My lawn mower runs for a while, but when it is shut it down I cannot
restart it. In addition the gas leaks out of the tank. For starters what
could be the problem? Should I take it to get it repaired or is this
something I can fix myself

Just wondering here-- do you think it might be helpful to mention what
make and model lawnmower and what engine you've got if you expect some help?

Then again, anyone who would post what you did definitely better take it
someplace to get it fixed. Would you like some instructions on how to
get it into your car or truck and help laying out the route to the
repair facility, hmmmm??

ransley May 18th 10 04:15 PM

Lawn mower problem

wrote:
bob callaway wrote:
My lawn mower runs for a while, but when it is shut it down I cannot
restart it. In addition the gas leaks out of the tank. For starters what
could be the problem? Should I take it to get it repaired or is this
something I can fix myself

* * Where is the leak exactly?

The float valve in the carb is not sealing.
If you are real handy you can fix it sourself, otherwise take it to a
shop or find a friend who knows what he's doing with an engine.

If it was the float sticking wouldnt it just flood the motor, the tank
leak seams to be a seperate issue.

ransley May 18th 10 04:19 PM

Lawn mower problem

On May 17, 8:19*pm, "bob callaway" wrote:
My lawn mower runs for a while, but when it is shut it down I cannot restart
it. In addition the gas leaks out of the tank. For starters what could be
the problem? Should I take it to get it repaired or is this something I can
fix myself

What make is it old. Is it choked, flooded, or a lean mix, is it auto
choke, does it release, did you pull the plug to see, and thats the
time to verify you have spark, when its hot to rule out ignition
failure. Is oil contaminated with gas indicating a bad float or do you
know nothing about mowers except where the gas goes and to pull the
rope.

Dean Hoffman[_7_] May 19th 10 02:27 AM

Lawn mower problem

wrote:

bob callaway wrote:
My lawn mower runs for a while, but when it is shut it down I cannot
restart it. In addition the gas leaks out of the tank. For starters what
could be the problem? Should I take it to get it repaired or is this
something I can fix myself

Where is the leak exactly?

The float valve in the carb is not sealing.
If you are real handy you can fix it sourself, otherwise take it to a
shop or find a friend who knows what he's doing with an engine.

I think you're right after rereading the post. A farmer solution
would be a couple, three taps on the carburetor then maybe a very
generous dose of carb cleaner.
I got an old roto tiller running once by using a tankful of pure carb
cleaner. It actually ran halfway decent after that.