Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Need help repiring rust hole in Weber grill dome

Discovered 1/2 inch hole in my Weber Grill dome.

I have a Benzomatic torch, but would like a simple way to repair hole
before I repaint.

Thanks for your help.

Bruce
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bruce K. wrote:
Discovered 1/2 inch hole in my Weber Grill dome.

I have a Benzomatic torch, but would like a simple way to repair hole
before I repaint.

If you have a hole in your grill, buy a new grill. If you are really
stubborn, get a small section of sheet metal and some sheet metal screws and
hack up a patch.

Or you could just leave it alone and call it a vent.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bruce K. wrote:

Discovered 1/2 inch hole in my Weber Grill dome.

I have a Benzomatic torch, but would like a simple way to repair hole
before I repaint.

Get your angle grinder out & grind off the rust- back to where the
metal isn't rusted. At this point you'll likely have a large ring of
clean steel. Throw it out-- along with the rest of your old grill &
go buy a new one.

For about $100 you can get a Char-griller from Lowes. Mine is 6
years old & I just ordered a new warming rack and charcoal rack for
mine. They were $60 with shipping- but my cast iron grates and the
barrel are still like new- so it was worth it to me to keep the
seasoned grates and cake of flavor that is on the inside of my barrel.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 15, 8:02�am, Bruce K. wrote:
Discovered 1/2 inch hole in my Weber Grill dome.

I have a Benzomatic torch, but would like a simple way to repair hole
before I repaint.

Thanks for your help.

Bruce

1.2 inch bolt and fender washers

have you EVER painted a grill before?

Grill paint for high temperatures in pricey and never lasts like the
original factory finish Plus it STINKS the first few times you se
grill

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On May 15, 8:08*am, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:
Bruce K. wrote:
Discovered 1/2 inch hole in my Weber Grill dome.

I have a Benzomatic torch, but would like a simple way to repair hole
before I repaint.

If you have a hole in your grill, buy a new grill.

Yeah, if you have a broken window pane, buy a whole new window.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 15 May 2010 11:31:48 -0700 (PDT), Ron wrote:

On May 15, 8:08*am, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:
Bruce K. wrote:
Discovered 1/2 inch hole in my Weber Grill dome.

I have a Benzomatic torch, but would like a simple way to repair hole
before I repaint.

If you have a hole in your grill, buy a new grill.

Yeah, if you have a broken window pane, buy a whole new window.

If the frame is broken, yes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

news

wrote:
Bruce K. wrote:
Discovered 1/2 inch hole in my Weber Grill dome.

I have a Benzomatic torch, but would like a simple way to repair hole
before I repaint.

If you have a hole in your grill, buy a new grill.

Yeah, if you have a broken window pane, buy a whole new window.

If the frame is broken, yes.

That calls for a new house.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

news

wrote:
Bruce K. wrote:
Discovered 1/2 inch hole in my Weber Grill dome.

I have a Benzomatic torch, but would like a simple way to repair hole
before I repaint.

If you have a hole in your grill, buy a new grill.

Yeah, if you have a broken window pane, buy a whole new window.

If the frame is broken, yes.

That calls for a new house.

Using Jon Danniken's logic.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 15 May 2010 12:23:24 -0700 (PDT), Ron wrote:

wrote:
Bruce K. wrote:
Discovered 1/2 inch hole in my Weber Grill dome.

I have a Benzomatic torch, but would like a simple way to repair hole
before I repaint.

If you have a hole in your grill, buy a new grill.

Yeah, if you have a broken window pane, buy a whole new window.

If the frame is broken, yes.

WINDOW PANE.

Do you know what an analogy is? ...or do you not know how to read?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bruce K. wrote:
Discovered 1/2 inch hole in my Weber Grill dome.

I have a Benzomatic torch, but would like a simple way to repair hole
before I repaint.

Thanks for your help.

Bruce

Nobody else said it, so I will- how old is the grill? You said 'dome',
so I am assuming this is the classic charcoal model. According to the
website ( http://www.weber.com/help//warranties.aspx ), there is a 10
year warranty against rust/burn-through. Is there still a data plate on
yours? Before you start sanding, it may be worth taking some digital
pics of data plate and the hole, and asking them. Sometimes,
manufacturers even go beyond the warranty period as a goodwill gesture,
since so few people ever collect- they just chuck it and buy a new one.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

With the heat of a cook kettle, most auto body type repairs
won't stand the heat. I'm not sure what a propane torch has
to do with the question.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Bruce K." wrote in message
Discovered 1/2 inch hole in my Weber Grill dome.

I have a Benzomatic torch, but would like a simple way to
repair hole
before I repaint.

Thanks for your help.

Bruce

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

wrote:
Bruce K. wrote:
Discovered 1/2 inch hole in my Weber Grill dome.

I have a Benzomatic torch, but would like a simple way to repair hole
before I repaint.

If you have a hole in your grill, buy a new grill.

Yeah, if you have a broken window pane, buy a whole new window.

If the frame is broken, yes.

WINDOW PANE.

Do you know what an analogy is?

Apparently you don't. The OP didn't say I have a 1/2" hole in my
grill's lid and the hinges are broken.

or do you not know how to read?

Apparently you don't.

Get the last word in like you always have to.

Posted to alt.home.repair
MIB MIB is offline

Default Need help repairing rust hole in Weber grill dome

"Ron" wrote in message

Yeah, if you have a broken window pane, buy a whole new window.

If the frame is broken, yes.

WINDOW PANE.

I have a scratch on one of the rims on my truck. According to these jokers
I need to replace the axle. I don't know if these people are willfully
ignorant,
purposefully misleading, or just plain assholes. There seems to be a great
number of individuals who fall into each of the above categories with the
main theme in this group being to not give a direct, succinct answer, and to
go off on a tangent about possibilities that are generally irrelevant to the
question at hand.

If your torch is a mixing torch, and you have the Oxygen and Mapp gas to
go with it, all you need is a steel brazing rod and a metal plate to braze
into place.

High-temp, glossy, brake-caliper paint might hold up to the temperature.
It is supposedly good up to 900 F. I can't vouch for it at all, and can't give
a recommendation, but this could be a learning experience and you could
get back to us with this, eh?

Of course, I am presuming that you know how to braze and such. If not, this
could be a little project to learn on.

An option is to take the lid to a local weld shop and have them Mig a patch
piece onto it. This might cost ten bucks, or a six pack.

Am I right in thinking that the grill is mostly functional but needs a bit of
maintenance,
and rather than spend $90+ on a new Weber you are trying to fix the trusty ol'
friend?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 15 May 2010 15:39:06 -0700 (PDT), Ron wrote:

wrote:
Bruce K. wrote:
Discovered 1/2 inch hole in my Weber Grill dome.

I have a Benzomatic torch, but would like a simple way to repair hole
before I repaint.

If you have a hole in your grill, buy a new grill.

Yeah, if you have a broken window pane, buy a whole new window.

If the frame is broken, yes.

WINDOW PANE.

Do you know what an analogy is?

Apparently you don't. The OP didn't say I have a 1/2" hole in my
grill's lid and the hinges are broken.

Once there is a hole in the grill, it's done.

or do you not know how to read?

Apparently you don't.

IKWYABWAI?

Get the last word in like you always have to.

In this case, since you made a point that needed answering, yes.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 15 May 2010 11:31:48 -0700 (PDT), Ron
wrote:

On May 15, 8:08*am, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:
Bruce K. wrote:
Discovered 1/2 inch hole in my Weber Grill dome.

I have a Benzomatic torch, but would like a simple way to repair hole
before I repaint.

If you have a hole in your grill, buy a new grill.

This is alt.home.repair. Not alt.home.waste.money.

And the grill will work fine with the hole.

Yeah, if you have a broken window pane, buy a whole new window.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On May 16, 12:07*am, mm wrote:
On Sat, 15 May 2010 11:31:48 -0700 (PDT), Ron
wrote:

On May 15, 8:08*am, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:
Bruce K. wrote:
Discovered 1/2 inch hole in my Weber Grill dome.

I have a Benzomatic torch, but would like a simple way to repair hole
before I repaint.

If you have a hole in your grill, buy a new grill.

This is alt.home.repair. *Not alt.home.waste.money.

And the grill will work fine with the hole. *

I didn't write that. Quite the opposite in fact. Although there is at
least one idiot in here that thinks that if a *Webber* grill has a
1/2" hole in the lid "it's done".
Posted to alt.home.repair

.

"Bruce K." wrote in message
Discovered 1/2 inch hole in my Weber Grill dome.

I have a Benzomatic torch, but would like a simple way to
repair hole
before I repaint.

Thanks for your help.

Bruce

I'm all for repairing things when feasible but one has to wonder it the lid
is rusting out , just how solid is the rest of the grill ?? It would really
suck to have burning charcoal falling onto the deck...Just say'in....

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ron wrote:
-snip-

I didn't write that. Quite the opposite in fact. Although there is at
least one idiot in here that thinks that if a *Webber* grill has a
1/2" hole in the lid "it's done".

I don't know if I'm the idiot, you're referring to-- but let me
clarify *my* opinion. If a 1/2 in hole bothers the OP-- he can
spend several hours repairing to get maybe one more season out of his
grill.

Or he can buy a new one for under $100. [or a lightly used one on
craigslist for 1/2 of that]

If *my* grill had a 1/2" hole- I'd live with it until I replaced the
grill. I doubt anyone who is bothered by one can make it look good
without spending more time than it is worth.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 16, 10:41�am, "benick" wrote:
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message

With the heat of a cook kettle, most auto body type repairs
won't stand the heat. I'm not sure what a propane torch has
to do with the question.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
�www.lds.org
.

"Bruce K." wrote in message
.. .
Discovered 1/2 inch hole in my Weber Grill dome.

I have a Benzomatic torch, but would like a simple way to
repair hole
before I repaint.

Thanks for your help.

Bruce

I'm all for repairing things when feasible but one has to wonder it the lid
is rusting out , just how solid is the rest of the grill ?? It would really
suck to have burning charcoal falling onto the deck...Just say'in....- Hide quoted text -

I rebuilt my now 30 year old gas grill a few years ago. Ground off the
bolts holding it together, put the cast alunimum parts in my gas self
cleaning oven, they came out looking brand new.

Replaced wood shelves with steel, repainted and reassembled. Had some
rusty steel areas welded.

New burner, new regulator and hose. Finding a replacement burner
required a stop at a speciality grill store.

It was a BIG job, but well worth it since it was my moms grill. We had
lots of nice meals on that before she died.

It would of been far easier and cheaper to buy a new grill, but this
project wet far beyond $$$

setiment has value too

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 16 May 2010 04:01:47 -0700 (PDT), Ron
wrote:

On May 16, 12:07*am, mm wrote:
On Sat, 15 May 2010 11:31:48 -0700 (PDT), Ron
wrote:

On May 15, 8:08*am, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:
Bruce K. wrote:
Discovered 1/2 inch hole in my Weber Grill dome.

I have a Benzomatic torch, but would like a simple way to repair hole
before I repaint.

If you have a hole in your grill, buy a new grill.

This is alt.home.repair. *Not alt.home.waste.money.

And the grill will work fine with the hole. *

I didn't write that.

I was relying on people to note the level of indentation. He had two
"" signs. I thought I might follow with a reply to your single
indentation, but didn't have anything to say. If I had also written
something in reply to you, would that have made the whole reply okay?

What is the concensus here? Is it okay to rely on the number of quote
indicators, or must the reply be amended by for example, deleting the
attribution line at the top?

Quite the opposite in fact. Although there is at
least one idiot in here that thinks that if a *Webber* grill has a
1/2" hole in the lid "it's done".

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On May 16, 12:07 am, mm wrote:
On Sat, 15 May 2010 11:31:48 -0700 (PDT), Ron
wrote:

On May 15, 8:08 am, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:
Bruce K. wrote:
Discovered 1/2 inch hole in my Weber Grill dome.
I have a Benzomatic torch, but would like a simple way to repair hole
before I repaint.
If you have a hole in your grill, buy a new grill.
This is alt.home.repair. Not alt.home.waste.money.

And the grill will work fine with the hole.

I didn't write that.

I was relying on people to note the level of indentation. He had two
"" signs. I thought I might follow with a reply to your single
indentation, but didn't have anything to say. If I had also written
something in reply to you, would that have made the whole reply okay?

What is the concensus here? Is it okay to rely on the number of quote
indicators, or must the reply be amended by for example, deleting the
attribution line at the top?

The number of signs is not always a reliable indicator, especially if
one or more people in the chain use Google or other non-standard posting
programs. (I learned about Google the hard way- I have to use Google
Groups when visiting relatives, since none of them are into Usenet, and
it is bad manners to reconfig somebody else's computer.) Plus, of
course, if anyone upthread has done snips without flagging them, it gets
more confusing. If you snip somebody's entire post out of a thread, yes,
you should also delete their name, IMHO. I usually try to swim upthread
and find a post that contains the fewest authors as possible, as close
to the part I am replying to as possible. If it is a long involved
thread and I am replying to multiple people, I may post a flag at the
top, and reply in-line, marking my words with something other than a .
But some people get all hissy at that, so I have been doing it less and
less, and posting multiple seperate replies instead.

I TRY to be careful about attributions and clipping, but even I screw up
once in a while, and I have been online over twenty years now.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:

True that- Every time I visit my father, he gives me some more of his
old tools, since he isn't up to doing much any more, at the age of 83.
Some of them are the same tools he taught me with, 40+ years ago. They
won't get loaned out, or live in a damp toolbox in the garage.

I ended up with a lot of my dads tools. It is special to be using them
while thinking of Dad. Although Dad wasn't always the happiest guy, in
fact when he was around most of us scrambled for safety! But when it
came time for him to do repairs, I was always there right next to him.
What ever he did I wanted to learn, I was just telling my mom a story
about a day fixing some plumbing, the torch was starting the wood on
fire so he told me to get a piece of metal to block the flame. I asked
How about an old Lisence plate? Yes, hurry up!! Oh you should have
heard him bitching when he discovered that back in the late 60's or
early 70's the changed to aluminum plates and he melted a hole through
it in no time! A little scary then, now I laugh about it. Hey, dad was
dad.

Just a few days ago I found an old tape measure of his. Trying to
remember the name, something like "Hankle and Mcoy" Like most of them
it was small, all metal of course. "Add two inches", it was about 2
inches square and 5/8 wide. No hold/lock button. I also have his 50'
also. Simple things like a carpenters square, with drips of paint, rust
here and there. I scraped off the paint and put some muriatic acid on
it and lightly brushed both side. Hosed it off and it looked almost
new. Gave it 2 coats of car wax and hung it on the wall.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

On May 16, 12:07 am, mm wrote:
On Sat, 15 May 2010 11:31:48 -0700 (PDT), Ron
wrote:

On May 15, 8:08 am, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:
Bruce K. wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the reply.

In this case, I quoted the whole post, including the one line from the

you should also delete their name, IMHO. I usually try to swim upthread
and find a post that contains the fewest authors as possible, as close
to the part I am replying to as possible. If it is a long involved
thread and I am replying to multiple people, I may post a flag at the
top, and reply in-line, marking my words with something other than a .
But some people get all hissy at that, so I have been doing it less and
less, and posting multiple seperate replies instead.

I TRY to be careful about attributions and clipping, but even I screw up
once in a while, and I have been online over twenty years now.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On May 16, 7:54*pm, aemeijers wrote:

The number of signs is not always a reliable indicator, especially if
one or more people in the chain use Google or other non-standard posting
programs. *(I learned about Google the hard way- I have to use Google
Groups when visiting relatives

I use GG 90% of the time and never have a problem.

The problem is with other newsreaders - Outlook Express for one - that
don't add the ""

But that wasn't the problem in this case.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On May 17, 1:12*am, mm wrote:,

Thanks for the reply.

In this case, I quoted the whole post, including the one line from the

You need to learn how to reply to a post correctly, period.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 16 May 2010 23:17:30 -0700 (PDT), Ron
wrote:

On May 17, 1:12*am, mm wrote:,

Thanks for the reply.

In this case, I quoted the whole post, including the one line from the

You need to learn how to reply to a post correctly, period.

So are you going to tell me what you think is correct, or just
complain?

And there were no missing "" signs. It was clear to anyone who paid
attention.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On May 17, 1:12*am, mm wrote:,

Thanks for the reply.

In this case, I quoted the whole post, including the one line from the

You need to learn how to reply to a post correctly, period.

Well, I thought you complained the first time too, but it was only
this time. So I withdrawn the complaint about your complaining,
since you only did once, but it still wasn't helpful.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ron wrote:
On May 16, 7:54 pm, aemeijers wrote:

The number of signs is not always a reliable indicator, especially
if one or more people in the chain use Google or other non-standard
posting programs. (I learned about Google the hard way- I have to
use Google Groups when visiting relatives

I use GG 90% of the time and never have a problem.

The problem is with other newsreaders - Outlook Express for one - that
don't add the ""

But that wasn't the problem in this case.

I'd still like to know what google groups does to their posts that prevents IE
from quoteing properly. They are the only posts that cause the problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, May 15, 2010 at 8:02:29 AM UTC-4, Bruce K. wrote:
Discovered 1/2 inch hole in my Weber Grill dome.

I have a Benzomatic torch, but would like a simple way to repair hole
before I repaint.

Thanks for your help.

Bruce

I have holes in the bottom of my webber. I took it to be welded because it rusted where the legs were attached and made holes. The welder said there is nothing to weld to because of the holes. Can I buy metal to make a new bottom?
Thanks for any help sent my way.

Martha
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, September 6, 2018 at 9:36:35 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Saturday, May 15, 2010 at 8:02:29 AM UTC-4, Bruce K. wrote:
Discovered 1/2 inch hole in my Weber Grill dome.

I have a Benzomatic torch, but would like a simple way to repair hole
before I repaint.

Thanks for your help.

Bruce

I have holes in the bottom of my webber. I took it to be welded because it rusted where the legs were attached and made holes. The welder said there is nothing to weld to because of the holes. Can I buy metal to make a new bottom?
Thanks for any help sent my way.

Martha

Sure you can buy sheet metal, but how are you going to shape it into
the exact bowl like shape? And then you'd have to cut off the legs,
have them welded back on, drill all the appropriate holes, openings,
etc. Even if one had the equipment on hand to do all that, it's not
even close to worth it. Time for a new grill.