DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   How to measure water flowing through small tubing? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/302469-how-measure-water-flowing-through-small-tubing.html)

james May 3rd 10 12:42 PM

How to measure water flowing through small tubing?

I have a dehumidifier with pump that drains via a small plastic tubing
(about 5mm OD).
I'd like to monitor its performance by measuring how much water flows
through the tubing.
This should be cumulative. E.g. after one day the meter may indicate 1
gallon, after 2 days it may say 2 gallons, etc.

Is there a meter to do this? What is it called (so I can search for it)?

cavedweller May 3rd 10 01:03 PM

On May 3, 7:42*am, "james" wrote:
I have a dehumidifier with pump that drains via a small plastic tubing
(about 5mm OD).
I'd like to monitor its performance by measuring how much water flows
through the tubing.
This should be cumulative. E.g. after one day the meter may indicate 1
gallon, after 2 days it may say 2 gallons, etc.

Is there a meter to do this? What is it called (so I can search for it)?

.....a large bucket, perhaps?

Stormin Mormon May 3rd 10 01:33 PM

How to measure water flowing through small tubing?

I'd place one of these high tech measuring devices under the
end of the hose, and it should provide accurate data logging
capability.
http://tinyurl.com/5tu25

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

jamesgangnc[_3_] May 3rd 10 01:49 PM

On May 3, 7:42*am, "james" wrote:
I have a dehumidifier with pump that drains via a small plastic tubing
(about 5mm OD).
I'd like to monitor its performance by measuring how much water flows
through the tubing.
This should be cumulative. E.g. after one day the meter may indicate 1
gallon, after 2 days it may say 2 gallons, etc.

Is there a meter to do this? What is it called (so I can search for it)?

They are called flow meters. I would suspect that one to accurate
measure such a slow flow would be challenging. Even regular one stend
to be pricey. It would not surprise me to find out that an accurate
measurement system would cost more than the dehumidifier. Get a 5
gallon bucket. Use a scale or mark the bucket inside. Do that for a
few weeks and keep a log.

ransley May 3rd 10 09:51 PM

On May 3, 6:42*am, "james" wrote:
I have a dehumidifier with pump that drains via a small plastic tubing
(about 5mm OD).
I'd like to monitor its performance by measuring how much water flows
through the tubing.
This should be cumulative. E.g. after one day the meter may indicate 1
gallon, after 2 days it may say 2 gallons, etc.

Is there a meter to do this? What is it called (so I can search for it)?

Why not use the tank or drain into a bucket, thats what I do.

Ralph Mowery May 4th 10 12:16 AM

"james" wrote in message
I have a dehumidifier with pump that drains via a small plastic tubing
(about 5mm OD).
I'd like to monitor its performance by measuring how much water flows
through the tubing.
This should be cumulative. E.g. after one day the meter may indicate 1
gallon, after 2 days it may say 2 gallons, etc.

Is there a meter to do this? What is it called (so I can search for it)?

YOu can use one of these, but you will not like the price.
http://www2.emersonprocess.com/en-US...ges/index.aspx

Search for Micromotion. They will be several thousand each.

I work with them often where I work.
Depending on the size you get, you can measure from a gallon every day or
less up to thousands of gallons.

As others mentioned, get a bucket or a gallon milk jug.