Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hard to Start Stihl FS 36 Trimmer?

I've had Subject trimmer for ten years, and of late it has been hard to
start. I've probably yanked on the cord about 80 times this morning, and
a few times it sputters and dies. I've had it in choke and run
positions. Usually run gets it going. The outside temp is 62F. The
little transparent fuel clear bulb has lots of fuel in it, as required.
There is a bubble in it that may be 1/2" in diameter. I used it the
other day for 30 minutes.

How to proceed?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"W. eWatson" wrote in message

I've had Subject trimmer for ten years, and of late it has been hard to
start. I've probably yanked on the cord about 80 times this morning, and
a few times it sputters and dies. I've had it in choke and run
positions. Usually run gets it going. The outside temp is 62F. The
little transparent fuel clear bulb has lots of fuel in it, as required.
There is a bubble in it that may be 1/2" in diameter. I used it the
other day for 30 minutes.

This normally happens when carburettor components
(diaphragms or springs) are sufficiently worn that they
no longer meet system specifications. The OP did not
say whether his carburettor was ever serviced in 10 years.
Miniature carbs like this do not last for ever.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 01 May 2010 12:28:57 -0700, "W. eWatson"
wrote:

I've had Subject trimmer for ten years, and of late it has been hard to
start. I've probably yanked on the cord about 80 times this morning, and
a few times it sputters and dies. I've had it in choke and run
positions. Usually run gets it going. The outside temp is 62F. The
little transparent fuel clear bulb has lots of fuel in it, as required.
There is a bubble in it that may be 1/2" in diameter. I used it the
other day for 30 minutes.

How to proceed?

Change the spark plug and try again.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Pull the spark plug out, and yank it a couple times with the
plug out. Might easily be flooded.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Oren" wrote in message

Change the spark plug and try again.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 1, 2:28*pm, "W. eWatson" wrote:
I've had Subject trimmer for ten years, and of late it has been hard to
start. I've probably yanked on the cord about 80 times this morning, and
a few times it sputters and dies. I've had it in choke and run
positions. Usually run gets it going. The outside temp is 62F. The
little transparent fuel clear bulb has lots of fuel in it, as required.
There is a bubble in it that may be 1/2" in diameter. I used it the
other day for 30 minutes.

How to proceed?

When my 36 got hard to start the carb was fouled from storing gas in
it and I had to get it cleaned. Pull the plug after trying and I bet
its wet and flooded, so use dont flood it if possible. Either-
starting fluid should help but the final solution might be a carb
cleaning, a new plug might help, when the plug is out ground it and
pull the cord to see if the spark is good.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/1/2010 2:00 PM, ransley wrote:
On May 1, 2:28 pm, "W. wrote:
I've had Subject trimmer for ten years, and of late it has been hard to
start. I've probably yanked on the cord about 80 times this morning, and
a few times it sputters and dies. I've had it in choke and run
positions. Usually run gets it going. The outside temp is 62F. The
little transparent fuel clear bulb has lots of fuel in it, as required.
There is a bubble in it that may be 1/2" in diameter. I used it the
other day for 30 minutes.

How to proceed?

When my 36 got hard to start the carb was fouled from storing gas in
it and I had to get it cleaned. Pull the plug after trying and I bet
its wet and flooded, so use dont flood it if possible. Either-
starting fluid should help but the final solution might be a carb
cleaning, a new plug might help, when the plug is out ground it and
pull the cord to see if the spark is good.

I suspect it is wet, but I can't find my spark plug wrench. I think it
looks like a socket wrench with a lever arm protruding from the side
about 8".

Cranking it without the plug isn't dangerous is it?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 01 May 2010 15:55:03 -0700, "W. eWatson"
wrote:

Cranking it without the plug isn't dangerous is it?

Not in my lifetime.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Cranking it without the plug isn't dangerous is it?

Not in my lifetime.

I wish you a long life. :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Cranking it without the plug isn't dangerous is it?

Not in my lifetime.

I wish you a long life. :-)

Pulled the plug. Gave it a few yanks on the cord. Tried again. No start.
Monday I'll take it to the saw shop, and tomorrow likely rent one for a
few hours.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 01 May 2010 18:28:42 -0700, "W. eWatson"
wrote:

Pulled the plug. Gave it a few yanks on the cord. Tried again. No start.
Monday I'll take it to the saw shop, and tomorrow likely rent one for a
few hours.

Like I mention:

_Change the spark plug and try again._

Posted to alt.home.repair

W. eWatson wrote:
I've had Subject trimmer for ten years, and of late it has been hard to
start. I've probably yanked on the cord about 80 times this morning, and
a few times it sputters and dies. I've had it in choke and run
positions. Usually run gets it going. The outside temp is 62F. The
little transparent fuel clear bulb has lots of fuel in it, as required.
There is a bubble in it that may be 1/2" in diameter. I used it the
other day for 30 minutes.

How to proceed?

My friend's trimmer wouldn't run so we got the manual cleaned the
carb, took out the needle valves, sprayed cleaner into the holes,
put the needle valve screws back in using the manual as a guide
for the number of turns open from fully closed and fueled it up.
It cranked and ran on the first pull.

I blew his mind once when I ran a weed eater on compressed air.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 1, 2:28 pm, "W. wrote:
[...]

You can test the ignition system of a 2 cycle trimmer by using
compressed air. Put the rubber tip of a blow gun or spark plug
adapter attached to an air compressor tank and the engine will
run on 50psi air. You pressurize it and pull the starter rope
to get it started and it will putt merrily along. You can see
if you get a good spark from the detached plug wire while the
motor spins. It's no mystery if you understand how 2 cycle
engines operate.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Just pull the spark plug wire away from the hole, and tuck
it behind something (or tape it to the side of the machine).
Yanking without the spark plug will help dry out the
cylinder, which is probably flooded. Might restart, then,
after the spark plug is put back in.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"W. eWatson" wrote in message

I suspect it is wet, but I can't find my spark plug wrench.
I think it
looks like a socket wrench with a lever arm protruding from
the side
about 8".

Cranking it without the plug isn't dangerous is it?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Cranking it without the plug isn't dangerous is it?

Not in my lifetime.

I wish you a long life. :-)

Pulled the plug. Gave it a few yanks on the cord. Tried again. No start.
Monday I'll take it to the saw shop, and tomorrow likely rent one for a
few hours.

Taking out the plug and just pulling it a few times does and proves
nothing. Was the plug wet indicating flooding? Did you attemp to check
for spark. Starting fluid would be something easy to do that might
make it go. Its only dangerout taking out the plug and pulling the
cord when you stick you foot inside the cilinder.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On May 1, 2:28*pm, "W. eWatson" wrote:
I've had Subject trimmer for ten years, and of late it has been hard to
start. I've probably yanked on the cord about 80 times this morning, and
a few times it sputters and dies. I've had it in choke and run
positions. Usually run gets it going. The outside temp is 62F. The
little transparent fuel clear bulb has lots of fuel in it, as required.
There is a bubble in it that may be 1/2" in diameter. I used it the
other day for 30 minutes.

How to proceed?

Stihl products I have had usually had starting problems with fuel
lines cracking. Worst case was a chain saw only 2 years old, only
worked decently the first year. If you tinker with the carb, a new
fuel line might be a good idea.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Pulled the plug. Gave it a few yanks on the cord. Tried again. No start.
Monday I'll take it to the saw shop, and tomorrow likely rent one for a
few hours.

Like I mention:

_Change the spark plug and try again._

Still doesn't work. Well, tomorrow it goes to the saw shop for inspection.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Pulled the plug. Gave it a few yanks on the cord. Tried again. No start.
Monday I'll take it to the saw shop, and tomorrow likely rent one for a
few hours.

Like I mention:

_Change the spark plug and try again._

Still doesn't work. Well, tomorrow it goes to the saw shop for inspection.

Please report back what the shop finds out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 1, 4:00*pm, ransley wrote:
[...]

Ether is NOT a good idea on a 2-cycle. WD-40 (butane and lube) will
do no harm as primer to start fuel moving again.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 2, 4:33*pm, Bob Villa wrote:
On May 1, 4:00*pm, ransley wrote:

[...]

do no harm as primer to start fuel moving again.- Hide quoted text -

Use Either-starting fluid that has Oil added
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 1, 4:00*pm, ransley wrote:

[...]

NOT recommended by experienced 2-cycle techs! BIGGER bang...is not
necessarily a BETTER bang!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 1, 4:00*pm, ransley wrote:

[...]

necessarily a BETTER bang!- Hide quoted text -

For starting and not continual use it wont hurt anything, the
cilinders are oil coated and the either I use has oil. Plus its a
vapor it wont wash cilinders nearly as bad as flooding it with
gasolene.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 1, 4:00*pm, ransley wrote:

[...]

Well...this is only advice (and caution).
Posted to alt.home.repair

I took it in this morning, and the "silent" mechanic gave it a shot. In
about two minutes he had it running. I asked him what he did. Two pushes
on the rubber ball to prime it, and set it to Choke. I think it took him
about 10-12 pulls to get it to life. I said I often start with Run. He
said again use Choke.

I got home and did exactly what he did. Nothing after about 15 pulls, so
I switched to Run and with about 8 pulls it was running.

I think my problem is that after I've about gotten to 15-20 strokes, I
prime about 5-6 times, according to the number in the book. I may be
flooding it. I guess that's detected by the pull getting jerky.

30 minutes latter I had chopped down 3' dense weeds in my wife's 20x20
garden, and knocked off about 15 minutes worth of other scattered weeds
around the property. Mission accomplished.

Posted to alt.home.repair
MLD MLD is offline

"W. eWatson" wrote in message
I took it in this morning, and the "silent" mechanic gave it a shot. In
about two minutes he had it running. I asked him what he did. Two pushes on
the rubber ball to prime it, and set it to Choke. I think it took him about
10-12 pulls to get it to life. I said I often start with Run. He said again
use Choke.

I got home and did exactly what he did. Nothing after about 15 pulls, so I
switched to Run and with about 8 pulls it was running.

I think my problem is that after I've about gotten to 15-20 strokes, I
prime about 5-6 times, according to the number in the book. I may be
flooding it. I guess that's detected by the pull getting jerky.

30 minutes latter I had chopped down 3' dense weeds in my wife's 20x20
garden, and knocked off about 15 minutes worth of other scattered weeds
around the property. Mission accomplished.

I was having a heck of a time getting mine started--spoke to an "old codger"
at manufacturer's Tech support. Recommendation was to push the prime bulb
about 14 times (vs. 7 for manual) according to him it would not flood the
engine as the excess fuel just goes around in some sort of loop. Then I
noticed that the fuel supply tube in in the gas tank was pointing down and
at times could actually be out of the fuel while I was pulling away. I
rotated the machine such that the tube was always immersed in fuel when
starting and that made a major difference in getting it running. Minimal
starting problem since I made that adjustment. Also, after too many pulls
and no start, the tech guy said put it in the Run position.
MLD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/3/2010 10:48 AM, Jeff The Drunk wrote:
On Mon, 03 May 2010 10:13:38 -0700, "W. eWatson"
wrote:

I took it in this morning, and the "silent" mechanic gave it a shot. In
about two minutes he had it running. I asked him what he did. Two pushes
on the rubber ball to prime it, and set it to Choke. I think it took him
about 10-12 pulls to get it to life. I said I often start with Run. He
said again use Choke.

I got home and did exactly what he did. Nothing after about 15 pulls, so
I switched to Run and with about 8 pulls it was running.

I think my problem is that after I've about gotten to 15-20 strokes, I
prime about 5-6 times, according to the number in the book. I may be
flooding it. I guess that's detected by the pull getting jerky.

30 minutes latter I had chopped down 3' dense weeds in my wife's 20x20
garden, and knocked off about 15 minutes worth of other scattered weeds
around the property. Mission accomplished.

Push the prime ball ONLY until it feels stiff. Often you won't have to
push it at all if you use it once a week. When you push the primer it
shoots gas into the carb venturi and you will flood the cylinder if
you push it several times. From your description I would push the
primer twice, set to choke and pull. When you hear it fire for a
couple strokes reduce the choke amount and pull again. At this point
it should run for a few seconds or more. If it stays running let it
run for 15 seconds then reduce the choke while running to half.
If that doesn't seem to work then reduce the choke a bit before you
attempt to start it. Most small engine choke butterflies have a small
hole in them as to not over choke.Make sure yours is clean as it's
real easy to everchoke a small engine that has no flywheel.

Your trimmer should not take 10 or more pulls to start. None of my
small engine tools like saws, blowers or trimmers take more than
three. Most only one. My Lawnboy 6 horsepower 2 stroke engine sat all
winter with gas in it. I pressed the primer 4 times fast, set the
choke and it started on the first pull. Mowers and blowers have an
advantage of having a pseudo flywheel in a blade or blower impeller.
Small trimmer motors around 30cc have to be in good shape since they
have no momentum without ignition.

Reduce the choke? As far as I can tell, there are two settings, Run and
Choke. This may not be true though. My impression has been the two
positions have a lock feel to them. So what you say above may solve this
problem. I may need to use it tomorrow, so I'll check it out. In fact,
regardless of the need I'll experiment as you indicate. It's use is
mostly confined to the spring when I have to deal with a lot of weeds.
We have 7 acres, and certain areas require the trimmer. Most of the
grass and weeds I'm concerned with are in a 1/3 acre area. The rest is
dealt with differently.

Posted to alt.home.repair
OTP OTP is offline

On May 1, 2:28*pm, "W. eWatson" wrote:
I've had Subject trimmer for ten years, and of late it has been hard to
start. I've probably yanked on the cord about 80 times this morning, and
a few times it sputters and dies. I've had it in choke and run
positions. Usually run gets it going. The outside temp is 62F. The
little transparent fuel clear bulb has lots of fuel in it, as required.
There is a bubble in it that may be 1/2" in diameter. I used it the
other day for 30 minutes.

How to proceed?

I have owned my FS36 for almost 15 years. Had it tuned up 4 years
ago. Recently it started to lose power, then last week it just
wouldn't start. I went to local Stihl sales/repair shop with it. They
quoted $90 to fix it, or $149 for a new FS49. I retreated to think it
over. Today, after reading the book carefully, I repaired it and it
runs like new. I cleaned the spark plug, and air cleaner but the item
that isn't mentioned in this thread is the Spark Arrester. I cleaned
that and I believe it was that which made the difference. It was caked
solid black. I removed it, put in in my vice, (clamping it along the
margin of the little screen) and started scrubbing it with a fine
guage wire brush. I kept kept flipping it around and scrubbing and
soon it was as good as new. Put it in, and the engine started up with
one pull! I trimmed all day and it performed like a champ. The
owners manual clearly states that if power starts to fail, to replace
the spark arrester. That is an easy to miss or dismiss
recommendation. Total out of pocket expense = $zero. PS. If you
want to take the rear plastic body cover off to tidy up or just
explore the engine's layout, you will need a 9/64 long-tailed Allen
Wrench.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 12:37:59 -0700 (PDT), OTP
wrote:

[...]

You make a very good point. Carbon deposits in a spark arrestor or a
carbon clogged muffler are not normally mentioned here, regarding it
being a possible problem.

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Stormin Mormon, Kenny wrote:
Thanks I got my FS 36 going. I've had mine for 22 years still going strong.
Nothing like a stihl!

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...er-439730-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

Lots of excellent advice to be found in the comments, I won't stress anything aside from agreeing that these small engines shouldn't take more than 3 pulls to start. After 5 or 10 pulls you'll save yourself frustration by just stopping there and taking the plug out to see if you've flooded it or if it's not getting fuel (or spark). If it started easily in the past, and now find the plug black, oily and wet looking, buy a new plug.
If the plug is dry and the primer bulb is functioning okay, the carb probably has become gummed-up. A little trick that sometimes works for me (I work on lots of little 2-strokes that use these carbs) is to remove the air cleaner and shoot a 1/2 teaspoon of fuel into the carb's intake using an eye dropper. It's enough to keep the engine running momentarily and MIGHT suck the gummy crap free. If so, and there was gas left in the tank, dump it and mix up an all new fresh batch. Before resigning myself to rebuilding a carb I'll first dump all the gas and put just enough "Seafoam" in the tank to get it through the primer system. I'll let that sit while hoping it'll work it's magic... I'll then go back and attempt to start it using the force-feeding, eye dropper technique ~but add 'some' mixed fuel into the tank FIRST or else you might be so happy it's running that you forget the importance of the fuel-oil mixture!

Posted to alt.home.repair

My fs36 runs on only 40psi of compression This is the 4th year after picking it up in the junk. This year it would not start. After looking into it a bit, I found that small bees has made a nest in the muffler. 2 cycles have to breath. So after cleaning it, and the exhaust ports, it fired up after a few pulls and Im cutting again.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Stormin Mormon, Chedds In the Garden wrote:
I have the Stihl FS-46 and had the same problems as described earlier in the
thread. Was ready to smash the trimmer with a sledge hammer after about 10
minutes of pulling and no starting...until I read Stormin Mormons post
above. Removed the spark plug, dried it off with a paper towel, pulled on
the start cord about 5 times, resinserted the plug and then within about 4-5
pulls it started right up.

Thanks Mr. Mormon!!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...er-439730-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/11/18 8:44 PM, Chedds In the Garden wrote:
replying to Stormin Mormon, Chedds In the Garden wrote:
I have the Stihl FS-46 and had the same problems as described earlier in
the
thread.Â*Â* Was ready to smash the trimmer with a sledge hammer after
about 10
minutes of pulling and no starting...until I read Stormin Mormons post
above.Â*Â* Removed the spark plug, dried it off with a paper towel, pulled on
the start cord about 5 times, resinserted the plug and then within about
4-5
pulls it started right up.
Thanks Mr. Mormon!!

You'll have to get on your knees to thank the man. He joined
the Lord
in heaven a couple years ago.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, June 11, 2018 at 8:44:06 PM UTC-5, Chedds In the Garden wrote:
replying to Stormin Mormon, Chedds In the Garden wrote:
I have the Stihl FS-46 and had the same problems as described earlier in the
thread. Was ready to smash the trimmer with a sledge hammer after about 10
minutes of pulling and no starting...until I read Stormin Mormons post
above. Removed the spark plug, dried it off with a paper towel, pulled on
the start cord about 5 times, resinserted the plug and then within about 4-5
pulls it started right up.

Thanks Mr. Mormon!!
--

Chris(Stormin Mormon) passed away a while back. He was a great guy and is missed by his Usenet friends. 8-(

[8~{} Uncle Sad Monster