DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Do you need a GFCI outlet? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/301988-re-do-you-need-gfci-outlet.html)

mike April 23rd 10 04:34 PM

Do you need a GFCI outlet?

On Apr 22, 6:16*am, Limp Arbor wrote:
I needed quite few GFCI outlets, simplex outlets, and 20A outlets for
my house. *If you've ever bought these you know they are not cheap, at
least not $0.59 like the regular stuff. *GFCI outlets are close to $20
anywhere here in NJ that I've been.

Why don't you use the cheaper 15A outlets? I seriously doubt you need
many 20A GFCI's.

keith April 23rd 10 05:19 PM

Do you need a GFCI outlet?

On Apr 23, 10:34*am, mike wrote:
On Apr 22, 6:16*am, Limp Arbor wrote:

I needed quite few GFCI outlets, simplex outlets, and 20A outlets for
my house. *If you've ever bought these you know they are not cheap, at
least not $0.59 like the regular stuff. *GFCI outlets are close to $20
anywhere here in NJ that I've been.

Why don't you use the cheaper 15A outlets? *I seriously doubt you need
many 20A GFCI's.

Just to make it clear, all GFCIs are rated at 20A, though some have
contacts that are rated at 15A. IOW, they're just like a 15A outlet.
They work fine in a 20A circuit (i.e. they will "pass thru" 20A).

BTW, the $.59 stuff should be avoided like the plague.