Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lithium battery disappointment

Bought the Hitachi 18v cordless drill 3 months ago. I used it back
then and all went well. Yesterday i had to just screw a 1 1/2 screw
into my laundry wooden dryier holder...for one of the legs got loose.
i got as far into with the drill till about a 3/8 of an inch of the
screw. I sort of pushed the drill to complete it, but it could not do
so, so i had to finish it with a screwdriver. I then tried to run the
drill and it would not start...The battery was pratically full when I
stopped using it 3 months ago. The manual says to recharge it again.
No timetable for how long. Anyhow I did, the red light came on and
waited about an hour or so when the red light started to flicker on
and off...so i presumed that the charge was complete, of course the
manual doesn't tell you time, color or whatever. OK, its working
again...is this typical of these batteries? Are they that sensitive
just to try and screw in one screw? I called Hitatchi support and said
it was normal.
Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

novel8 wrote:
[...]

Lithium batteries slowly discharge even if they are not being used. My
cordless Ryobi has the same issue. Keeping the battery trickle charged
will help.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Apr 19, 6:35*pm, novel8 wrote:
[...]

Li ion batteries will deliver considerable power until near total
discharge, and then quit flat. As far as charge retention, I have
Milwaukee and Makita Li ion and charge retention has been just fine on
both, although my non-use periods are usually only a few weeks at
most. Seems to me you should read your literature that came with the
charger so you can understand what particular blinking LEDS are
telling you.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

"novel8" wrote in message
[...]

Corded drills are so nice....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 19, 6:35*pm, novel8 wrote:
[...]

Probably a defective pack or charger, take it back its under
warranty , no its not normal. But I only but HDs Ridgid brand now,
they offer lifetime warranty on even the batteries, they are the only
company to offer this and service- replacement is at my local HD, no
bs mail in or service center crap, I dont even need my reciept since I
register each tools numbers and model online with Ridgid, then in the
mail I get a an additional Key card. LiIon should do 3-5 years, Nicad
up to 8-15 years. But if you run packs dead dry you can kill them by
individual cell polarity reversal.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeff The Drunk wrote in :

On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 16:35:23 -0700 (PDT), novel8
wrote:

[...]

I bought a 14.4v Hit last year. comes with a spare battery. 3 months
is a lot of time but I would expect a LiOn battery to lose some of its
charge but not to the extent what you describe. A well charged battery
should keep enough of a charge to do more than your description.
You may be incorrect on the status of the battery when you last used
it.

For my cell phone Li-ion battery,the manual says that the battery must be
charged/discharged(cycled) several times before it delivers "full
capacity".

One thing for all rechargable packs;store them with a FULL charge.

Li-ion cells are supposed to have a lower self-discharge rate than NiCd or
NiMH cells.
some are advertised as "holding 80% of charge for up to 6 months".

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 19, 7:35*pm, novel8 wrote:
[...]

There is a circuit in the battery pack that disconnects the battery
when the voltage gets too low. This is so you don't ruin the battery
by over-discharging it. Lithium batteries do not handle any abuse at
all.

Lithium batteries do discharge over time, but not nearly as much as
NiCds. On the other hand, NiCd batteries can be abused until the cows
come home.

the ENGLISH ones... It says how the battery charger is supposed to
work.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Jeff The Drunk wrote in part:

SNIP to here

Li-ion batteries have a max number of charge cycles regardless of how
deeply discharged they are.. They also have a finite shelf life. Don't
know the figures but you can extend the storage life of li-ion
batteries by refrigerating them. Nominally expect full capacity for 5
years from what I have read although YMMV. My battery pack in my Asus
laptop from 2004 still lasts about 1.5 hours. My Toshiba laptop from
2002 is acting up. Sometimes I run it after the charge indicator says
complete and it will last 5 minutes. Sometimes it will go an hour. I
think it is a charging issue with the laptop since the battery pack
remains cold to the touch while charging. But what is puzzling is the
battery will charge for a couple hours until the completion is
indicated by an LED regardless if the battery actually charges or not.

I have familiarity with charging ICs for Li-ion batteries, to extent of
having laid out and assembled working circuit boards. The IC that I used
times out after 3 hours, even if charge is incomplete or the IC fails to
make the circuit deliver full charging current (or any) due to temperature
or battery condition or connector issues. However, if after the 3 hour
time-out the IC that I used determines that the battery stands to be
recharged, it restarts attempted charging for another 3 hours.

Some other circuits may have a time limit without automatic restart
after the time limit. I am familiar with a Ni-MH charging IC that stops
at 4 hours even if the battery is not fully charged, and only restarts if
the charger is turned off and back on.

- Don Klipstein )