Old April 13th 10, 06:40 PM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Default Tips for transporting a washer and dryer on their side

Going to transport a top load washer and front load dryer on their
sides in my station wagon. I believe new ones have a transport bolt
that holds things in place during handling, if I transport these on
their side, I assume the bolt is going to be long gone.

Any tips for transporting them like that?

Old April 13th 10, 07:03 PM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

"muzician21" wrote in message
Going to transport a top load washer and front load dryer on their
sides in my station wagon. I believe new ones have a transport bolt
that holds things in place during handling, if I transport these on
their side, I assume the bolt is going to be long gone.

Any tips for transporting them like that?

I'd check with the owners manual. I know on my Duet if you don't tighten the
drum down first you can really f%$k it up. The transporting info is in the
manual.

Old April 13th 10, 07:18 PM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

muzician21 wrote:
Going to transport a top load washer and front load dryer on their
sides in my station wagon. I believe new ones have a transport bolt
that holds things in place during handling, if I transport these on
their side, I assume the bolt is going to be long gone.

Any tips for transporting them like that?

Avoid large potholes!
Old April 13th 10, 07:26 PM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
dpb dpb is offline

muzician21 wrote:
Going to transport a top load washer and front load dryer on their
sides in my station wagon. I believe new ones have a transport bolt
that holds things in place during handling, if I transport these on
their side, I assume the bolt is going to be long gone.

Any tips for transporting them like that?

If there's not an instruction for it, yeah, I have a tip--don't. Even
if have to rent a trailer or make other arrangements.

Old April 13th 10, 07:33 PM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

On 2010-04-13, dpb wrote:

If there's not an instruction for it, yeah, I have a tip--don't.

Why?

If a washer or dryer are so poorly designed/constructed they can't be
transported on their side, they're junk.

nb

Old April 13th 10, 07:39 PM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

On Apr 13, 6:40�pm, muzician21 wrote:
Going to transport a top load washer and front load dryer on their
sides in my station wagon. I believe new ones have a transport bolt
that holds things in place during handling, if I transport these on
their side, I assume the bolt is going to be long gone.

Any tips for transporting them like that?

Most washers need transport bolts/bars to move them. However if
you're carefull you can get away with it. If it's a long journey, and
you have no bolts you can
(a) have a look at the back of the cabinet, there's usually two
threaded holes near the floor. If you look under the machine by
tipping it, you can usually see a couple of trunnions on the tub base
where the bolts engage. You can deduce from this what you need. Often
the bolts go from the back of the cabinet all the way to the front.
or
(b)take the top off the machine and wedge the drum with cushions or
similar. You need to be careful not to damage the wiring.
Just remember to take them out at the other end.
Old April 13th 10, 07:42 PM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

On Apr 13, 6:40�pm, muzician21 wrote:
Going to transport a top load washer and front load dryer on their
sides in my station wagon. I believe new ones have a transport bolt
that holds things in place during handling, if I transport these on
their side, I assume the bolt is going to be long gone.

Any tips for transporting them like that?

Ah just noticed. Do NOT transport them on their side. They are sure
to be damaged even with the shipping bolts.

Old April 13th 10, 08:04 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-04-13, dpb wrote:

If there's not an instruction for it, yeah, I have a tip--don't.

Why?

If a washer or dryer are so poorly designed/constructed they can't be
transported on their side, they're junk.

nb

How about being towed upside down underwater? Should they be designed
to withstand that too?

If you can't shoot them out of a cannon what good are they?

Old April 13th 10, 09:30 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-04-13, dpb wrote:

If there's not an instruction for it, yeah, I have a tip--don't.

Why?

If a washer or dryer are so poorly designed/constructed they can't be
transported on their side, they're junk.

nb

How about being towed upside down underwater? Should they be designed
to withstand that too?

If you can't shoot them out of a cannon what good are they?

Particularly if they can't reach orbit safely!

Old April 13th 10, 09:34 PM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

On 2010-04-13, dpb wrote:

If there's not an instruction for it, yeah, I have a tip--don't. *

Why? *

If a washer or dryer are so poorly designed/constructed they can't be
transported on their side, they're junk.

nb

I have a refridgerator with shelves and drawers that stay perfectly in
place as long as the unit is upright. Every time I lay it on its side,
they all fall off.

I guess it's junk.