DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   repairing lead bend leak (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/301339-repairing-lead-bend-leak.html)

Mikepier April 12th 10 05:29 PM

repairing lead bend leak

I believe I have a leak in the lead bend of my toilet. Fortunately,
its not leaking where it goes into the cast iron waste pipe stack, but
I think it has a small hole or cracked somwhere past the toilet
flange. I have to remove more of the ceiling in the basement to see.
Are there any ways to seal a lead bend leak? Epoxy or J-weld?

harry April 12th 10 07:10 PM

repairing lead bend leak

On Apr 12, 5:29�pm, Mikepier wrote:
I believe I have a leak in the lead bend of my toilet. Fortunately,
its not leaking where it goes into the cast iron waste pipe stack, but
I think it has a small hole or cracked somwhere past the toilet
flange. �I have to remove more of the ceiling in the basement to see.
Are there any ways to seal a lead bend leak? Epoxy or J-weld?

If it's a pinhole, you could put a self tapping screw in. (A short one
that doesn't project into the pipe & snag you paper!) Doesn't work on
a crack.

Joe April 12th 10 07:22 PM

repairing lead bend leak

On Apr 12, 11:29*am, Mikepier wrote:
I believe I have a leak in the lead bend of my toilet. Fortunately,
its not leaking where it goes into the cast iron waste pipe stack, but
I think it has a small hole or cracked somwhere past the toilet
flange. *I have to remove more of the ceiling in the basement to see.
Are there any ways to seal a lead bend leak? Epoxy or J-weld?

Lead is easy to solder. If it wasn't, there would be no stained glass
windows. Best to use a 60/40 alloy to take advantage of the lower
solder melting point. Clean area well and use a brush on flux. Buy
some sheet lead at a plumbing supply house, or whatever is handy, and
practice on that until you feel comfortable with your skills.

Joe

RicodJour April 13th 10 07:53 PM

repairing lead bend leak

On Apr 12, 2:10*pm, harry wrote:
On Apr 12, 5:29 pm, Mikepier wrote:

I believe I have a leak in the lead bend of my toilet. Fortunately,
its not leaking where it goes into the cast iron waste pipe stack, but
I think it has a small hole or cracked somwhere past the toilet
flange. I have to remove more of the ceiling in the basement to see.
Are there any ways to seal a lead bend leak? Epoxy or J-weld?

If it's a pinhole, you could put a self tapping screw in. (A short one
that doesn't project into the pipe & snag you paper!) Doesn't work on
a crack.

Screws don't come in lead, and dissimilar metals in the presence of
water is guaranteed to corrode.