DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   want to remove pedestal sink from bathroom, first time (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/300036-want-remove-pedestal-sink-bathroom-first-time.html)

KOS March 20th 10 10:21 PM

want to remove pedestal sink from bathroom, first time

Hi. I have a pedestal sink that I want to remove.. I have not done
this before just want to ask a couple of questions.
First, once I shut the cold and hot water below the pedestal, should
that be best way to shut water or do I have to shut the whole house
off?

The pipe that goes from the wall to the pedestal- shaped like a U, I
remove that from the wall?

Thanks!
KOS

aemeijers March 20th 10 10:58 PM

KOS wrote:
Hi. I have a pedestal sink that I want to remove.. I have not done
this before just want to ask a couple of questions.
First, once I shut the cold and hot water below the pedestal, should
that be best way to shut water or do I have to shut the whole house
off?

The pipe that goes from the wall to the pedestal- shaped like a U, I
remove that from the wall?

Thanks!
KOS

There are no dumb questions, and everybody has to start somewhere. But
given the questions you asked, I think you need more help than can be
given in a couple of paragraphs. Before you do anything, I strongly
recommend you Google some web sites on 'basic household plumbing', and
probably buy one of the DIY books on the same subject. A picture is
worth a thousand words, etc.

But having said all that- what is the overall project you are doing?
Just changing the sink, or redoing the whole bathroom? If you are just
changing out the sink, and the existing shutoffs and drain fitting in
wall are in good condition, it is not much harder than changing a light
bulb. If the shutoffs are all crusty with blue-green scale, they are
likely to self-destruct as you mess with them, so you definitely want to
find the house shutoff and have a clear path to it, before you start.
(If other people are in the house, they usually get cranky if you shut
everything off.) Any time you take a drain trap (the U-shaped thing)
apart, it is cheap insurance to install a new one, especially if the old
one is metal. Metal ones can be on the verge of leaking for years, and
only fail when torque is applied to them. Plastic ones are usually more
forgiving, but the seals can be iffy, and the nuts can crack. They are
dirt cheap to replace, so little reason not to. Do you have tools? Does
your new sink (if your are installing one) have a drain tailpiece
included? If not, you will need one of those as well, and plumber's
putty to seal the drain ring. Are you installing a new faucet? Are the
(usually flexible these days) supply lines long enough to reach the
existing shutoffs? And so on and so on, which is why I suggest the book.

But please don't let me discourage you- this is a pretty easy DIY project.

--
aem sends...

RosemontCrest March 20th 10 10:59 PM

On Mar 20, 2:21*pm, KOS wrote:
First, once I shut the cold and hot water below the pedestal, should
that be best way to shut water or do I have to shut the whole house
off?

The purpose of the shut-off valves at the fixture is so that the water
can be shut off at the fixture without turning off the water supply to
the entire house.

The pipe that goes from the wall to the pedestal- shaped like a U, I
remove that from the wall?

Yes. Stuff a rag in the hole in the wall to prevent sewer gases from
entering the room until you are ready reinstall or install a new
fixture.

KOS March 20th 10 11:07 PM

On Mar 20, 5:59*pm, RosemontCrest wrote:
On Mar 20, 2:21*pm, KOS wrote:

First, once I shut the cold and hot water below the pedestal, should
that be best way to shut water or do I have to shut the whole house
off?

The purpose of the shut-off valves at the fixture is so that the water
can be shut off at the fixture without turning off the water supply to
the entire house.

The pipe that goes from the wall to the pedestal- shaped like a U, I
remove that from the wall?

Yes. Stuff a rag in the hole in the wall to prevent sewer gases from
entering the room until you are ready reinstall or install a new
fixture.

Perfect, thats all I wanted to know. I am going to keep the pedestal
but need access to paint the wall. I will change out the fixtures to
another finish so they will go too,. ie shut off valves etc... Sounds
pretty easy.. My real concern was just the shutting off of the h20.
But since you say using the shut off valves is adequate, I will go
with that..

RosemontCrest March 20th 10 11:25 PM

On Mar 20, 2:21*pm, KOS wrote:

[...]

If you plan to replace the shut-off valves, you will first need to
turn off the water supply to the entire house.

willshak March 20th 10 11:45 PM

On Mar 20, 2:21 pm, KOS wrote:

[...]

Depending upon the age of the valves, you may find that they still leak
after shutting them off. This is because the gaskets have hardened and
do not seal completely.
Keep a bucket handy.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Oren[_2_] March 21st 10 12:04 AM

want to remove pedestal sink from bathroom, first time

On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 18:45:11 -0400, willshak
wrote:

Depending upon the age of the valves, you may find that they still leak
after shutting them off. This is because the gaskets have hardened and
do not seal completely.
Keep a bucket handy.

If the valves need replacing, pick a 1/4 turn ball-valve as the
replacement type.

mm March 21st 10 12:45 AM

want to remove pedestal sink from bathroom, first time

On Mar 20, 2:21*pm, KOS wrote:

[...]

After you shut those valves off, open the faucets and see how much if
any water is coming out. Even if a little is, a bucket may be enough,
but this way you'll have an idea in advance.

There are many cases where you can verify that a required step or a
precaution has been effective before going to the next step.

YOu would also get an idea when you started to disconnect the pipe,
although that would be harder to evaluate, because even a drip's worth
can come out a lot faster when it's a very thin spurt through a tiny
opening.

JIMMIE March 21st 10 01:16 AM

On Mar 20, 5:21*pm, KOS wrote:
Hi. I have a pedestal sink that I want to remove.. I have not done
this before just want to ask a couple of questions.
First, once I shut the cold and hot water below the pedestal, should
that be best way to shut water or do I have to shut the whole house
off?

The pipe that goes from the wall to the pedestal- shaped like a U, I
remove that from the wall?

Thanks!
KOS

I would shut it off to the whole house and underneath the sink. There
has been more than a few times those little valves didnt work so well
after sitting there 20 or 30 years without being used.

Jimmie

Ed Pawlowski[_2_] March 21st 10 04:39 AM

want to remove pedestal sink from bathroom, first time

"RosemontCrest" wrote

Yes. Stuff a rag in the hole in the wall to prevent sewer gases from
entering the room until you are ready reinstall or install a new
fixture.

Usually easier to disconnect it at the trap.

mm March 21st 10 09:32 PM

want to remove pedestal sink from bathroom, first time

On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 17:16:17 -0700 (PDT), JIMMIE
wrote:

On Mar 20, 5:21*pm, KOS wrote:
Hi. I have a pedestal sink that I want to remove.. I have not done
this before just want to ask a couple of questions.
First, once I shut the cold and hot water below the pedestal, should
that be best way to shut water or do I have to shut the whole house
off?

The pipe that goes from the wall to the pedestal- shaped like a U, I
remove that from the wall?

Thanks!
KOS

I would shut it off to the whole house and underneath the sink. There
has been more than a few times those little valves didnt work so well
after sitting there 20 or 30 years without being used.

Notwithstanding my earlier advice, you remind me. When I was 14 or
so I went on a campaign to fix something regarding our dishwasher. I
turned off the valve and disconnected the smallish supply pipe.
About 6 months later and 6 feet away, the vinyl or asphalt or whatever
was common in 1955 floor tiles started coming loose from the floor.
Neither my mother nor I had any idea why.

It took another 6 months or more to realize the pipe was dripping.

Of course the end of the pipe wasn't visible unless you put your head
on the floor, unlike the OP's project, and he doens't plan to let it
sit for a year iether. (though neither did I plan that.)

Also, when I didn't have a furnace for a few days, I tried filling the
bath tub and letting the hot water humidify and warm the second floor.
AFter the furnace worked again, and since my humidifier was broken, I
kept doing that sometimes. It worked great, but all of a sudden, I
notice that the cold water faucet in the bathtub doesn't turn off all
the way. And the tub was rising drop by drop and would have overflow.

The overflow drain doesn't seem to do anything. So Ilearned if I
tighten it more than I used to have to, it does stop dripping, but
still a warning.

Jimmie