Old March 19th 10, 03:50 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Where to get Bentonite clay (Home Depot? Target?)

Steve Barker wrote:
LM wrote:
I'd like to get a handful of bentonite clay but am unsure where to get
it.

Any suggestions?
I tried Home Depot and Target but they didn't have it in my area.

here's the ones i take:

http://shop.vitadocs.com/index.php?p...product_id=124

Contains "purified bovine bile" ......EEEEEWWWWWWW

Old March 19th 10, 04:01 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"LM" wrote in message
I'd like to get a handful of bentonite clay but am unsure where to get it.

They mine it out of the ground off Hwy 212 (Ho Chi Minh Trail) in South
Dakota.

Old March 19th 10, 05:35 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 13:25:30 -0700, chaniarts wrote:

clumping kitty litter is frequently (but not always) bentonite.

what are you using it for?

For my skin for poison ivy block.

The bentnite apparently adsorbs the invasive oils.
Old March 19th 10, 07:27 AM posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 19:01:04 -0700, Zz Yzx
wrote:

Benton?

smiles Geological formations are commonly named accoriding to nearby
geographic names. "Bentonite" is in fact named after Benton SD. There
is no clay mineral "bentonite"; the rock term refers to the
montmorrilinite clay (predominate) with traces of quartz, &tc.

DAMHIKT.

-Zz

I had a friend in NYC who wanted to put a slate floor in the very
small bathroom of his co-op. 42 inches x 55 inches with a 2 foot diam.
post taking up quite a bit of space in the middle. That's about 14
square feet.

Once in a while when I went to visit my parents in Allentown, Pa., I
would drive around and come across Slatington, Pa., where there were
lots of pieces of slate lying along the side of the roads. I didn't
stop to see how thick they were or if they were anywhere near a
constant thickness, or if they could be split if they were too thick.

They fell off of trucks, although maybe if I had looked harder, I
could have found some public land where some was at the surface, or a
pile of scrap. But even the scraps, while not as big as the pieces
most remodelers use, were as big as 4x4" I think. So I suggested we
go to Pa. and just gather the stuff up. This was 1976 and he had
something like a Cherokee, plus I would have driven my own car home
too, full size Pontiac Catalina. This is the kind of project he
usually liked**, even though he was a lawyer at an insurance company
and expected to earn the the money to buy "new" slate. I think he
said something about weighing too much (would it?) and I let it drop
because I don't need to go looking for work for myself.

Well, I was only going to write about the slate, but I got carried
away:
**He did his own wiring for his co-op, which had been a SoHo printing
shop, after reading a book and asking me a couple of questions. It
passed inspection, I assume, but he didn't allow for the sheet-rock
and one or more toggle switches were covered by a wall plate and all
that was in a rectangular hole smaller than the wall plate and as deep
as the sheetrock, maybe even a little deeper. The hole was completed
with spackle, clearly put on with fingers.

Plus he mounted a 6 foot mirror in the bathroom, probably for some
sexual reason, partly on the surface of that post, which wasn't flat
and he broke off an 18-inch corner at the bottom.

Then he built his own summer house 2 hours north of NYC, on totally
undeveloped land, with no water, electric, gas, or sewer. He paid
someone to blast, and he hired one or two guys for a week or two or
three, but he did most of the work himself. I think he did pay off
an inspector in that case, because he was supposed to have a sewage
permit and the rocks were 8 inches below the surface of the ground
most places.

He bought two sets of 7 or 8 foot windows to go around the south and
west side of the houses, two stories high, and bought them with
on-site delivery. He had paid someone to cut down the trees leading
to the site and remove the stumps, but it was barely a road, and the
trucker who delivered the windows objected at first or something. By
driving at 5 mph, I could get half way up in my Catalina. You can go a
lot of places with a regular car that people say you need 4-wheel
drive for, but not every where, because the ditches got too big at
that point so I walked the last half mile.

He had a chemical toilet in the house but tried to get everyone,
including girls, to go outside for all their business, so he didn't
have to renew the little inside toilet.

All of this stuff was good or at least okay, but there had also been
clues that he was, and he later proved himself to be, an incredible
jerk in more than one way. For one thing I had to stop bringing any
girl I was dating over, because he would make crude remarks to her and
then act like it was okay. He asked one about her bowel movements.
Another was the girlfriend of my girlfriend who tagged along with us
to his Xmas party. She was a beautiful girl, an actress who played
pretty girl roles, like Liat in South Pacific. The first time he
danced with her he felt her up. She left in the middle of the dance,
and I don't blame her. He had no concern for what she or my
girlfriend might have thought about me because of that. (I don't
think either held it against me.) Maybe he could have gotten
somewhere with her if he weren't a jerk.

Maybe early signs of this was another reason I didn't push to gather
the slate for his floor.
Old March 19th 10, 07:35 AM posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 21:01:28 -0700, "Rudy"
wrote:

"LM" wrote in message
I'd like to get a handful of bentonite clay but am unsure where to get it.

They mine it out of the ground off Hwy 212 (Ho Chi Minh Trail) in South
Dakota.

Why do they call it the Ho Chi Minh Trail?

Old March 19th 10, 07:46 AM posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Mar 19, 3:27*am, mm wrote:*

All of this stuff was good or at least okay, but there had also been
clues that he was, and he later proved himself to be, an incredible
jerk in more than one way. *For one thing I had to stop bringing any
girl I was dating over, because he would make crude remarks to her and
then act like it was okay. * He asked one about her bowel movements.
Another was the girlfriend of my girlfriend who tagged along with us
to his Xmas party. *She was a beautiful girl, an actress who played
pretty girl roles, like Liat in South Pacific. * The first time he
danced with her he felt her up. *She left in the middle of the dance,
and I don't blame her. *He had no concern for what she or my
girlfriend might have thought about me because of that. *(I don't
think either held it against me.) *Maybe he could have gotten
somewhere with her if he weren't a jerk.

WTF does any of the above have to do with home repair?

Old March 19th 10, 08:23 AM posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 00:46:36 -0700 (PDT), Ron
wrote:

On Mar 19, 3:27*am, mm wrote:*

[...]

Snipped but restored: "Well, I was only going to write about the
slate, but I got carried away:"

I could put a sig that says "When you get bored stop reading" but the
sig would be at the bottom anyhow, so it woudln't do you any good.

Old March 19th 10, 09:37 AM posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

On Mar 19, 3:27*am, mm wrote:*

[...]

Actually I figured anything about girls and sex would interest a lot
of the people here.
Old March 19th 10, 11:50 AM posted to alt.home.repair

In article , LM wrote:
On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 13:25:30 -0700, chaniarts wrote:

clumping kitty litter is frequently (but not always) bentonite.

what are you using it for?

For my skin for poison ivy block.

The bentnite apparently adsorbs the invasive oils.

I don't know if it's still available or not, but I remember from my teenage
years an acne treatment called "Mudd" that did pretty much the same thing.
Old March 19th 10, 12:14 PM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Mar 19, 3:27 am, mm wrote:

[...]

I, for one, was thoroughly mesmerized by your tale, especially the part
about the South Pacific.

Thanks for that.

Jon

Home Depot - Home Services Experiences Frank[_3_] Home Repair 11 August 9th 07 06:01 AM
Is Home Depot shafting shoppers? "Home Depot is a consistent abuser of its customers' time." Stephen Blackpool Home Repair 65 March 17th 07 12:53 PM
FREE Home Depot Home Improvement How-To-Guide [email protected] Home Repair 3 June 2nd 06 11:06 PM
home depot Don Haynes Woodworking 50 May 17th 05 01:57 AM
Home Depot at home services, any good reports? [email protected] Home Repair 8 January 20th 05 07:27 PM