DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   How many wires in a thermostat (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/298718-how-many-wires-thermostat.html)

Aaron Fude February 24th 10 05:39 PM

How many wires in a thermostat

Hi,

I need to run a wire from the attic (where the A/C and heating units
will be) to the location of the thermostat on the first floor. I don't
know specifically what I'll have in the attic and what thermostat I'll
have.

How many wires should I have in the wire to make sure I'm not short on
that number in the future. Is six wires good enough for any heater+A/C
combination?

Thanks!

RBM[_3_] February 24th 10 05:44 PM

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
Hi,

I need to run a wire from the attic (where the A/C and heating units
will be) to the location of the thermostat on the first floor. I don't
know specifically what I'll have in the attic and what thermostat I'll
have.

How many wires should I have in the wire to make sure I'm not short on
that number in the future. Is six wires good enough for any heater+A/C
combination?

Thanks!

It depends upon the equipment. If it's not a heat pump, and just a garden
variety furnace / ac unit, 4 wires is enough. Two thermostat wires will also
need to be run from the air handler to the condensing unit as well

Pete C. February 24th 10 06:17 PM

RBM wrote:

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
Hi,

I need to run a wire from the attic (where the A/C and heating units
will be) to the location of the thermostat on the first floor. I don't
know specifically what I'll have in the attic and what thermostat I'll
have.

How many wires should I have in the wire to make sure I'm not short on
that number in the future. Is six wires good enough for any heater+A/C
combination?

Thanks!

It depends upon the equipment. If it's not a heat pump, and just a garden
variety furnace / ac unit, 4 wires is enough. Two thermostat wires will also
need to be run from the air handler to the condensing unit as well

If you pull 5 wire cable to the thermostat location separately from the
attic air handler location and the outside condenser location you should
be good for most any system. That's what I ran for my new heat pump and
I used 4 of the 5 to the air handler and 5 of the 5 to the condenser.

hr(bob) [email protected] February 24th 10 06:24 PM

On Feb 24, 12:17*pm, "Pete C." wrote:
RBM wrote:

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
[...]

I used 4 of the 5 to the air handler and 5 of the 5 to the condenser.- Hide quoted text -

6 should be enough for all known likely heat/AC units

JIMMIE February 24th 10 07:26 PM

How many wires in a thermostat

On Feb 24, 1:24*pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
On Feb 24, 12:17*pm, "Pete C." wrote:

RBM wrote:

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
[...]

mine is 8, heat pump, ng backup, humidifier, outside temp

Jimmie

Red Green February 24th 10 09:11 PM

How many wires in a thermostat

JIMMIE wrote in
:

On Feb 24, 1:24*pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
On Feb 24, 12:17*pm, "Pete C." wrote:

RBM wrote:

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
.
com

[...]

We have 8. eight is the bid. Do I hear 9 -- 9 -- 9 anybody. Eight going
once...

Lp1331 1p1331 February 25th 10 12:16 AM

How many wires in a thermostat

We usually ran 9 when we rerun stat wires. The cost is not that much
more. I think most our trucks only keep 9. One drawback-- some of the
colors are fairly similar and you have to look real close to make sure
you have the right one. BTDT. Larry

Stormin Mormon February 25th 10 12:53 AM

How many wires in a thermostat

I've heard of some heat pumps use 8 conductors.
You should ask the question on usenet group
alt.hvac, where the pros hang out. Should generate
several replies.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Stormin Mormon February 25th 10 12:54 AM

How many wires in a thermostat

Eight and a half.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Red Green" wrote in
message
JIMMIE wrote in

Red Green February 25th 10 02:58 AM

How many wires in a thermostat

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:hm4hsj
:

Eight and a half.

Nine! We have 9. You're snoozing at the wheel there SM. The bid is 9. Do I
hear 10? 10? - 10? - 10? Come-on you lame-asses. I'm on commission here.

Stormin Mormon February 25th 10 01:56 PM

How many wires in a thermostat

Due to the Obama recession, I'm out of funds.
Sorry, chief.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Red Green" wrote in
message
"Stormin Mormon"
wrote in
:

Stormin Mormon February 25th 10 01:57 PM

How many wires in a thermostat

You sound like a phone guy to have around.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Oren" wrote in message

12!? Dual runs of twisted pairs. Git 'em while ya
got 'em.

Sincerely,

Lame Ass

Stormin Mormon February 25th 10 09:50 PM

How many wires in a thermostat

You're welcome.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"JIMMIE"
wrote in message

I have found that if
you can give a post there enough time someone who
really knows what
they are talking about will usually reply.

Jimmie

Stormin Mormon February 25th 10 09:51 PM

How many wires in a thermostat

No place on Earth like the alternating havoc
group.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"The Daring Dufas"
wrote in message

Oh darn, now I'll have to add that group to this
computer. 8~)

TDD

Steve Barker[_5_] February 26th 10 10:38 AM

Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

I need to run a wire from the attic (where the A/C and heating units
will be) to the location of the thermostat on the first floor. I don't
know specifically what I'll have in the attic and what thermostat I'll
have.

How many wires should I have in the wire to make sure I'm not short on
that number in the future. Is six wires good enough for any heater+A/C
combination?

Thanks!

Mine ended up with 9. But the newer stuff can be wireless if you wish.
Also, there's options for running the newer stuff with 4.

Red Green February 27th 10 05:13 PM

How many wires in a thermostat

Steve Barker wrote in
:

Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

I need to run a wire from the attic (where the A/C and heating units
will be) to the location of the thermostat on the first floor. I don't
know specifically what I'll have in the attic and what thermostat I'll
have.

How many wires should I have in the wire to make sure I'm not short on
that number in the future. Is six wires good enough for any heater+A/C
combination?

Thanks!

Mine ended up with 9. But the newer stuff can be wireless if you wish.
Also, there's options for running the newer stuff with 4.

Ahh, just drop a length of OC-768 and be done with it. Should be good for
a while :-)