Posted to alt.home.repair

Default nitrogen gas in cans

I wonder why some company doesn't begin to sell compressed
nitrogen gas in spray cans, complete with a tube as found on many
lubricant cans. For foods, a blast of Nitrogen into a zip lock
baggie would help keep food from oxidizing, while a blast into a
paint can before resealing might lengthen the storage life of the
paint.

Am I wrong in my assumptions that it would do this?

--
Nonny

Luxury cars now offer a great seating option for politicians.
These seats blow heated air onto their backside in the winter and
cooled air in the summer. If sold to voters, though, the car
seats
are modified to just blow smoke up the voter's rump year-round

Posted to alt.home.repair

Nonny wrote:
I wonder why some company doesn't begin to sell compressed nitrogen gas
in spray cans, complete with a tube as found on many lubricant cans.
For foods, a blast of Nitrogen into a zip lock baggie would help keep
food from oxidizing, while a blast into a paint can before resealing
might lengthen the storage life of the paint.

Am I wrong in my assumptions that it would do this?

Just adding nitrogen won't make much difference. You'd have to find some
way to suck out the normal-ratio air out at the same time, or there
would still be plenty of oxygen in there. Hence all the vacuum-baggie
food sealing machines. I find that manually deflating the zip-lock
baggie as I seal it (by careful folding and pushing) helps prolong the
time the food stays tolerable. Makes a big difference with cheese and
such. (Alright, I confess- I live alone, so I suck the last bit of air
out with my mouth, and dog down the zipper with my teeth.)

No good suggestions about the paint, other than the 'store it upside
down' idea. I seldom bother, but don't paint that often, and store the
latex paint in a heated basement, so I have never really had any
problems anyway.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Feb 23, 10:03*pm, "Nonny" wrote:
I wonder why some company doesn't begin to sell compressed
nitrogen gas in spray cans, complete with a tube as found on many
lubricant cans. *For foods, a blast of Nitrogen into a zip lock
baggie would help keep food from oxidizing, while a blast into a
paint can before resealing might lengthen the storage life of the
paint.

Am I wrong in my assumptions that it would do this?

snip

Technically you are correct. Practically, the spray cans are pressure
limited (70PSI or some such?) so the gas volume is gone in one blast.
Liquid propellants are used to produce longer lasting operating
pressure for spray products, various Freons, propane among others.
Using crude arithmetic, a 2.5" x 6" spay can at 9 cubic inches will
hold about 45 cubic inches of gas at STP given 70 PSI initially. So
maybe a half dozen Ziplocks might be serviced. Not too good a return
on your expenditure.
Figure out a way to keep nitrogen pellets around at -200 degrees C and
you could have a neat product.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote in message
Nonny wrote:
[...]

I do this as well. It works swell, though I use my Foodsaver as
well.

No good suggestions about the paint, other than the 'store it
upside down' idea. I seldom bother, but don't paint that often,
and store the latex paint in a heated basement, so I have never
really had any problems anyway.

Right now, I always invert a paint can briefly, then right it so
that the paint itself forms a little seal around the inside of the
lid.

--
aem sends...

I would envision a snorkel-like tube from the can that would be
shoved to the bottom of the Zip-Lock bag. The bag would be zipped
to almost closed around the snorkel, and then the nitrogen (or
other inert gas) introduced. Nope- it wouldn't be 100% ever, but
it would drive out most of the air with the little whoosh.

The can would be like a dust-off can, but with nitrogen instead of
air.

BTW, this is exactly how they place the less conductive gas
between the panes of a double pane window. For paint or other
self-sealed containers, a swoosh of nitrogen just before slapping
the lid closed would go a long way to keeping the paint from going
bad or scumming over, I bet.

--
Nonny

Luxury cars now offer a great seating option for politicians.
These seats blow heated air onto their backside in the winter and
cooled air in the summer. If sold to voters, though, the car
seats
are modified to just blow smoke up the voter's rump year-round

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joe" wrote in message
On Feb 23, 10:03 pm, "Nonny" wrote:
[...]

Interesting. How about nitrogen in a MIG-sized bottle under high
pressure, a pressure regulator, electric valve and 1/4" PEX tube
run from the garage to the kitchen and shop?

--
Nonny

Luxury cars now offer a great seating option for politicians.
These seats blow heated air onto their backside in the winter and
cooled air in the summer. If sold to voters, though, the car
seats
are modified to just blow smoke up the voter's rump year-round

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 23, 8:41*pm, aemeijers wrote:
Nonny wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the honesty.....I was wondering why I couldn't squeeze the
air out by hand and had to resort to sucking the air out.

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 23, 10:03*pm, "Nonny" wrote:
I wonder why some company doesn't begin to sell compressed
nitrogen gas in spray cans, complete with a tube as found on many
lubricant cans. *For foods, a blast of Nitrogen into a zip lock
baggie would help keep food from oxidizing, while a blast into a
paint can before resealing might lengthen the storage life of the
paint.

Am I wrong in my assumptions that it would do this?

--
Nonny

Luxury cars now offer a great seating option for politicians.
These seats blow heated air onto their backside in the winter and
cooled air in the summer. *If sold to voters, though, the car
seats
are modified to just blow smoke up the voter's rump year-round

Air is about 78% nitrogen, the issue is removing the oxygen so you
need to pull a vacume first. They charge alot extra to inflate tires
wirh nitrogen, but how do they remove the oxygen, I dont think they do
at all.
Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote in news:Y4Cdnfq8vOyLMxnWnZ2dnUVZ_r-
:

Nonny wrote:
I wonder why some company doesn't begin to sell compressed nitrogen gas
in spray cans, complete with a tube as found on many lubricant cans.
For foods, a blast of Nitrogen into a zip lock baggie would help keep
food from oxidizing, while a blast into a paint can before resealing
might lengthen the storage life of the paint.

there IS(was?) a company that sells compressed nitrogen in spray cans.
it was made for filling opened paint cans so a skin would not form on the
surface.I couldn't find it with Google,though.
ISTR it was also sold in camera stores,to preserve photo chemicals.

you also can get paintball bottles filled with nitrogen.
then there's the adapter/regulator to use the bottles with air tools.

Am I wrong in my assumptions that it would do this?

Just adding nitrogen won't make much difference. You'd have to find some
way to suck out the normal-ratio air out at the same time, or there
would still be plenty of oxygen in there. Hence all the vacuum-baggie
food sealing machines. I find that manually deflating the zip-lock
baggie as I seal it (by careful folding and pushing) helps prolong the
time the food stays tolerable. Makes a big difference with cheese and
such. (Alright, I confess- I live alone, so I suck the last bit of air
out with my mouth, and dog down the zipper with my teeth.)

I insert a soda straw,nearly close the zipper,then suck the air out,then
pullout the straw with my teeth and close the zipper fully.

No good suggestions about the paint, other than the 'store it upside
down' idea. I seldom bother, but don't paint that often, and store the
latex paint in a heated basement, so I have never really had any
problems anyway.

--
aem sends...

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/24/2010 7:38 AM, ransley wrote:
On Feb 23, 10:03 pm, wrote:
[...]

I guess it depends where you buy tires. The local evil mom & pop place
doesn't charge a lot more or even more for that matter. They have a unit
similar to this in the garage:

http://www.ntxtools.com/network-tool...TI-NTF-60.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 07:20:32 -0600, Jim Yanik wrote:
there IS(was?) a company that sells compressed nitrogen in spray cans.

http://www.bloxygen.com

Argon, not nitrogen.

--
Art Greenberg
artg at eclipse dot net

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 23, 10:03 pm, *wrote:
[...]

http://www.ntxtools.com/network-tool...I-NTF-60.html- Hide quoted text -

By design a tire cant be fully deflated of air, air is 78% nitrogen,
so what is the true percentage of nitrogen in tires filed with
nitrogen, it will still contain alot of oxygen. But I guess if it
works its worth it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , aemeijers wrote:

Just adding nitrogen won't make much difference. You'd have to find some
way to suck out the normal-ratio air out at the same time, or there
would still be plenty of oxygen in there. Hence all the vacuum-baggie
food sealing machines. I find that manually deflating the zip-lock
baggie as I seal it (by careful folding and pushing) helps prolong the
time the food stays tolerable. Makes a big difference with cheese and
such. (Alright, I confess- I live alone, so I suck the last bit of air
out with my mouth, and dog down the zipper with my teeth.)

Works even better if you use a soda straw.
Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.ntxtools.com/network-tool...F-60.html-Hide quoted text -

By design a tire cant be fully deflated of air, air is 78% nitrogen,
so what is the true percentage of nitrogen in tires filed with
nitrogen, it will still contain alot of oxygen. But I guess if it
works its worth it.- Hide quoted text -

And I'd say it's just another scam to get more money out of unwitting
consumers. Nitrogen would seem to have no compelling advantage.
Supposedly it means tires are less susceptable to pressure change with
ambient temp change, nitrogen will leak out slower, etc. If you have
enough sense to check your tire pressure regularly, none of that
matters. And if you don't, then I'd say nitrogen is a poor
substitute.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 23, 10:03 pm, wrote:
[...]

Works for me. One of our vehicles has always had issues with slow tire
leaks. The wheels are clean with no rust and aren't bent. I had four new
tires tires installed at the local evil mom & pop tire place last year
and they used nitrogen this time (at no additional charge) and now the
slow leaks are gone.
Posted to alt.home.repair

George wrote:

On Feb 23, 10:03 pm, wrote:
[...]

New tires and more careful mounting eliminated the leaks, not nitrogen.

Nitrogen isn't really a scam per-se, more of a distortion. Folks found
that racing teams were using nitrogen for it's advantages when used in
low volume race tires running *hot* at a couple hundred miles per hour
and figured if the racers used it they should too. The reality is it is
of no benefit for normal vehicles with normal tires operated at normal
highway speeds.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
In article ,
aemeijers wrote:

Just adding nitrogen won't make much difference. You'd have to
find some
way to suck out the normal-ratio air out at the same time, or
there
would still be plenty of oxygen in there. Hence all the
vacuum-baggie
food sealing machines. I find that manually deflating the
zip-lock
baggie as I seal it (by careful folding and pushing) helps
prolong the
time the food stays tolerable. Makes a big difference with
cheese and
such. (Alright, I confess- I live alone, so I suck the last bit
of air
out with my mouth, and dog down the zipper with my teeth.)

Works even better if you use a soda straw.

DO NOT use a soda straw with paint!!!!!!!!!!!! That's how I fell
in love with Sherwin Williams latex enamel. Grin

Doug, I'm replying to several posts via this reply to yours. When
I use a zip-lock bag, I do like most have suggested and zip it
almost closed. I then squeeze the bag to deflate it or use the
lip/mouth technique to get as much air out as possible.

While nitrogen is about 78% of air, what's important in a paint
can, baggie or Tupperware container is the ABSOLUTE amount of
oxygen. That's why deflating the zip lock bag helps to preserve
foods, since while the 22% (yeah, I know that oxygen is slightly
less because of other gasses, but this is Usenet and you're
permitted to round off) oxygen to 78% nitrogen ratio stays the
same, there are physically fewer oxygen molecules inside the
baggie, paint can etc. to cause oxidation.

If I were to install something in the kitchen and shop to spritz
nitrogen gas into a container before sealing it, I'd still
probably deflate the baggie before inserting the tube to reduce
the number of oxygen molecules inside the bag. Then, after
inflating the bag with nitrogen, I'd then deflate it again before
sealing it. That would get out a bunch more.

For paint in a can or (now) plastic container, I'd just close the
lid as far as possible over the tube, spritz it a bit to purge as
much air as I reasonably could, the slap the lid closed as I
withdrew the tube. The number of oxygen molecules inside the can
is what causes the paint to scum over, as seen with the difference
between an almost full can lasting a long while vs. an
almost-empty can scumming over in a month or less. IMHO, a
nitrogen purge of an almost-empty can would dramatically add to
its life on the shelf.

My current though revolves around using PEX-type tubing and
nitrogen from a cylinder regulated to about 10psi. To dispense
it, I'd use a gun like this, or something similar.
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...70_36641_36641
The cylinder would be in a closet or my garage, with the tubing
run inside the cabinets to the refrigerator, where about 4' of
tubing would just hang behind the refrigerator, with the gun in a
"holster" on the side.
--
Nonny

Luxury cars now offer a great seating option for politicians.
These seats blow heated air onto their backside in the winter and
cooled air in the summer. If sold to voters, though, the car
seats
are modified to just blow smoke up the voter’s rump year-round

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.ntxtools.com/network-tool...tml-Hidequoted text -

By design a tire cant be fully deflated of air, air is 78% nitrogen,
so what is the true percentage of nitrogen in tires filed with
nitrogen, it will still contain alot of oxygen. But I guess if it
works its worth it.- Hide quoted text -

And I'd say it's just another scam to get more money out of unwitting
consumers. * Nitrogen would seem to have no compelling advantage.
Supposedly it means tires are less susceptable to pressure change with
ambient temp change, nitrogen will leak out slower, etc. * If you have
enough sense to check your tire pressure regularly, none of that
matters. * And if you don't, then I'd say nitrogen is a poor
substitute.- Hide quoted text -

Here its about 60$ to fill all 4, I passed on the offer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 24, 10:06*am, George wrote:
On 2/24/2010 10:01 AM, wrote:

On Feb 23, 10:03 pm, * *wrote:
[...]

slow leaks are gone.- Hide quoted text -

The new tires fixed it not the nitrogen. Ive read tire test reviews
just on leak amounts, Michelin scored best for holding air. I think
even CR published a test on tires that hold pressure.
Posted to alt.home.repair

it, I'd use a gun like this, or something similar.http://www.northerntool..com/webapp/...roduct_6970_36...
The cylinder would be in a closet or my garage, with the tubing
run inside the cabinets to the refrigerator, where about 4' of
tubing would just hang behind the refrigerator, with the gun in a
"holster" on the side.
--
Nonny

Luxury cars now offer a great seating option for politicians.
These seats blow heated air onto their backside in the winter and
cooled air in the summer. *If sold to voters, though, the car
seats
are modified to just blow smoke up the voter�s rump year-round- Hide quoted text -

Better is get a small paint can-jar for leftovers, crapped up lids and
cans can make a seal impossible, cans rust, I use jars with good
sealing tops. Did you ever pick up an old can of paint and have the
paint fall out because the can rusted, I have.
Posted to alt.home.repair

George wrote:

On Feb 23, 10:03 pm, wrote:
[...]

Aluminum rims, or steel? Every car I have ever had with aluminum rims
had problems with slow leaks during cold weather, until I had tire guy
paint the rims with some magic goop as he put the tires on. I suspect
that is what solved your problem as well- their installer just did it
correctly without prompting. Never had the same problem with steel rims.
I'd never pay extra for aluminum rims, but since I buy used cars only, I
don't get a choice.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nonny" wrote in message

[...]

Well, I've taken the next step and should be playing with Nitrogen
or Argon gas shortly. I went online to eBay and bought a 40 cf
3000 psi cylinder, and separately, a pressure regulator with
barbed fitting for tubing. I am going to HF and getting an air
blow gun like I already have and use in the shop for compressed
air. It has a 1/4" NPT inlet, so I went online and found a metal
adapter to go from 1/4" NPT to 3/8" ID barbed. I'll get the poly
tubing when I get the cylinder, fill it and start hooking things
up. It should be fun.

I've not decided whether to fill first with Argon or Nitrogen.
Argon has some characteristics I like better than Nitrogen for
paint cans, but the Nitrogen would surely be cheaper and would
work fine for foods and almost as well for paint.

I'll post more as things develop.

--
Nonny

Luxury cars now offer a great seating option for politicians.
These seats blow heated air onto their backside in the winter and
cooled air in the summer. If sold to voters, though, the car
seats
are modified to just blow smoke up the voter’s rump year-round

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...roduct_6970_36...
[...]

Since the problem with paint is not oxidation or moisture. I dont
think it would help much. With food yes it would and does. Potato chip
bags are filled with nitrogen to blow up the bags to keep the chips
from getting crushed and to keep them fresh.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/24/2010 7:09 PM, aemeijers wrote:
George wrote:

On Feb 23, 10:03 pm, wrote:
[...]

They are steel. I choose steel to try to prevent issues such as the slow
leaks. The correct way is to mount a tire without magic goop. I saw
them mount the tires and no "magic goop" was used.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 24, 6:44*pm, "Nonny" wrote:
"Nonny" wrote in message

[...]

Ive been painting 30+ years and have 30 yr old paint thats fine,
Transfering the paint to a smaller container so its full to the top
works, you leave a half full can of paint and the lid had been used
and isnt perfect, you are just hoping its sealed, have you ever seen a
can rust through, I have, use plastic unless its stored in very low
humidity my basement is never low enough.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 24, 8:46*pm, JIMMIE wrote:
On Feb 24, 7:44*pm, "Nonny" wrote:

"Nonny" wrote in message

[...]

Ooops, I was talking about water based paints of course.

Jimmie

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ransley" wrote in message
On Feb 24, 6:44 pm, "Nonny" wrote:
"Nonny" wrote in message

[...]

I sure wish I had this rig when using Homer Formby's. You can
squeeze the bottle until the liquid reaches the top, then slap on
the lid, but when it's really low, that doesn't work. All I could
do was open another bottle, pour some into the very low bottle,
then squeeze both.

--
Nonny

Luxury cars now offer a great seating option for politicians.
These seats blow heated air onto their backside in the winter and
cooled air in the summer. If sold to voters, though, the car
seats
are modified to just blow smoke up the voter’s rump year-round

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 24, 11:06*am, George wrote:
On 2/24/2010 10:01 AM, wrote:

On Feb 23, 10:03 pm, * *wrote:
[...]

Dont guess it could be because of the new tires, valve stems and
cleaning the rims?

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/25/2010 12:07 PM, JIMMIE wrote:
On Feb 24, 11:06 am, wrote:
On 2/24/2010 10:01 AM, wrote:

On Feb 23, 10:03 pm, wrote:
[...]

Possible, it isn't a scientific test. The wheels are clean and the valve
stems were also replaced the last time I had new tires installed and
there were still slow leaks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 24, 11:06 am, wrote:
On 2/24/2010 10:01 AM, wrote:

On Feb 23, 10:03 pm, wrote:
[...]

I still say it is what they painted the rims with as they mounted the
tires. Maybe not the 'magic goop' I referenced, but just a better brand
of the regular clear goop, or some lube concoction they mix up on their
own. I have never seen a tire mounted completely dry- that is a LOT of
friction to overcome. And there are clean rims, and CLEAN rims. A
half-hearted swipe with a brush, or maybe blowing compressed air around
it, versus a close inspection with eyes and fingertips to find any rough
areas that need another pass with the wirebrush to get the grunge off.
In the old days, Mercedes used to call out for repainting the rims, in
their tech manual.

--
aem sends...

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-07-30, Clydesdale1981 wrote:

glass until it over flows.....

Please explain exactly how one goes about overflowing a tire.

nb

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-07-30, Clydesdale1981 wrote:

glass until it over flows.....

Please explain exactly how one goes about overflowing a tire.

nb

I think he is using the overflow analogy incorrectly but his point is
the same. If the tire is at one atmosphere with air, you fill it to
proper pressure and the original 20% oxygen is now diluted to about 1/30
of its total content.

I guess you can fill the tire, let it deflate and fill it again to purge
even more.

Personally, I use a secret blend of gasses in my tires. It has argon
and carbon dioxide too. For $10 each I'll fill yours.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to notbob , Clydesdale1981 wrote:
notbob wrote:

Please explain exactly how one goes about overflowing a tire.
nb

Well, I wasn't talking about tires. I thought this thread was about
preserving food with inert gases, but since you asked. One could easily
use the same process that home brewers use to clear the O2 out of the head
space of a keg before carbonating their beer. In short, pressurize and
depressurize in quick succession. if you double the pressure with pure NO2
(which isn't much, standard atmosphere is about 14.7psi, so only about 30
psi) then drop back to no pressure differential then fill once more you'd
already be above 90% pure NO2.

standard atmosphe
78% NO2
21%O2
1% Argon, CO2 many others

so your tire starts at 78 parts Nitrogen. double the pressure, it's
reasonable to assume you've added 100 parts nitrogen. depressurize,
cutting each components presence by half. 178 parts out of 200, becomes 89
out of 100. once you pressurize it again back to tire pressure 32-45PSI
you are well above 90%. you can never get to 100% this way. but if you do
the math it takes 5 successions to get above 99%. Are most tire shops
venting tires to attain high purity of gases in tires? Probably not. I
never have promoted it's use in tires any way. But, one thing that hasn't
been mentioned: Nitrogen for tires is guaranteed dry air. if you live in a
humid climate and the compressor has run all day and hasn't been drained,
you better believe that the air they are pumping into your tires is
saturated with water. using NO2 is one way to be sure they're not
introducing water into your tire and rim assembly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-07-30, Clydesdale1981 wrote:

glass until it over flows.....

Please explain exactly how one goes about overflowing a tire.

nb

I think he is using the overflow analogy incorrectly but his point is
the same. If the tire is at one atmosphere with air, you fill it to
proper pressure and the original 20% oxygen is now diluted to about 1/30
of its total content.

I guess you can fill the tire, let it deflate and fill it again to purge
even more.

Personally, I use a secret blend of gasses in my tires. It has argon
and carbon dioxide too. For $10 each I'll fill yours.

Doesn't the argon make your tires heavier? I've always thought using nitrogen gas laced with mercaptan odorant would be a good thing to inflate tires with. That way, you would know immediately if you had a leak in a tire. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Gas Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/30/2015 12:26 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:

Personally, I use a secret blend of gasses in my tires. It has argon
and carbon dioxide too. For $10 each I'll fill yours.

Doesn't the argon make your tires heavier? I've always thought using nitrogen gas laced with mercaptan odorant would be a good thing to inflate tires with. That way, you would know immediately if you had a leak in a tire. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Gas Monster

Yes, the argon adds weight but it tends to stay at the bottom of the
tire and gives the car better stability in turns, better traction in
snow. I don't tell many people about it because if it catches on, the
price of argon will skyrocket and cause shortages.

I tried mercaptan, but my wife keeps asking "did you fart?"
Posted to alt.home.repair

If you have new tires before you start filling with gases other then air I
suggest to check with manufacture
some gases can cause shrinking of rubber and may cause additional leaks. I
used refrigerant in tire but
only in emergency until I was able get to clean air.