Old February 23rd 10, 06:07 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to adjust honeywell round thermostat (mercury switch) to the right temperature

On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 18:35:11 -0700, Tony Hwang wrote:

Did you have this problem all the time or it is acting up lately?

It's our first winter in this house and it's all the time so far.

Old February 23rd 10, 01:33 PM posted to alt.home.repair

First, make sure the thermostat is level. If it's
tilted, it won't work right.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Glenda Copeland"

wrote in message
How do I adjust a thermostat so that the heat
reaches the set temperature?

My Honeywell round thermostat has a bulb with
mercury in it and a coil of
metal that seems to control when it makes
electrical contact.

When I set the Honeywell bulb thermostat to 68F,
the heat only gets to
about 58F. Likewise, when I set the thermostat to
85F, the heat shuts off
when it reaches about 75F.

This works fine except my husband keeps yelling at
me for setting the
thermostat to 85.

I know the simple answer is to change him but why
do thermostats have
numbers on them if they're not even close to those
numbers?

Is there a way to adjust the temperature? When I
pull the round cover off,
I see a copper pointer on the bottom with etch
marks on the plate below but
that pointer is already all the way to the left
and moving it to the right
just seems to make the offset error worse.

What's the procedure to adjust a Honewell round
thermostat to reach the set
point before turning off?

Old February 23rd 10, 01:51 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 22, 7:23*pm, "Bob F" wrote:
Glenda Copeland wrote:
[...]

I don't have that particular unit, but on mine, it looks like the is a nut
behind the metal thermo spring that could be turned a bit to calibrate it.. What
you need is to turn it in the direction that makes the mercury switch less
level - just a little. If such an adjustment is not evident, bending the metal
where the switch attaches to the thermospring could do it.

The copper pointer at the bottom probably adjusts the difference between turn on
and turn off.- Hide quoted text -

Agree with you and Ransley. First thing is to make sure it's
level. Then if necessary you need a thin wrench that you can hold
the nut with so the mechanism doesn't move while you rotate the dial.

All in all, considering the conveniences of a programmable digital
one, I'd just replace it. Wouldn't it be nice to set the heat back
at night and have it come back up shortly before you wake up?
Old February 23rd 10, 03:42 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Glenda Copeland wrote:
On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 18:35:11 -0700, Tony Hwang wrote:

Did you have this problem all the time or it is acting up lately?

It's our first winter in this house and it's all the time so far.

Worst case (Or maybe simplest), you could just tilt the unit ( Twist it on the
wall) to adjust it.

Old February 23rd 10, 04:14 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 08:33:56 -0500, Stormin Mormon wrote:

First, make sure the thermostat is level.

The word "Honeywell" in the center is perfectly level.

Old February 23rd 10, 05:38 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 23, 7:51*am, wrote:
On Feb 22, 7:23*pm, "Bob F" wrote:

Glenda Copeland wrote:
[...]

at night and have it come back up shortly before you wake up?- Hide quoted text -

I have nothing against technology, I have all sorts of stuff, the
round honywell is is even in the museum of modern art. Its a classic,
I can adjust it, calibrate it, set anything with ease, now my digital
if I dont have my manual I cant adjust temp swing or calibrate the
thermometer and I dont know where my manual is anymore. My round
Honywell has setback, I set it back, it has advance, I advance it. It
will outlast new stuff.
Old February 23rd 10, 07:02 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 22, 11:07*pm, Glenda Copeland gscopel...@Use-Author-Supplied-
Address.invalid wrote:
[...]

The problem you have is called hysteresis. When the temperature rises
the 'stat switches off & the temp. falls but the stat does not close
at the same temperature as when it was rising. The hysteresis should
only be a couple of degrees but now it's obviously a lot more. This is
due to ancient technology and probably wear and tear and lack of
lubrication. The mercury bulb is indestructable but the rest of the
'stat wears. Get a new themostat. It will pay for itself in a year.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hysteresis
Old February 23rd 10, 07:11 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Address.invalid wrote:
[...]

I don't know if such things are available in America but in Europe you
can get an "intelligent thermostat." There is an additional outside
sensor and the heating is switched on earlier in cold weather and
later in warmer weather. The exact amounts depend on the insulation
of your house (nonexistant I expect in America). The thermostat
determines this for itself after the first run. Dependant on your
lifestyle, between 10 and 20% can be knocked off your heating bill.
Some of these devices also compensate for wind .
A digital thermostat can save 10%. It's important that the thermostat
is correctly sited. In Europe every room is independently controlled
in new buildings.

Old February 23rd 10, 09:24 PM posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 23:07:14 +0000 (UTC), Glenda Copeland
wrote:

How do I adjust a thermostat so that the heat reaches the set temperature?

My Honeywell round thermostat has a bulb with mercury in it and a coil of
metal that seems to control when it makes electrical contact.

When I set the Honeywell bulb thermostat to 68F, the heat only gets to
about 58F. Likewise, when I set the thermostat to 85F, the heat shuts off
when it reaches about 75F.

This works fine except my husband keeps yelling at me for setting the
thermostat to 85.

I'd yell at you too. Who needs 75? Set at 78 and be happy with 68.
Wear a sweater.

I know the simple answer is to change him but why do thermostats have
numbers on them if they're not even close to those numbers?

Is there a way to adjust the temperature? When I pull the round cover off,

Don't pull that cover off. There are electical forces there that will
make your cold cream run.

I see a copper pointer on the bottom with etch marks on the plate below but
that pointer is already all the way to the left and moving it to the right
just seems to make the offset error worse.

In that case you could risk bending the spring or some other part that
is holding the mercury capsule, but two major concerns. 1) Being a
Mercury Capsule, it might head for earth orbit. 2) A good chance
you'll bend it in the wrong direction (it's confusing) or bend it in
the right direction but so much that the offset pointer won't be able
to correct it. And you only get to bend it once or twice and soon it
will break off. Plus you probably need TWO needlenosses to bend it.

What's the procedure to adjust a Honewell round thermostat to reach the set
point before turning off?

You can try to tip the house while holding the thermostat in place.