Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair

Default Kitchen Corner Cabinet solution

Most of you may well be aware of the dreaded corner cabinet in kitchens
which require us to reach far in the back for those needed pots and pans or
other items. I searched products made for this type of cabinet but they all
come with a hefty price tag. Therefore, the obvious comes to mind about the
capability to make my own.

The general idea is to build a shelf system for the back area with the
ability to roll forward and IMO, simple to build. But the dilemma is to make
something which will allow the front shelf system to pull out and pivot out
of the way for the rear items. Has anyone ever built a system for this type
of cabinet? If so, would you share your layout and required hardware, as
well as any other info?

Thank you

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair

On Feb 18, 9:00*pm, "SBH" wrote:
Most of you may well be aware of the dreaded corner cabinet in kitchens
which require us to reach far in the back for those needed pots and pans or
other items. I searched products made for this type of cabinet but they all
come with a hefty price tag. Therefore, the obvious comes to mind about the
capability to make my own.

The general idea is to build a shelf system for the back area with the
ability to roll forward and IMO, simple to build. But the dilemma is to make
something which will allow the front shelf system to pull out and pivot out
of the way for the rear items. Has anyone ever built a system for this type
of cabinet? If so, would you share your layout and required hardware, as
well as any other info?

Thank you

They're called "blind corner cabinets". Do a search, they are not that
expensive. They make them with "half" moon lazy suzan shelves so they
can swing out
Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair

On 2/18/2010 8:00 PM, SBH wrote:
Most of you may well be aware of the dreaded corner cabinet in kitchens
which require us to reach far in the back for those needed pots and pans or
other items. I searched products made for this type of cabinet but they all
come with a hefty price tag. Therefore, the obvious comes to mind about the
capability to make my own.

The general idea is to build a shelf system for the back area with the
ability to roll forward and IMO, simple to build. But the dilemma is to make
something which will allow the front shelf system to pull out and pivot out
of the way for the rear items. Has anyone ever built a system for this type
of cabinet? If so, would you share your layout and required hardware, as
well as any other info?

You don't have to make a blind corner cabinet. As long as you're
building your own and don't want to deal with the lazy susan situation,
you can do something like some of the options available here, with more
space to boot:

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehou...=m&btnG=Search

Watch the wrap ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair

On Feb 18, 9:28*pm, Swingman wrote:
On 2/18/2010 8:00 PM, SBH wrote:

[...]

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehou...cabinet&styp=m....

Watch the wrap ...

--www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
KarlC@ (the obvious)

I could be wrong , but I took the OP to mean that (s)he already has
the cabinet and is looking for plans for "retro-fit" shelving system,
like this sweet unit, but a tad less expensive:

http://www.kitchensource.com/pantry/ful-ksh6117.htm
Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair

On 2/18/2010 8:00 PM, SBH wrote:

[...]

Looks exactly like what I thought he was describing. I'd imagine a home
made one wouldn't be easy.

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair

On 02/18/2010 09:01 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I could be wrong , but I took the OP to mean that (s)he already has
the cabinet and is looking for plans for "retro-fit" shelving system,
like this sweet unit, but a tad less expensive:

http://www.kitchensource.com/pantry/ful-ksh6117.htm

Looks like this one is substantially cheaper:

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...648,43653&ap=2

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair

http://www.kitchensource.com/pantry/ful-ksh6117.htm

Looks exactly like what I thought he was describing. I'd imagine a home
made one wouldn't be easy.

Easier than ordering or installing? Probably not.

Easier than paying 500 bucks? Certainly.

Oh wait! Free shipping. Never mind. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair
LdB LdB is offline

Default XPOST Kitchen Corner Cabinet solution

On 2/18/2010 8:00 PM, SBH wrote:
Most of you may well be aware of the dreaded corner cabinet in kitchens
which require us to reach far in the back for those needed pots and pans or
other items. I searched products made for this type of cabinet but they all
come with a hefty price tag. Therefore, the obvious comes to mind about the
capability to make my own.

The general idea is to build a shelf system for the back area with the
ability to roll forward and IMO, simple to build. But the dilemma is to make
something which will allow the front shelf system to pull out and pivot out
of the way for the rear items. Has anyone ever built a system for this type
of cabinet? If so, would you share your layout and required hardware, as
well as any other info?

Thank you

I spent some time trying to design a blind corner unit like this

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...648,43653&ap=2

No matter what I came up with it always had too much wasted space to
make it worthwhile, plus the fact that it will eventually break. I
bought a Lazy Susan kit from Lee Valley. The term KISS makes a lot of
sense sometimes.

LdB

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair

On 2/19/2010 12:18 PM, Chris Friesen wrote:
On 02/18/2010 09:01 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I could be wrong , but I took the OP to mean that (s)he already has
the cabinet and is looking for plans for "retro-fit" shelving system,
like this sweet unit, but a tad less expensive:

http://www.kitchensource.com/pantry/ful-ksh6117.htm

Looks like this one is substantially cheaper:

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...648,43653&ap=2

Chris

I am facing a similar situation and saw this solution as well (and liked
it too). Still it seemed to me - though I never followed through on it -
that it would not be difficult to design something like this using full
extension slides. In the end, I have decided to put up a wall, a sliding
door and make the whole corner into a pantry, if that makes any sense at
all...

Harvey
Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair

"eclipsme" wrote in message
On 2/19/2010 12:18 PM, Chris Friesen wrote:
On 02/18/2010 09:01 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I could be wrong , but I took the OP to mean that (s)he already has
the cabinet and is looking for plans for "retro-fit" shelving system,
like this sweet unit, but a tad less expensive:

http://www.kitchensource.com/pantry/ful-ksh6117.htm

Looks like this one is substantially cheaper:

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...648,43653&ap=2

Chris

I am facing a similar situation and saw this solution as well (and liked
it too). Still it seemed to me - though I never followed through on it -
that it would not be difficult to design something like this using full
extension slides. In the end, I have decided to put up a wall, a sliding
door and make the whole corner into a pantry, if that makes any sense at
all...

Maybe to others, but I'm not quite seeing the picture. Care to elaborate?

Thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair

On 2/18/2010 8:00 PM, SBH wrote:

[...]

Correct, DD. "He" already has the cabinet filled with a mountain of pots,
pans, lids, etc with very little degree of organization.

Purchasing anything over $100 is not in my plans when I believe I can make
something a better fit for about the same or less.

One idea is to have a sliding shelf system on a slightly raised platform for
the rear. The front (in front of door opening) would have a sliding system
to come straight out, but the trick is to get it to pivot to allow clearance
for the rear sliding system. The raised platform for the rear would allow
the track to hover over the front track system or, an idea of mounting front
tracks on the side of the cabinet (one higher and one lower) then pivoting
when extended.

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair

"Mikepier" wrote in message
On Feb 18, 9:00 pm, "SBH" wrote:
[...]

Already saw them. Not what I'm looking for.

Thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair

FYI...I found this site with a solution to the blind corner cabinet (4
pictures) which is exactly how I envisioned my idea with exception to making
the front drawer slide, then pivot. The cabinet configuration is EXACTLY how
my cabinet is built.

http://www.pulloutcabinets.com/

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair

On 2/19/2010 9:05 PM, SBH wrote:
FYI...I found this site with a solution to the blind corner cabinet (4
pictures) which is exactly how I envisioned my idea with exception to making
the front drawer slide, then pivot. The cabinet configuration is EXACTLY how
my cabinet is built.

http://www.pulloutcabinets.com/

http://www.pulloutcabinets.com/2008/...rner-solution/

Very nice, and elegant, solution ...

Thanks for the update. You can teach an old dog new tricks.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair

On 2/19/2010 6:14 PM, SBH wrote:
wrote in message

I am facing a similar situation and saw this solution as well (and liked
it too). Still it seemed to me - though I never followed through on it -
that it would not be difficult to design something like this using full
extension slides. In the end, I have decided to put up a wall, a sliding
door and make the whole corner into a pantry, if that makes any sense at
all...

Maybe to others, but I'm not quite seeing the picture. Care to elaborate?

Thanks

Bad description on my part. Think of the typical blind cabinet
installation - cabs along a wall (C), ending in a blind cab at the
corner (B), and then more cabs (C) along the adjacent wall.

BCCCCCC

Now, take out the blind cab and the first cab or 2 on the adjacent wall.
Both lowers and uppers.

XXXCCCC

Wall this area in making a pantry about 2' deep (the depth of the
adjacent cab) by about 4' or more (the depth of the blind cab - 2' -
plus the width of the adjacent cabs)

If you are still with me, a sliding door goes where the adjacent cab
used to be. Now you have a full pantry from floor to ceiling.

C_
|__|CCC

I probably just confused the situation more...

I like this solution, too, but how would you get the first shelf to
pivot out of the way?
http://www.pulloutcabinets.com/2008/...rner-solution/

Harvey
Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair

Have you considered a full door-width cabinet in the corner, set
at a 45 degree angle? You'd use very little additional floor
space, and what you used would not be that usable anyway, in the
corner of butting cabinets. Yes, it'd be deeper than a regular
cabinet, but then that's where you'd keep the old Waring blender,
bottles you saved for some reason and other things you "store"
"somewhere." The cabinet top itself would be perfect for an
appliance garage, since there would be added depth for more
storage of "stuff." The same would be true for the upper cabinets
as well: perhaps a glass door for them to accent the storage?

Where it gets to be fun is if you build them yourself or have them
custom made. By flaring the sides of the corner cabinet out half
way to meet a similar flare of the abutting side cabinet, the
unreachable corners are less difficult to reach or manage. In
fact, I'd consider those full extension shelf glides mentioned
elsewhere for the base cabinet. You could store "stuff" on the
sides, while the middle, elevated, shelfs would roll out for even
better access- particularly to the back, or "V" area.

--
Nonny

and articulate person who has absolutely no clue
concerning what they are talking about.
The person is typically a media commentator or politician.

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair

On Feb 20, 7:45*am, eclipsme wrote:
On 2/19/2010 6:14 PM, SBH wrote:

*wrote in message

[...]

pivot out of the way?http://www.pulloutcabinets.com/2008/...rner-solution/

Harvey

re "how would you get the first shelf to pivot out of the way"

I don't believe you do. I think that the set-up just allows you to
slide the back shelf over to the opening so that you can reach items
easier.

The problem I see is that the additional access is limited to the
width of the door.

I just checked my blind corner to see how well that solution would
work, and I'm not sure it would be worth the trouble.

My stick-built cabinet is 41" wide, with 27" of "blind area" and a 14"
opening.

For me to use that solution, the usable width of the slide out shelf
would have to be less than 12" wide to allow for the side wall slide
and the frame of the shelf itself.

The lose of that shelf space is minor compared to the fact that all I
would gain is about that same 12" of access to back shelf. I'd still
have 15" of blind area to deal width.

Sure, 15" is better than 27", but is it worth the time and money? I'm
not sure.

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
(snip)

but is it worth the time and money? I'm
not sure.

I have loosely been following this thread, and tend to agree- it is much
ado about nothing. A properly done blind cabinet is great for those once
or twice a year items, and pulling the little stuff in front out of the
way to get to them is really no big deal. I find lazy susan corner
cabinets annoying, especially if they don't have the curved wall around
them. Stuff falls off and jams. Not a fan of dead spaces in kitchen
cabinets- that is where small creatures like to set up housekeeping. If
I was a woodworker by hobby rather than only when needed, I might be
tempted to come up with a creative solution, like making a hidey-hole
back in the dead corner for the safe or something. (false wall in the
back of the cabinet, held on by magnets or velcro.) What burglar is
going to empty kitchen cabinet looking for a stash spot?

Only kitchen I ever had that really irritated me, was a cheap apartment
where the kitchen was in the normal 'dining nook' area, because where
the kitchen normally went, was the boiler room for the building. (hey, I
was broke, and it was the cheapest they had vacant.) They didn't bother
to get a corner cabinet for this one-off application, they just
installed 2 normal base cabinets, and left the corner empty under the
counter. I left it full of empty jars when I left, stuffed through the
hole in the kick plate. Let somebody figure THAT out when they replace
those crappy chipboard cabinets in there.

--
aem sends...
Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair

I have been dealing with a kitchen design that bega for three corner
cabinets or a better solution.

I generally favor the diagonal front base cabinets as I fabricate my
own counters and can turn a corner with a single 4x8 05 5x10 sheet of
goods - avoiding the corner seam.

But they have some new post-formed counters at HD and Lowes of late
that got me thinking of replacing the "corner" base and wall cabinets
with a tall pantry another poster mentioned in this thread. But, where
that one suggested a slinding door, I figured the diagonal front would
do nicely enough - though both of the "solutions" traded in 4 SF of
counter real estate.for the accessible storage.

The diagonal front provides an opening about 18" wide. I suspect that
the interior shelving could be designed with a "pull out" center
section on fully extensible sliders.

Illuminating the interior might be neatly accomplished with a fixture
in the inside front above the door opening operatd by a switch
activated by the opening of the door.

I'm still debating the idea as, one on each end of a 10' wide kitchen
space is "a bit much" and may make the space feel altogether too small
and confined.

But, being able to use simple seamless sections of ready-made post-
formed mica counters does have its attractions.

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair

On Feb 20, 7:45 am, *wrote:
On 2/19/2010 6:14 PM, SBH wrote:

* *wrote in message

[...]

Ouch for that section, yes, but I love the old fashion stick-builts
with no walls between the cabinets.

I've got a few 3 & 4 doored sections that are over 5' wide - each
section is one big cabinet inside.
Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair

On Feb 20, 7:45 am, wrote:
On 2/19/2010 6:14 PM, SBH wrote:

wrote in message

[...]

Yes, I would have to agree with you there. In my current project, I had
the option to make a 7' cab, but have decided to do all drawers in the
lowers this time. Therefore I have use of the dividers for hanging the
slides on. It will still be a 7' cab, but with 2 dividers.

The uppers are another matter. I got concerned of the possible
weight/strength issues, so decided to duplicate the dividers up above.
Still, it would be nice to have 1 7' space with 3 sets of doors rather
than 3 divided spaces. But how do you hang a half overhang door in a
frameless cabinet without dividers??? choices, choices, choices...

Harvey

Kitchen Corner Cabinet solution SBH[_4_] Woodworking 25 February 21st 10 02:30 PM
Corner Cabinet Rear Leg Bob[_25_] Woodworking 6 October 11th 08 02:40 PM
Giganto-TV cabinet - File 1 of 1 - yEnc "Corner TV cabinet.JPG" 69236 bytes (1/1) Steve Woodworking Plans and Photos 0 April 1st 07 04:37 AM
CORNER CABINET J T Woodworking 2 January 6th 06 05:41 PM
Corner Cabinet Construction Mike Pio Woodworking 6 September 29th 05 01:57 AM