Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Trap Door from living room into basement

Hi, I have been searching all over the internet to find a design for a
trap door. My basement/crawlspace is only 5'10" high. I was not
allowed by the township to have a full basement ( I live in a very
highly regulated area) I do want to use the area as storage, also my
hydro and water heater etc is located in this space. I need to have a
trap door made for access to this area. I do not want to use one of
the metal versions. The opening is approx. 3 feet wide, by 4 feet
long. It is located in the living room. I would put in the trap door
and likely cover with an area rug. I need to make it recessed ie. the
hinges, handle etc. The ideal situation would be to have it carpeted
on top like the rest of the living room...however, I think that may be
a bit complicated, so will live with a nice wood version...ie. pine or
something like that - nicely finished.

My question is...does anyone know of a site that will show how to
build such a thing or pictures of trap doors that I can get some ideas
from?

Thanks
Janet
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 15, 10:21*am, caledongrl wrote:
[...]

Forget the hinges. Keep it simple. Just fasten a rim of wood in the
opening for the door to set in/on. Since it'll be covered by a rug,
you could even run screws through the corners of the "door" into the
rim to keep it tight. Don't forget weatherstripping of some kind.

The hardest part would be a handle that doesn't pose a trip hazard,
but that could be as simple as some paracord attached in various
places to the door.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"caledongrl" wrote in message
[...]

I built one like that. Lined the opening with 2x4's screwed to the floor
joists. These were set down the distance of the finished door so it was
flush. Made it match the flooring. Used a recessed lift up handle to lift
the door. It was around ring type that recessed flat. Hope this helps you.
WW

Posted to alt.home.repair

Try to locate it under a couch .Cut your opening and header off your
joists ,a one inch finger hole for lifting. Don't you have outside
access ?? Or do you just like the "Rabbet in the hole " idea ???

Jerry

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutc...oodWorkingPage

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutcher/1974RuppCentair

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 10:21:00 -0800 (PST), caledongrl
wrote:

[...]

I don't know of any site, but a simple hinged door sounds practical. I
know of one house that had such a trap door located under the dining
table. You'd never know it was there unless it was pointed out. The
oak trim was applied such that it was flush with the door and floor.
Trim capentry skills help.

Posted to alt.home.repair

caledongrl wrote:
Hi, I have been searching all over the internet to find a design for a
trap door. My basement/crawlspace is only 5'10" high. I was not
allowed by the township to have a full basement ( I live in a very
highly regulated area)

That's the weirdest regulation I've heard in a while. What is the
reasoning?

Does it have a concrete floor or can you dig it deeper by hand?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 15, 2:24*pm, Tony wrote:
caledongrl wrote:
Hi, I have been searching all over the internet to find a design for a
trap door. My basement/crawlspace is only 5'10" high. I was not
allowed by the township to have a full basement ( I live in a very
highly regulated area)

That's the weirdest regulation I've heard in a while. *What is the
reasoning?

Does it have a concrete floor or can you dig it deeper by hand?

It is a strange regulation I agree. However, we are in a very
restricted area in terms of building - the area is protected land.
Because this is a second house on the property, when I renovated I
could not "expand" the living area. Previously there wasn't any
foundation or basement. By putting in a basement, they classify that
as "increasing the living area". I was pushing it by having such a
high crawl space! It is simply bureacratic BS.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 15, 1:28*pm, caledongrl wrote:
On Feb 15, 2:24*pm, Tony wrote:

caledongrl wrote:
Hi, I have been searching all over the internet to find a design for a
trap door. My basement/crawlspace is only 5'10" high. I was not
allowed by the township to have a full basement ( I live in a very
highly regulated area)

That's the weirdest regulation I've heard in a while. *What is the
reasoning?

Does it have a concrete floor or can you dig it deeper by hand?

It is a strange regulation I agree. However, we are in a very
restricted area in terms of building - the area is protected land.
Because this is a second house on the property, when I renovated I
could not "expand" the living area. Previously there wasn't any
foundation or basement. By putting in a basement, they classify that
as "increasing the living area". *I was pushing it by having such a
high crawl space! It is simply bureacratic BS.

Could you please tell us where that is, I want to avoid it like the
plague.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 15, 2:24 pm, Tony wrote:
caledongrl wrote:
Hi, I have been searching all over the internet to find a design for a
trap door. My basement/crawlspace is only 5'10" high. I was not
allowed by the township to have a full basement ( I live in a very
highly regulated area)

That's the weirdest regulation I've heard in a while. What is the
reasoning?

Does it have a concrete floor or can you dig it deeper by hand?

It is a strange regulation I agree. However, we are in a very
restricted area in terms of building - the area is protected land.
Because this is a second house on the property, when I renovated I
could not "expand" the living area. Previously there wasn't any
foundation or basement. By putting in a basement, they classify that
as "increasing the living area". I was pushing it by having such a
high crawl space! It is simply bureacratic BS.

When we were looking for land to build on it had regulations that you must
have 90% blue grass, no TV antennas, no close lines, cannot leave garage
door open except for enter or leaving with vehicle. We bought elsewhere.
Bought on a hillside that overlooks the city, and overlooks 3 mountain
ranges. So glad the restrictions caused us not to purchase the first place.
ww

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

On Feb 15, 2:24 pm, Tony wrote:
caledongrl wrote:
Hi, I have been searching all over the internet to find a design for a
trap door. My basement/crawlspace is only 5'10" high. I was not
allowed by the township to have a full basement ( I live in a very
highly regulated area)

That's the weirdest regulation I've heard in a while. What is the
reasoning?

Does it have a concrete floor or can you dig it deeper by hand?

It is a strange regulation I agree. However, we are in a very
restricted area in terms of building - the area is protected land.
Because this is a second house on the property, when I renovated I
could not "expand" the living area. Previously there wasn't any
foundation or basement. By putting in a basement, they classify that
as "increasing the living area". I was pushing it by having such a
high crawl space! It is simply bureacratic BS.

Well that explains it. Actually your regulations are rather loose, allowing
you a loophole to build a second house on one property. Most areas, in my
area as well, will not allow a second residence on one property without
severing the lot into two, then you really hit the bureaucracy and lots of
fees and regulations.

Posted to alt.home.repair
LdB LdB is offline

On 2/15/2010 12:21 PM, caledongrl wrote:
[...]

Have you considered moving the opening to another part of the house. I
have a trap door in my utility room. The living room would be my last
choice for an opening to my crawl space.

Find someone who knows construction for advice. Done properly a trap
door can be located almost anywhere in a standard wood frame house.

Here are a few handles that might work for you

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...20,43521,43559

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...=3,41427,41377

LdB
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 15, 2:24 pm, Tony wrote:

caledongrl wrote:
[...]

have 90% blue grass, no TV antennas, no clothes lines, cannot leave garage
door open except for entering or leaving with vehicle. We bought elsewhere.
Bought on a hillside that overlooks the city, and overlooks 3 mountain
ranges. So glad the restrictions caused us not to purchase the first place.
ww

So much for the land of the free and the brave?
Wondering if anyone ever challenged those regulations as being
unconstitutional?
A particularly stupid regulation in this day and age with concerns
about energy consumption/conservation etc. is 'no outside clothes
lines'!
The post also mentioned a) Blue grass; a variety which is particularly
susceptible to cinch bug! b) Not leaving garage door open except when
entering/leaving with a vehicle! So the garage never gets aired out;
judging by what gets stored in my garage and a couple of garden sheds
that door would be opening and closing fairly frequently. Mower, snow
blower, wheel barrow, couple of pedal bikes, some spare siding for the
house, during the summer the extra weights one puts in the vehicle for
better winter traction; in winter the extra set of summer tyres/
wheels. The chain saw and other garden tools; etc. etc.
Guess we just wouldn't fit in; eh?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 15, 2:24 pm, Tony wrote:

caledongrl wrote:
[...]

By what argument. You're not required to buy there.

A particularly stupid regulation in this day and age with concerns
about energy consumption/conservation etc. is 'no outside clothes
lines'!

Neighbors don't want to see your undies. If this were something that
changed *after* you bought, it might be something to be ****ed about.

The post also mentioned a) Blue grass; a variety which is particularly
susceptible to cinch bug! b) Not leaving garage door open except when
entering/leaving with a vehicle! So the garage never gets aired out;
judging by what gets stored in my garage and a couple of garden sheds
that door would be opening and closing fairly frequently. Mower, snow
blower, wheel barrow, couple of pedal bikes, some spare siding for the
house, during the summer the extra weights one puts in the vehicle for
better winter traction; in winter the extra set of summer tyres/
wheels. The chain saw and other garden tools; etc. etc.
Guess we just wouldn't fit in; eh?

Well, my table saw got dibs on the garage (no basements here). ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 16 Feb 2010 22:52:52 GMT, Stepfann King
wrote:

Watch out for the people who live beneath the stairs.
eeeeeekkkkkkkkkk

Don't look in the basement. woman screaming
Posted to alt.home.repair

There isn't a closet somewhere that you could install the ccess in?
Would it be possible to put in a door to access the space from outside
-in the back side of the house?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 18 Feb 2010 02:45:10 GMT, Stepfann King
wrote:

Neighbors don't want to see your undies.

I'd rub some poop on the underwear and hang it out for all to see.
Lots of poop. Hang it out in the front yard.

You must be an Obamanite.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 18 Feb 2010 06:24:49 GMT, Stepfann King
wrote:

krw wrote in
:

wrote:

Neighbors don't want to see your undies.

I'd rub some poop on the underwear and hang it out for all to see.
Lots of poop. Hang it out in the front yard.

You must be an Obamanite.

I'd use your poop since you have a huge output.

Oh my, another scatological leftist crawls out of his sewer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to mike, jason wrote:
Perfect. Simple.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...nt-425292-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 14 Oct 2019 07:14:02 +0000, jason
m wrote:

replying to mike, jason wrote:
Perfect. Simple.

If you already own the house, are we to believe there is currently no
entrance to the basement? No of course not, since you know the size of
the opening. There must also be a cover to the opening, so people don't
walk through the living room in the dark and fall into the basement.

How often do you plan to go there?. Probably a lot at first and then
rarely.

I like Mike's idea too (no hinges) because that's what we had. Of
course our trap door was in a closet. It was actually a hardwood trap
door, cut out of the closet floor I think. I never actually checked the
grain because it was dark in there, but I think they put in the floor
when there was still other access to the crawlspace, and then cut the
trap door from the hardwood floor. We weren't the first owners but I
thought there should be handles for the door so we used low profile
hinges. If yours is in the middle of the room (and it must be if
you're considering a throw rug) the hingepin bumps would still be too
big. Instead get those inset handles.

If you really really want to hinge what's there, there are "invisible
hinges" but a) I'm not sure they make them big enough for your purpose,
b) might be hard to install just right. Too small:
https://www.amazon.com/SOSS-208US26D...df_B008FL39HM/
Although the chart might help.

And you'll still need all the wood rim that Mike recommends.

https://www.google.com/search?client...4dUDCAo&uact=5
https://www.google.com/search?client...U DCAo&uact=5

Good ones but probably better than you need:
https://www.amazon.com/SMBBIT-Stainl...83556496&psc=1

I've never seen the metal version you refer to. Do you have a link?

Instead of working on the trap door, spend your time building a good,
permanent ladder that attaches to the 1st floor at the right spot, while
not obstructing the entry. Time better spent.

As to the limited height of the basement, marry a short man. If you're
currently married to a tall man, dump him and find a short one.