Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sharkbite plumbing fittings - a bad idea?

I am wondering whether there are any reasons to NOT use Sharkbite
push-fit plumbing fittings other than their relatively high cost?

Rather than sweat soldering, they seem like a really attractive and
very fast way to install copper plumbing without use of a torch or
solder. I am especially curious to know if they are holding up well,
and are as good as they appear on paper.

Any opinions would be most appreciated.

Smarty

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 15, 9:23*pm, "Smarty" wrote:
I am wondering whether there are any reasons to NOT use Sharkbite
push-fit plumbing fittings other than their relatively high cost?

Rather than sweat soldering, they seem like a really attractive and
very fast way to install copper plumbing without use of a torch or
solder. I am especially curious to know if they are holding up well,
and are as good as they appear on paper.

Any opinions would be most appreciated.

Smarty

Compared to sweated fittings they are bulky and expensive and ease of
installation may range from not that much easier to a real PITA
compared to sweating copper.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 18:38:07 -0800 (PST), JIMMIE
wrote:

On Jan 15, 9:23*pm, "Smarty" wrote:
I am wondering whether there are any reasons to NOT use Sharkbite
push-fit plumbing fittings other than their relatively high cost?

Rather than sweat soldering, they seem like a really attractive and
very fast way to install copper plumbing without use of a torch or
solder. I am especially curious to know if they are holding up well,
and are as good as they appear on paper.

Any opinions would be most appreciated.

Smarty

Compared to sweated fittings they are bulky and expensive and ease of
installation may range from not that much easier to a real PITA
compared to sweating copper.

Tell me a situation where a sharkbite is a PITA compared to sweating
copper.

I only have 2 in my house in a spot where I didn't feel like sweating
a couple of joints because they were hard to get to & surrounded by
flammables. Haven't leaked yet- 3yrs or so.

They *are* expensive, they *are* bulky. But harder than sweating? I
don't see it.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 02:23:44 +0000 (UTC), "Smarty"
wrote:

I am wondering whether there are any reasons to NOT use Sharkbite
push-fit plumbing fittings other than their relatively high cost?

Rather than sweat soldering, they seem like a really attractive and
very fast way to install copper plumbing without use of a torch or
solder. I am especially curious to know if they are holding up well,
and are as good as they appear on paper.

Any opinions would be most appreciated.

Smarty

They can make a plumbing job go fast. Sharkbite fittings are amazing.
I used them during a water tank install and expansion tank a year ago
and they never leaked.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Smarty wrote:

I am wondering whether there are any reasons to NOT use Sharkbite
push-fit plumbing fittings other than their relatively high cost?

Rather than sweat soldering, they seem like a really attractive and
very fast way to install copper plumbing without use of a torch or
solder. I am especially curious to know if they are holding up well,
and are as good as they appear on paper.

Any opinions would be most appreciated.

Smarty

The Sharkbite fittings are very much like the push lock air fittings
that have been used for industrial pneumatic stuff for a long time, so I
would expect the reliability is good as long as the O ring material was
properly selected.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 15, 10:50*pm, "Pete C." wrote:
Smarty wrote:

I am wondering whether there are any reasons to NOT use Sharkbite
push-fit plumbing fittings other than their relatively high cost?

Rather than sweat soldering, they seem like a really attractive and
very fast way to install copper plumbing without use of a torch or
solder. I am especially curious to know if they are holding up well,
and are as good as they appear on paper.

Any opinions would be most appreciated.

Smarty

The Sharkbite fittings are very much like the push lock air fittings
that have been used for industrial pneumatic stuff for a long time, so I
would expect the reliability is good as long as the O ring material was
properly selected.

I'd say that comparing air fittings and water fittings and concluding
that because something works in one application it means it's OK for
the other is a little like saying that an O ring that's good for a
toilet is OK to use to seal the space shuttle fuel tanks. Until I
see 20+ years of actual field use, I'd use them where really
necessary, but not conclude they are a reliable solution to use
everywhere.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 16, 4:37*am, wrote:
On Jan 15, 10:50*pm, "Pete C." wrote:

Smarty wrote:

[...]

We have used them on various camp units on Alaska's North Slope.
These units are connected/disconnected twice a year for the drilling
season. We are talking about 40ft Connex's that have been converted
into sleeping/dining modules. The temps range from sometimes 70 F in
the summer to well below -50 in the winter. These fittings are
wonderful. After a couple three connects/disconnect cycles they need
replaced, but for a home user they would be ideal. They can handle
(if memory serves) around 200 psi and the hottest water your water
heater can make.

Two thumbs up!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Jan 15, 9:23*pm, "Smarty" wrote:
[...]

Just didn't have room to fit them in as we both agree they are bulky.
You must think sweating Cu pipe is more difficult than I do. Fact is I
kind of enjoy doing it.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Jan 15, 9:23Â*pm, "Smarty" wrote:
I am wondering whether there are any reasons to NOT use Sharkbite
push-fit plumbing fittings other than their relatively high cost?

Rather than sweat soldering, they seem like a really attractive and
very fast way to install copper plumbing without use of a torch or
solder. I am especially curious to know if they are holding up well,
and are as good as they appear on paper.

Any opinions would be most appreciated.

Smarty

Compared to sweated fittings they are bulky and expensive and ease of
installation may range from not that much easier to a real PITA
compared to sweating copper.

Tell me a situation where a sharkbite is a PITA compared to sweating
copper. Â* Â* Â*

I only have 2 in my house in a spot where I didn't feel like sweating
a couple of joints because they were hard to get to & surrounded by
flammables. Â* Â* Haven't leaked yet- 3yrs or so.

They *are* expensive, they *are* bulky. Â* Â*But harder than sweating? I
don't see it.

Jim

Just didn't have room to fit them in as we both agree they are bulky.
You must think sweating Cu pipe is more difficult than I do. Fact is I
kind of enjoy doing it.

Jimmie

Try doing it above and behind a roughly 8"X14" heating duct3 inches
from a2X4 .The duct is4 inches from the concrete wall that the 2X4
wall framing is set against. The only possible options were a
Sharkbite type connection or soft drawn copper tube - and the
sharkbite was a lot easier and neater installation.

I don't mind sweating copper pipe either, when you can reach it, but
it would have required dropping the entire forced air heating duct
system and re-installing it - which would have required removing
another whole wall as well.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Jan 15, 9:23*pm, "Smarty" wrote:

[...]

Your taking pleasure in sweating has nothing to do with the OP's
question and is entirely besides the fact. Your opinion that
installation may range from not that much easier to a real PITA
compared to sweating copper.

indicates you have never used them.

Sharkbite's are much faster than sweating, even if you're geared up to
sweat and have a bunch to do. A Sharkbite fitting takes about as much
time to install as cleaning a copper fitting joint. The ability to
use a Sharkbite fitting on copper, PEX or PVC, coupled with their ease
of installation, far outweighs the cost premium.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Jan 15, 9:23*pm, "Smarty" wrote:

[...]

Thanks to all for replies and comments. My conclusion from all of this
is that they are apparently fast, easier to use, and in some situations
vastly superior where combustibles or very tight work areas limit
access. I also conclude that long term reliability is somewhat unproven
but quite possibly very good. And no doubt they cost a lot more, but
the labor savings may be substantial.

Again, thank you,

Smarty

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks to all for replies and comments. My conclusion from all of this
is that they are apparently fast, easier to use, and in some situations
vastly superior where combustibles or very tight work areas limit
access.

I used a Sharkbite fitting inside a wall when replacing a frost free
outdoor spigot.
It was a tight spot. A local plumber who replaced my boiler a few years
ago recommended
it as an easy and reliable solution for homeowner repairs.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Smarty, Dave S wrote:
All the answers I read here are worthy - there are good reasons to sweat and
to use push on's --- My comment for all is that I remodeled to remove a bar
faucet in a family room 19 years ago, and closed the supply - hot and cold -
with shark bite end caps -- no problem so far - pretty comfortable with them,
and used them again 5 years ago in a bath remodel - still perfect. They've
been around too long to be faulty without all of us DIYers not hearing about
it.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ea-419145-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 10 Jan 2019 17:14:04 GMT, Dave S m
wrote:

replying to Smarty, Dave S wrote:
All the answers I read here are worthy - there are good reasons to sweat and
to use push on's --- My comment for all is that I remodeled to remove a bar
faucet in a family room 19 years ago, and closed the supply - hot and cold -
with shark bite end caps -- no problem so far - pretty comfortable with them,
and used them again 5 years ago in a bath remodel - still perfect. They've
been around too long to be faulty without all of us DIYers not hearing about
it.

They use o-rings to seal, correct? If so, what is the o-ring material?

--
croy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, January 15, 2010 at 8:23:44 PM UTC-6, Smarty wrote:
I am wondering whether there are any reasons to NOT use Sharkbite
push-fit plumbing fittings other than their relatively high cost?

I was wondering the same thing since the water-powered sump pump I
just received came with one pre-installed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

replying to Smarty, Dave S wrote:
All the answers I read here are worthy - there are good reasons to sweat and
to use push on's --- My comment for all is that I remodeled to remove a bar
faucet in a family room 19 years ago, and closed the supply - hot and cold -
with shark bite end caps -- no problem so far - pretty comfortable with them,
and used them again 5 years ago in a bath remodel - still perfect. They've
been around too long to be faulty without all of us DIYers not hearing about
it.

They use o-rings to seal, correct? If so, what is the o-ring material?

I read one concern that the elastomer used to make the O-ring might be
degraded over the years by the chlorine in the city water.

I worry about building materials that might degrade over decades. I
heard that copper pipes are good for about 60 years. Our well water is
said to accelerate ageing but mine are 45 years old and still going. A
next door neighbor had his copper replaced with PEX and after he moved
the new owner found that all the connections were leaking and needed to
be replaced. They probably were not Sharkbites as they are more
expensive and I think they have been around for 18 years.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/11/19 1:19 AM, Davej wrote:
On Friday, January 15, 2010 at 8:23:44 PM UTC-6, Smarty wrote:
I am wondering whether there are any reasons to NOT use Sharkbite
push-fit plumbing fittings other than their relatively high cost?

I was wondering the same thing since the water-powered sump pump I
just received came with one pre-installed.

One wonders how a sump pump is water-powered...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 11 Jan 2019 09:25:42 -0500, Wade Garrett
wrote:

On 1/11/19 1:19 AM, Davej wrote:
On Friday, January 15, 2010 at 8:23:44 PM UTC-6, Smarty wrote:
I am wondering whether there are any reasons to NOT use Sharkbite
push-fit plumbing fittings other than their relatively high cost?

I was wondering the same thing since the water-powered sump pump I
just received came with one pre-installed.

One wonders how a sump pump is water-powered...

one example :

https://www.homehardware.ca/en/water...hose/p/3125834

John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 1/11/19 1:19 AM, Davej wrote:
On Friday, January 15, 2010 at 8:23:44 PM UTC-6, Smarty wrote:
I am wondering whether there are any reasons to NOT use Sharkbite
push-fit plumbing fittings other than their relatively high cost?

I was wondering the same thing since the water-powered sump pump I
just received came with one pre-installed.

One wonders how a sump pump is water-powered...

Bernoules principal - basically a venturi pump. - is the most
common. HYdraukic pumps are another option.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 1/11/19 1:19 AM, Davej wrote:
On Friday, January 15, 2010 at 8:23:44 PM UTC-6, Smarty wrote:
I am wondering whether there are any reasons to NOT use Sharkbite
push-fit plumbing fittings other than their relatively high cost?

I was wondering the same thing since the water-powered sump pump I
just received came with one pre-installed.

One wonders how a sump pump is water-powered...

one example :

https://www.homehardware.ca/en/water...hose/p/3125834

Sounds great

"1 gallon of water from a garden hose, pumps out 6 gallons of water"

Is that possible?

"Basepump uses 1 Gallon of City Water to remove 2 Gallons of Sump Water
at an average of 90 lbs. PSI and 10 Feet Lift" Basepump has been
around for 20 or more years and I think there were endorsements of it
here, and it only claims 2 gallons, but that's with a 10 foot lift. Only
the bottom of the swimming pool requires that Maybe???? when the pool
is full and it only requires a 6" lift it could do 6 gallons on one
gallon?

If it works at all since it has no price, no dimensions and no rating!

Here are better ads with price, a bit of dimensions, and this one has 3
reviews. About 35 dollars.
https://express.google.com/u/0/produ...AnsoEALw_w cB

One guy complained that it floated to the top, and turned over, so put a
weight on it!

Another ad with fewer details says "You're shopping in 21216
For more accurate pricing and availability, please provide your zip
code" That's NYC. Why does it think I'm in NYC, and why zone 16, which
I've never heard of?

Without any hoses, $21
https://www.amazon.com/G-T-Water-Pro...07072236&psc=1

John T.

Micky

https://youtu.be/CDjT1fhrs-A

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 1/11/19 1:19 AM, Davej wrote:
On Friday, January 15, 2010 at 8:23:44 PM UTC-6, Smarty wrote:
I am wondering whether there are any reasons to NOT use Sharkbite
push-fit plumbing fittings other than their relatively high cost?

I was wondering the same thing since the water-powered sump pump I
just received came with one pre-installed.

One wonders how a sump pump is water-powered...

one example :

https://www.homehardware.ca/en/water...hose/p/3125834

39.99 Canadian at the home hardware store 2Km down the road from me.

[...]

Junior Member

Location: Panama
Send a message via ICQ to WarnerCrick Send a message via AIM to WarnerCrick Send a message via Yahoo to WarnerCrick Send a message via Skype™ to WarnerCrick

I think, that you are mistaken. I can defend the position. Write to me in PM, we will talk.