Old January 11th 10, 09:42 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default standard kitchen cabinet depth

I have made a lot of kitchen cabinets, but I have never decided for
sure what standard 24 inch depth means--is it the overall depth of the
carcase, or is it the overall depth of the cabinet with drawers and
doors installed? A 24 inch carcase with overlay doors has a total
overall depth of 24 13/16" or so with overlay doors. Countertops are
25" deep typically or maybe a bit more, and they won't overhang the
outer face of the cabinet by very much if you have overlay doors and a
24" carcase. Everybody in the world knows the answer here but me, I
imagine.

Old January 12th 10, 12:04 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 11, 3:42*pm, heteroscedastic wrote:
I have made a lot of kitchen cabinets, but I have never decided for
sure what standard 24 inch depth means--is it the overall depth of the
carcase, or is it the overall depth of the cabinet with drawers and
doors installed? *A 24 inch carcase with overlay doors has a total
overall depth of 24 13/16" or so with overlay doors. *Countertops are
25" deep typically or maybe a bit more, and they won't overhang the
outer face of the cabinet by very much if you have overlay doors and a
24" carcase. *Everybody in the world knows the answer here but me, I
imagine.

Have you gone to a store to look at ready-made cabinets, or are you in
the middle of the desert?
Old January 12th 10, 01:28 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 11, 4:42*pm, heteroscedastic wrote:
I have made a lot of kitchen cabinets, but I have never decided for
sure what standard 24 inch depth means--is it the overall depth of the
carcase, or is it the overall depth of the cabinet with drawers and
doors installed? *A 24 inch carcase with overlay doors has a total
overall depth of 24 13/16" or so with overlay doors. *Countertops are
25" deep typically or maybe a bit more, and they won't overhang the
outer face of the cabinet by very much if you have overlay doors and a
24" carcase. *Everybody in the world knows the answer here but me, I
imagine.

The frame itself is 24". Add the drawer and it's about another 1". Any
standard countertop always has some type of overhang.
Old January 12th 10, 01:47 AM posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

"heteroscedastic" wrote in message
:I have made a lot of kitchen cabinets, but I have never decided for
: sure what standard 24 inch depth means--is it the overall depth of the
: carcase, or is it the overall depth of the cabinet with drawers and
: doors installed? A 24 inch carcase with overlay doors has a total
: overall depth of 24 13/16" or so with overlay doors. Countertops are
: 25" deep typically or maybe a bit more, and they won't overhang the
: outer face of the cabinet by very much if you have overlay doors and a
: 24" carcase. Everybody in the world knows the answer here but me, I
: imagine.

Except me. What the hell is a 'carcase'?

Old January 12th 10, 01:48 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 11, 8:13*pm, "benick" wrote:
"hr(bob) " wrote in message

On Jan 11, 3:42 pm, heteroscedastic wrote:

I have made a lot of kitchen cabinets, but I have never decided for
sure what standard 24 inch depth means--is it the overall depth of the
carcase, or is it the overall depth of the cabinet with drawers and
doors installed? A 24 inch carcase with overlay doors has a total
overall depth of 24 13/16" or so with overlay doors. Countertops are
25" deep typically or maybe a bit more, and they won't overhang the
outer face of the cabinet by very much if you have overlay doors and a
24" carcase. Everybody in the world knows the answer here but me, I
imagine.

Have you gone to a store to look at ready-made cabinets, or are you in
the middle of the desert?

Good point...I was wondering how somebody who has supposedly built "alot of
kitchen cabinets" doesn't know how wide they are...Maybe it's just me....

Possibly it is just you. I have in fact looked around, and found
different measurements. Besides, if I went to home depot instead of
posting here, you might have had to wait a couple more days to get a
chance to be a smartass with some other post. So, as I see it, we
have a win-win situation.
Old January 12th 10, 02:05 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"Joe" wrote in
:

http://www.psalmscat.com/images/large/CarCase_lg.jpg
Old January 12th 10, 02:28 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"Red Green" wrote in message
"Joe" wrote in
:

"heteroscedastic" wrote in message
:I have made a lot of kitchen cabinets, but I have never decided for
: sure what standard 24 inch depth means--is it the overall depth of the
: carcase, or is it the overall depth of the cabinet with drawers and
: doors installed? A 24 inch carcase with overlay doors has a total
: overall depth of 24 13/16" or so with overlay doors. Countertops are
: 25" deep typically or maybe a bit more, and they won't overhang the
: outer face of the cabinet by very much if you have overlay doors and a
: 24" carcase. Everybody in the world knows the answer here but me, I
: imagine.

Except me. What the hell is a 'carcase'?

I had my cabinets installed away from the wall with a countertop depth of
38" (2" cabinet overhang). That way I can put appliances against the wall
and still have usable counter space in front. I had the space so I used it.
Otherwise my galley-style kitchen would have a foot of wasted floor space.
Also, this way the fridge is flush with the countertop so it doesn't stick
out like it did with my old set up.

Old January 12th 10, 03:15 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Joe wrote:
"heteroscedastic" wrote in message
I have made a lot of kitchen cabinets, but I have never decided for
sure what standard 24 inch depth means--is it the overall depth of
the carcase, or is it the overall depth of the cabinet with drawers
and doors installed? A 24 inch carcase with overlay doors has a
total overall depth of 24 13/16" or so with overlay doors.
Countertops are 25" deep typically or maybe a bit more, and they
won't overhang the outer face of the cabinet by very much if you
have overlay doors and a 24" carcase. Everybody in the world knows
the answer here but me, I imagine.

Except me. What the hell is a 'carcase'?

Also sometimes spelled carcass. It is the frame or body of the cabinet.

Old January 12th 10, 04:12 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Joe wrote:
"heteroscedastic" wrote in message
:I have made a lot of kitchen cabinets, but I have never decided for
: sure what standard 24 inch depth means--is it the overall depth of the
: carcase, or is it the overall depth of the cabinet with drawers and
: doors installed? A 24 inch carcase with overlay doors has a total
: overall depth of 24 13/16" or so with overlay doors. Countertops are
: 25" deep typically or maybe a bit more, and they won't overhang the
: outer face of the cabinet by very much if you have overlay doors and a
: 24" carcase. Everybody in the world knows the answer here but me, I
: imagine.

Except me. What the hell is a 'carcase'?

It is an alternate spelling for "carcass". I'm guessing he is calling
the cabinets without tops a carcass. And Wiki says:

"Carcass (furniture), the part of a piece of furniture that holds
inlays" but I'm not sure about that use?

Are recessed medicine cabinet depth same as "nominal depth"? MiamiCuse Home Repair 2 February 4th 09 03:09 AM
Are recessed medicine cabinet depth same as "nominal depth"? aemeijers Home Repair 0 February 4th 09 02:42 AM
Kitchen Cabinet depth 51 UK diy 15 December 26th 06 01:08 PM
Remodel kitchen - cabinet depth refrigerator? Tom Home Ownership 3 May 23rd 06 02:40 PM
Deep well sockets better than standard depth? [email protected] Home Ownership 6 January 13th 05 11:48 AM