Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Vinyl siding question from rookie

Most of my house is the cheap frame siding with several rotten-out
boards. Does vinyl siding go over top of the frame siding or is the
old frame removed? Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 11, 2:14�am, LRESA wrote:
Most of my house is the cheap frame siding with several rotten-out
boards. Does vinyl siding go over top of the frame siding or is the
old frame removed? Thanks

I am not sure what you mean by "cheap frame siding". But, if it
"lapped siding" you will have to either replace it with OSB or put
furring stripes over it. If you don't, the siding will not fit/look
right. If you are talking about T-111, you can side right over it.
Just make sure the T-111 is attached firmly and won't bow out from
warping.

Hank
Posted to alt.home.repair

"LRESA" wrote

| Most of my house is the cheap frame siding with several rotten-out
| boards. Does vinyl siding go over top of the frame siding or is the
| old frame removed? Thanks

You should remove the rotten boards and replace them with OSB. Otherwise the
rot will keep spreading.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 23:14:25 -0800 (PST), LRESA wrote:

Most of my house is the cheap frame siding with several rotten-out
boards. Does vinyl siding go over top of the frame siding or is the
old frame removed? Thanks

I'm guessing you have some kind of old wood siding that has
deteriorated over the years.

If the rotting is not too horribly far advanced, it's likely
practical to use it to fasten new vinyl siding. This has been done
with literally zillions of structures.

You need to have a good idea of what a contractor would need to do ...

Identify the old siding on the structure, assess the degree of
rotting, then get a how-to booklet or 2 from Home Depot or Lowes etc
and read it. The way vinyl siding is "hung" is fairly intuitive: you
should be able to grasp it fairly easily.

J-siding missing on vinyl siding next to chimney: pics Mikepier Home Repair 1 December 16th 08 12:22 AM
vinyl siding install question Steve[_8_] Home Repair 4 September 24th 07 02:46 AM
Texcote-Stucco-Vinyl Siding Question Rick Home Repair 4 September 25th 06 01:49 AM
Rookie Question russ498 Woodturning 8 November 22nd 05 05:05 PM
Vinyl siding question Kevin French Home Repair 1 December 15th 04 11:57 PM