DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Where to store left over bricks (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/294867-where-store-left-over-bricks.html)

dalemstevens December 27th 09 01:19 AM

Where to store left over bricks

My dad has a 25 year old home for which he has saved some 250 brick
from the original construction. He wants to get rid of them after all
this time to make room for whatever. I think it is a shame to haul
them off to the landfill when as soon as he does so something for some
reason or another will come up where they are needed (I know it is a
stretch, but for example a couple of years ago a car ran off the road
and into a home...you guessed it, the new bricks used to fix the hole
did not match too well). If he could figure out where to store them
without them being in the way too much they would stay. What could be
done with them?

David Nebenzahl December 27th 09 01:36 AM

Where to store left over bricks

On 12/26/2009 4:19 PM dalemstevens spake thus:

My dad has a 25 year old home for which he has saved some 250 brick
from the original construction. He wants to get rid of them after all
this time to make room for whatever. I think it is a shame to haul
them off to the landfill when as soon as he does so something for some
reason or another will come up where they are needed (I know it is a
stretch, but for example a couple of years ago a car ran off the road
and into a home...you guessed it, the new bricks used to fix the hole
did not match too well). If he could figure out where to store them
without them being in the way too much they would stay. What could be
done with them?

Well, if it hasn't already occurred to you, the bricks could be stored
perfectly well outside without worrying about damage. You could pave an
area, or just stack them behind, under or around something. When it
comes time to use them, just wash them off and you're good to go.

--
I am a Canadian who was born and raised in The Netherlands. I live on
Planet Earth on a spot of land called Canada. We have noisy neighbours.

- harvested from Usenet

aemeijers[_2_] December 27th 09 01:50 AM

On Dec 26, 6:19*pm, dalemstevens wrote:
My dad has a 25 year old home for which he has saved some 250 brick
from the original construction. *He wants to get rid of them after all
this time to make room for whatever. *I think it is a shame to haul
them off to the landfill when as soon as he does so something for some
reason or another will come up where they are needed (I know it is a
stretch, but for example a couple of years ago a car ran off the road
and into a home...you guessed it, the new bricks used to fix the hole
did not match too well). *If he could figure out where to store them
without them being in the way too much they would stay. *What could be
done with them?

Oh, definitely hold on to them. You are quite right, as soon as they
are gone you will need them. Say, water gets behind a wall, freezes,
and cracks a few. Or ivy peels the face off a couple dozen. Or he or
the next owner wants to change a window, or redo a failed chimney
stack. Basement or crawlspace available? One annoying day getting
them down there, and then forget about them till needed. Probably no
more time than hauling them to the landfill, unless he has a truck.
Stacked flat 7 or 8 high along one wall, like in the furnace room,
they will not take up much usable footprint. If he has storage shelves
in basement, they can go behind and under the bottom shelf. If he has
the space, dry-stack them carefully interlaced into a couple
pedestals, throw a solid door over the top, and use as a workbench.
Always a good idea to keep some spares on hand for stuff like that.
(oddball trim, wierd electrical plates, ceramic tile, kitchen drawer
pulls, etc.)

If his heart is set on getting rid of them, at least donate them to
Habitat ReStore or something.

--
aem sends....

Doug Miller December 27th 09 01:54 AM

In article m, David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 12/26/2009 4:19 PM dalemstevens spake thus:

My dad has a 25 year old home for which he has saved some 250 brick
from the original construction. He wants to get rid of them after all
this time to make room for whatever. I think it is a shame to haul
them off to the landfill when as soon as he does so something for some
reason or another will come up where they are needed (I know it is a
stretch, but for example a couple of years ago a car ran off the road
and into a home...you guessed it, the new bricks used to fix the hole
did not match too well). If he could figure out where to store them
without them being in the way too much they would stay. What could be
done with them?

Well, if it hasn't already occurred to you, the bricks could be stored
perfectly well outside without worrying about damage.

I don't agree. Only the show face of a construction brick is water-resistant.
The other five faces will absorb water readily. Unless the OP lives in an area
where the outdoor temperature *never* drops below 32F/0C, bricks stored
outdoors will be destroyed by spalling after a couple of winters. Paving
bricks are a different story, of course, but that's not what the OP is talking
about.

Doug Miller December 27th 09 01:56 AM

In article , aemeijers wrote:

Stacked flat 7 or 8 high along one wall, like in the furnace room,
they will not take up much usable footprint. If he has storage shelves
in basement, they can go behind and under the bottom shelf.

And if he doesn't have storage shelves in the basement, he can use the bricks
and a few 1x10s to make storage shelves...

Jon Danniken[_2_] December 27th 09 01:59 AM

dalemstevens wrote:
My dad has a 25 year old home for which he has saved some 250 brick
from the original construction. He wants to get rid of them after all
this time to make room for whatever. I think it is a shame to haul
them off to the landfill when as soon as he does so something for some
reason or another will come up where they are needed (I know it is a
stretch, but for example a couple of years ago a car ran off the road
and into a home...you guessed it, the new bricks used to fix the hole
did not match too well). If he could figure out where to store them
without them being in the way too much they would stay. What could be
done with them?

Put down some gravel outside to make a "foundation", stack the bricks
neatly, leaving a hollowed out area a foot deep. Line the hollowed out area
with some plastic, and put some pots in there with flowers.

Remove bricks/reassemble as you need them.

Jon

Oren[_2_] December 27th 09 02:14 AM

Where to store left over bricks

On Sun, 27 Dec 2009 00:56:29 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article , aemeijers wrote:

Stacked flat 7 or 8 high along one wall, like in the furnace room,
they will not take up much usable footprint. If he has storage shelves
in basement, they can go behind and under the bottom shelf.

And if he doesn't have storage shelves in the basement, he can use the bricks
and a few 1x10s to make storage shelves...

Hey, that sounds like a former cinder block shelf for poor students...

[email protected][_2_] December 27th 09 03:13 AM

aemeijers wrote:
[...]

They make lovely shelves....make two or three short stacks, lay a board
across, repeat. I used some landscape pavers and rather inexpensive
prefinished shelves from HD to make shelves for guestroom...can change
layout or add to it if needed.

hr(bob) [email protected] December 27th 09 03:32 AM

Where to store left over bricks

On Dec 26, 8:13*pm, "
wrote:
aemeijers wrote:
[...]

aem sends....- Hide quoted text -

250 bricks will make a lot of bookshelves. But I can't believe only
the "face" is waterproof. Every house I have seen that is brick has
not only the face exposed, but also 3/8" of the top, sides and
bottom. I would go for a false wall along side an existing basement
wall. Find some place to store them, or offer 200 of them for sale on
a local bulletin board. Definitely keep at least 50 of them for some
unforeseen circumstance.

[email protected] December 27th 09 04:36 AM

Where to store left over bricks

On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 16:19:20 -0800 (PST), dalemstevens
wrote:

My dad has a 25 year old home for which he has saved some 250 brick
from the original construction. He wants to get rid of them after all
this time to make room for whatever. I think it is a shame to haul
them off to the landfill when as soon as he does so something for some
reason or another will come up where they are needed (I know it is a
stretch, but for example a couple of years ago a car ran off the road
and into a home...you guessed it, the new bricks used to fix the hole
did not match too well). If he could figure out where to store them
without them being in the way too much they would stay. What could be
done with them?

Stack them against the wall inside the end of the garage, or inside
the "fruit cellar" or "cold room" generally located under the front
entry, or in some other similar "out-of-the-way" location

[email protected] December 27th 09 04:42 AM

Where to store left over bricks

On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 18:32:21 -0800 (PST), "hr(bob) "
wrote:

On Dec 26, 8:13Â*pm, "
wrote:
aemeijers wrote:
On Dec 26, 6:19 pm, dalemstevens wrote:
My dad has a 25 year old home for which he has saved some 250 brick
from the original construction. Â*He wants to get rid of them after all
this time to make room for whatever. Â*I think it is a shame to haul
them off to the landfill when as soon as he does so something for some
reason or another will come up where they are needed (I know it is a
stretch, but for example a couple of years ago a car ran off the road
and into a home...you guessed it, the new bricks used to fix the hole
did not match too well). Â*If he could figure out where to store them
without them being in the way too much they would stay. Â*What could be
done with them?

Oh, definitely hold on to them. You are quite right, as soon as they
are gone you will need them. Say, water gets behind a wall, freezes,
and cracks a few. Or ivy peels the face off a couple dozen. Or he or
the next owner wants to change a window, or redo a failed chimney
stack. Â*Basement or crawlspace available? One annoying day getting
them down there, and then forget about them till needed. Probably no
more time than hauling them to the landfill, unless he has a truck.
Stacked flat 7 or 8 high along one wall, like in the furnace room,
they will not take up much usable footprint. If he has storage shelves

They make lovely shelves....make two or three short stacks, lay a board
across, repeat. Â*I used some landscape pavers and rather inexpensive
[...]

It IS true that some bricks are not waterproof on the top and bottom
faces, but more serious is water freezing in the "cores" of the brick
expanding and splitting the brick. This is a very real possibility
when stored outside at or near ground level.

The OP does not specify if they are concrete or clay bricks - and if
concrete what type. An autoclaved concrete (man-made stone) brick is a
totally different animal than a normal portland cement brick - and
even then the aggregate used makes a big difference in how well they
stand wet freeze-thaw cycles.

ransley December 27th 09 02:23 PM

On Dec 26, 6:36*pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:
[...]

Untrue, they will deteriorate from being water soaked and freezing,
some go in 5 years, some last 50 but most all will be weakened. As far
as just "wash them off" thats a crock of bs unless you dont care if
the mortar might fail in 20 years, since when does mortar bond to dirt
or mold, brick is porus he would have to acid wash them, and some
types of brick change color with acid. They are best stored dry,
inside or out and covered to keep off dirt.

benick[_2_] December 27th 09 10:43 PM

"ransley" wrote in message
[...]

I would tend to agree with Ransley atleast from what I've seen on
jobsites...The bricks are delivered on pallets and shrink wrapped...Once on
site they are covered with tarps or lumber covers as well....Buy a few
pallets and tarps and you should be good....Why chance it unless using them
as pavers is all you're gonna do...Around here(coastal Maine) old bricks
bring a pretty penny...Alot of historic renovations and rich city folk who
think old stuff is chic...LOL...There are 2 places near me that buys and
sells old bricks , beams , barnboards , windows , doors , hardware ,
hardwood flooring , tubs , toilets ect. , ect. .....No need to fill up the
land fill with them...I bet if you looked you would find somebody to buy and
haul them off...Keep a few of course...

AZ Nomad[_2_] December 27th 09 11:06 PM

On Sun, 27 Dec 2009 16:43:08 -0500, benick wrote:

"ransley" wrote in message
[...]

What process, pray tell, deteriorates unassembled bricks as opposed to
assembled brick walls?

benick[_2_] December 27th 09 11:39 PM

"ransley" wrote in message
[...]

Not that I'm an expert but a quick Bing search got this...HTH...

PROTECTION

Storage of Materials

The manner in which materials are stored at the construction site may have
an influence on their future performance. Materials should be stored to
avoid wetting by rain or snow, and also avoid contamination by salts or
other matter which may contribute to efflorescence and staining.

Source...gobrick.com Tecnical
Notes....http://www.gobrick.com/BIA/technotes/t21c.htm

AZ Nomad[_2_] December 28th 09 01:31 AM

"ransley" wrote in message
[...]

Not all materials are equal. No mention of bricks, I can't assume that
your cite has the slightest bearing on storing bricks.

benick[_2_] December 28th 09 03:04 AM

"ransley" wrote in message
[...]

Try READING the link...IT IS TALKING ABOUT BRICKS hence the name of the
website gobrick.com and cites the Brick Institute of America.....

PROTECTION

Storage of Materials

The manner in which materials are stored at the construction site may have
an influence on their future performance. Materials should be stored to
avoid wetting by rain or snow, and also avoid contamination by salts or
other matter which may contribute to efflorescence and staining.

Masonry Units. Masonry units should be stored off the ground to avoid
contamination by dirt and by ground water which may contain soluble salts.
They should also be covered by a water-resistant membrane to keep them dry.

Cementitious Materials. Cementitious materials for mortar should be stored
off the ground and under cover.

Sand. Sand for mortar should also be stored on high ground, or ideally, off
the ground to prevent contamination from dirt, organic materials and ground
water, any of which may contribute to efflorescence and may be deleterious
to mortar performance. In addition, it is advisable to store sand and other
aggregates under a protective cover. This will avoid saturation and freezing
in cold weather.

Flashing. Flashing materials should be stored in places where they will not
be punctured or damaged. Plastic and asphalt coated flashing materials
should not be stored in areas exposed to sunlight. Ultraviolet rays from the
sun break down these materials, causing them to become brittle with time.
Plastic flashing exposed to the weather at the site for months before
installation should not be used. During installation, flashing must be
pliable so that no cracks occur at corners or bends.

EVERYTHING is to be off the ground and covered....Atleast according to the
experts of which I'm not ..From what I've seen over the last 20 years of
being on jobsites , that's how the pro's do it as well ...Cite a website
that says different....

mm December 28th 09 05:19 AM

"ransley" wrote in message
[...]

Next time, please leave a blank space before and after a url. That
way it will be noticable -- I didn't see it either -- it will show up
as a link in people's newsreaders, it will be a different color, and
it will be clickable, like this

Notes.... http://www.gobrick.com/BIA/technotes/t21c.htm

But while you say "Try READING the link" you should try reading his
post. It's all of 13 words and it asks about why unassembled bricks
would deteriorate differerntly from assembeld bricks. Your link
doesn't address that.

[email protected] December 28th 09 06:22 AM

Where to store left over bricks

"ransley" wrote in message
[...]

Assembled brick walls are protected from water entry at the top, and
open to drain at the bottom - so do not saturate with water - which
then freezes.

[email protected] December 28th 09 06:24 AM

Where to store left over bricks

"ransley" wrote in message
[...]

The reference to Efflorescence perhaps?
Peculiar to masonry products

benick[_2_] December 28th 09 07:11 AM

"ransley" wrote in message
[...]

True it doesn't go into *why* just that you shouldn't store them outside on
the ground uncovered which was the point of the thread....Same for an
unfinished wall if you read down the page on the link..
Protection of Walls

Rain. Masonry walls exposed to weather and unprotected during construction
can become so saturated with water that they may require weeks, or even
months (depending upon climatic conditions), to dry out. This prolonged
saturation may cause many of the slightly soluble salts to go into solution,
thus raising the possibility of efflorescence. Such conditions may also
contribute to the contamination of the masonry with soluble salts from
elsewhere in the construction (concrete, concrete block, plaster, trim,
etc.).

During construction, all walls should be kept dry by covering the top of the
wall with a strong, water-resistant membrane at the end of each day or
shutdown period. The covering should overhang the wall by at least 24 in.
(610 mm) on each side, and should be secured against wind. The covering
should remain in place until the top of the cavity wall is completed or
protected by adjacent materials.

Freezing. Leaky walls can sometimes be attributed to the freezing of mortar
before it has set, or the lack of protection of materials and walls during
cold weather construction. Therefore, when building in cold weather, all
materials and walls should be properly protected against freezing. This
involves the following items: storing of materials, preparation of mortar,
heating of masonry units, laying precautions, and protection of work.
Technical Notes 1 Series, "Cold Weather Masonry Construction," contains
recommendations for construction and protection of masonry during freezing
weather. ACI-ASCE 530.1 Specifications for Masonry Structures also has
requirements for cold weather construction..

After the wall is done and a sealent applied it is fine ?? I was told by the
mason who topped off my chimney to seal it....Perhaps somebody else will
chime in as to why....Thanks for the tip on links...

http://www.gobrick.com/BIA/technotes/t21c.htm

Just practicing...LOL..

dadiOH[_3_] December 28th 09 02:16 PM

wrote:

What process, pray tell, deteriorates unassembled bricks as opposed
to assembled brick walls?

Not that I'm an expert but a quick Bing search got this...HTH...

PROTECTION

Storage of Materials

The manner in which materials are stored at the construction site
may have an influence on their future performance. Materials should
be stored to avoid wetting by rain or snow, and also avoid
contamination by salts or other matter which may contribute to
efflorescence and staining.

Not all materials are equal. No mention of bricks, I can't assume
that your cite has the slightest bearing on storing bricks.

The "gobrick" in the URL (http://www.gobrick.com/BIA/technotes/t21c.htm)
didn't give you a clue?

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

AZ Nomad[_2_] December 28th 09 02:28 PM

wrote:

What process, pray tell, deteriorates unassembled bricks as opposed
to assembled brick walls?

Not that I'm an expert but a quick Bing search got this...HTH...

PROTECTION

Storage of Materials

The manner in which materials are stored at the construction site
may have an influence on their future performance. Materials should
be stored to avoid wetting by rain or snow, and also avoid
contamination by salts or other matter which may contribute to
efflorescence and staining.

Not all materials are equal. No mention of bricks, I can't assume
that your cite has the slightest bearing on storing bricks.

The "gobrick" in the URL (http://www.gobrick.com/BIA/technotes/t21c.htm)
didn't give you a clue?

I didn't bother with the usl. I had made the silly assumption that
the poster had quoted relevent material.

DerbyDad03 December 28th 09 07:39 PM

On Dec 27, 7:03*pm, TD wrote:
"ransley" wrote in message
.
[...]

The frenchies in quebec cause quite a stir.

- harvested from Usenet- Hide quoted text -

"The frenchies in quebec cause quite a stir. "

OK, since I've scored a hat-trick here, I'll tell my story:

1 - My grandfather was French - Canadian
2 - My grandfather was a mason
3 - My grandfather built entire houses from used brick.

My grandfather was a mason in Massachusetts where he helped build the
huge brick paper factories in Holyoke.

Back in those days, left over bricks and bricks from demolitions were
either free or pennies per hundred.

2 of the houses that he lived in were built from brick that he scarfed
up from construction and/or demolition sites.

percentjuice January 10th 19 06:14 PM

replying to AZ Nomad, percentjuice wrote:
https://youtu.be/I6Nd08iKW5o

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ks-414901-.htm

micky January 10th 19 06:27 PM

Where to store left over bricks

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 10 Jan 2019 17:14:06 GMT, percentjuice
m wrote:

replying to AZ Nomad, percentjuice wrote:
https://youtu.be/I6Nd08iKW5o

I haven't looked at this, but my grandparents had a pile of what I guess
were leftover bricks that was 25 feet wide and from zero to 6 feet high.
I used to climb on them when I was 6 years old and I think they were
still there when I was 50.

Also, the new owners found in the basement a target range. Half of the
basement was full height and half just a crawl space, with the targets
at the far end of that. I don't think my grand parents had a gun, or
knew about the target range, so it was the peopele who owned it before
they did, before 1950.
--
Micky

https://youtu.be/CDjT1fhrs-A

rbowman January 11th 19 05:07 AM

On 01/10/2019 10:27 AM, micky wrote:
I haven't looked at this, but my grandparents had a pile of what I guess
were leftover bricks that was 25 feet wide and from zero to 6 feet high.
I used to climb on them when I was 6 years old and I think they were
still there when I was 50.

In some places they would have disappeared. Distressed bricks are worth
good money in the yuppie market.