Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Drilling a Hole in Hardieplank

What drill bit do I use to drill a small hole in Hardieplank? A masonry bit does
not work.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"mcp6453" wrote in message
What drill bit do I use to drill a small hole in Hardieplank? A masonry
bit does not work.

I used, abused and ruined a couple of regular HS steel bits making a few
new nailing holes. They work but you will only get a few holes each.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/19/2009 08:58, mcp6453 wrote:
What drill bit do I use to drill a small hole in Hardieplank? A masonry
bit does not work.

Sure they do.

Maybe you might get a better reply if you describe why the masonry bit
doesn't work for you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

George wrote:
On 12/19/2009 08:58, mcp6453 wrote:
What drill bit do I use to drill a small hole in Hardieplank? A masonry
bit does not work.

Sure they do.

Maybe you might get a better reply if you describe why the masonry bit
doesn't work for you.

I tried to drill a hole in the siding to mount a flag pole holder. Since the
siding is cement board, it seemed to me that a masonry bit would be a good way
to drill the hole. Therefore, I grabbed a 1/8" masonry bit, inserted it into the
chuck of my trusty drill, and commenced to try to drill the hole. Unfortunately,
even though the bit was turning and was in full contact with the siding, the
hole did not appear. Even though I pushed harder, the bit did not drill a hole
in the siding.

While masonry bits may work for every other person who uses one to drill a hole
in Hardieplank, in this particular case, even though I followed normal operating
procedure for drilling a hole, the procedure did not result in a hole. The drill
was a standard rotary drill, not a hammer drill. The masonry bit was not carbide
tipped.

Does that help?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/19/2009 12:37, mcp6453 wrote:
George wrote:
[...]

Was this bit some big box "special deal"? Never saw a masonry bit that
didn't have a carbide insert. But even a good quality twist drill will
make a hole in hardieplank.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 19, 11:37*am, mcp6453 wrote:
George wrote:
[...]

Are you sure the drill was rotating in the cutting direction?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Masonry bits work fine, can't imagine the difficulty. Hole saws
and twist bits work, but will dull quickly. Carbide burr in a
Rotozip type tool work well.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"mcp6453" wrote in message
What drill bit do I use to drill a small hole in Hardieplank? A
masonry bit does not work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Are you sure the drill was rotating in the cutting direction?

+++++++++

LOL....my first thought.

Give they guy a break fellas. I burnt up two bits because my tapcon masonry
was already fried and I need the job done before it rained.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 12:04:06 -0800 (PST), "hr(bob) "
wrote:

Are you sure the drill was rotating in the cutting direction?

My thoughts exactly :-/ Don't ask me how I know! BTDT
Posted to alt.home.repair
KC KC is offline

On Dec 19, 2:41*pm, "DanG" wrote:

Carbide burr in a Rotozip type tool works well.

As does a diamond burr in a Dremel. Also works well for drilling
holes in ceramic tile. And the diamond drill set at HF is cheap and
good.

KC
Posted to alt.home.repair

mcp6453 wrote:
George wrote:
[...]

If the drill is turning the right direction, then the bit is dull/shot.
Without being carbide tipped, they don't last long, especially if it's
used without water to keep it cool and/or run at high speed and
overheated it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

news
wrote:

Are you sure the drill was rotating in the cutting direction?

My thoughts exactly :-/ Don't ask me how I know! BTDT

There was another guy, in another group, that asked: How do I drill a square
hole?

And he was serious.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 20 Dec 2009 14:43:26 -0600, "Master Betty"
wrote:

There was another guy, in another group, that asked: How do I drill a square
hole?

And he was serious.

Why not?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iz3pDMP7IsE&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Acq7Vuy5wNc

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

There was another guy, in another group, that asked: How do I drill a
square
hole?

And he was serious.

Why not?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iz3pDMP7IsE&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Acq7Vuy5wNc

Yeah...I've heard of such a thing. Not readily available. In this case a
metal punch was more appropriate.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I found that in order to drill pilot holes in fiber cement lap siding for hand nailing I found that Harbor Freight (not typically a fan of HF) has a wall with throw away titanium bit packages that each contain a number of same size bits. Example: I found with my galvanized ring shank siding nails, a 3/32" bit works best. Do not go all the way into the stud. Let the nail or screw do that. They last as long as better quality bits - I could buy a package of 7 bits for $1.99. I swear they last as long as bits costing three or four times as much. After 10 to 15 holes each bit is worn out. Throw it away and put in a fresh cheap bit! Do not over think this. Just throw the bit away! I have experimented with all kinds of methods, but I feel so much more productive . The nails go right in and then tap to flush tight, do not embed the nail.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...nk-413458-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

SteveAustin wrote

I found that in order to drill pilot holes in fiber cement lap siding for
hand nailing I found that Harbor Freight (not typically a fan of HF) has a
wall with throw away titanium bit packages that each contain a number of
same size bits. Example: I found with my galvanized ring shank siding
nails, a 3/32" bit works best. Do not go all the way into the stud. Let
the nail or screw do that. They last as long as better quality bits - I
could buy a package of 7 bits for $1.99. I swear they last as long as bits
costing three or four times as much. After 10 to 15 holes each bit is worn
out. Throw it away and put in a fresh cheap bit! Do not over think this.
Just throw the bit away! I have experimented with all kinds of methods,
but I feel so much more productive . The nails go right in and then tap to
flush tight, do not embed the nail.

Think he might well have worked it out for himself or given up after 11
years, stupid.

--
For full context, visit
https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...nk-413458-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 14 Apr 2021 11:47:42 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

What he needs to work out is what a trolling piece of senile **** you are!

--
Website (from 2007) dedicated to the 86-year-old trolling senile
cretin from Oz: