Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Taking apart a Mini-Maglite

On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 16:34:01 -0600, Jim Yanik
wrote:

Metspitzer wrote in
:

On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 13:47:53 -0600, zxcvbob
wrote:

zxcvbob wrote:
Patrick Cleburne wrote:
zxcvbob wrote:
I just found the 3AA MiniMaglite that I thought I left in a motel
room over a year ago. (it was under the car seat) Two of the
batteries leaked -- the ones closest to the lamp. The corrosion
doesn't look bad. The bottom battery just dropped out easily, and
I was able to knock the middle battery out by hitting the tailcap
with a deadblow hammer, but the last one won't budge. I don't see
any way to take it apart from the lamp end. Any ideas?

I wonder if some penetrating oil would help?

Bob

The light is trashed. Saw it apart if you have to to identify the
brand of batteries. Then email a picture of the leaking batteries
along with a polite note to the mfr.

They'll buy you a new one-- though may require sending the mess to
them first...

That's a good idea. They are Duracells, dated "MAR 2013" (I got 2
of them out, and the third one won't budge.) It's a $20-something
flashlight.

Bob

I called Duracell. After waiting on hold for a half hour and
listening to the worst music in the world and being told repeatedly
"your call is very important to us...", they picked up just as I was
about to hang up. Took my information over the phone and will be
sending me a check for $20 (almost enough to replace the flashlight)
and some coupons. They don't want me to send it back -- so I may
still try to drill the swollen battery out but it's *awfully* deep in
there, and I'll bet the switch doesn't work anymore and it's
integrated with the LED assembly.

Bob

Call Maglite and get a two for one deal.

why should Maglite repair or replace a product of theirs damaged by a
battery made by someone else? I'd refer the customer to the battery maker.

Because they are sold with Duracell batteries.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 15:54:38 -0600, zxcvbob wrote:

Jim wrote:
"zxcvbob" wrote in message
I just found the 3AA MiniMaglite that I thought I left in a motel room over
a year ago. (it was under the car seat) Two of the batteries leaked --
the ones closest to the lamp. The corrosion doesn't look bad. The bottom
battery just dropped out easily, and I was able to knock the middle battery
out by hitting the tailcap with a deadblow hammer, but the last one won't
budge. I don't see any way to take it apart from the lamp end. Any ideas?

I wonder if some penetrating oil would help?

Bob

The lamp end unscrews Bob

Are you sure about that? I unscrewed the reflector, but don't see
any way to remove the LED assembly. (I neglected to mention it's an
LED model, not incandescent, can't believe I left that out)

Thanks,
Bob

Factory removable only for the LED.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 30, 12:33*am, "benick" wrote:
"in2dadark" wrote in message

On Nov 29, 4:26 pm, zxcvbob wrote:

I just found the 3AA MiniMaglite that I thought I left in a motel
room over a year ago. (it was under the car seat) Two of the
batteries leaked -- the ones closest to the lamp. The corrosion
doesn't look bad. The bottom battery just dropped out easily, and I
was able to knock the middle battery out by hitting the tailcap with
a deadblow hammer, but the last one won't budge. I don't see any
way to take it apart from the lamp end. Any ideas?

I wonder if some penetrating oil would help?

Bob

jee bob. I really thought, after reading the responses to my cabinets
post they were going to rip you and tell you to get a life and a new
flashlight. Very odd group here. Apparently field stripping a flash
light is high on their list of 'need to discuss' issues. My next
thread will be titled 'how do I repair (not replace) *a leaky flapper
valve on my toilet'..There should be high interest in that considering
the IQ *and *temperment here.

You asked a STUPID question , through Google Groups no less , about cabinet
prices in your area when there is no way in hell anybody on here could
possibly know that...Jesh , post the phone numbers to HD , Lowes and the
mom&pop in your area and I'll call them and find out for you....Mommy dress
you in the morning too ??? *LOL....Assclown...I'm begining to see why others
filter out the Google Idiots...

What happened to 'there is no stupid question'. I guess yours is the
stupid answer. I was asking what others experiences were. Where
exactly in my post (moron) did I ask what the prices were in my area?
If someone purchased it in their area then it should be a comparable
differance here percentage wise. I think you're just ****ed off about
something in the real world and need to come on line and act like what
you think a 'man' should act like.

Who knew google groups had such a stigma. I wonder what else I use
could get me flammed or run off of the interstate for that matter.
This guy must be one of those idiots that sees a decal for a sports
team he doesn't like on a car and cuts them off in traffic for it.
Get some help..?? nnnnK?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"in2dadark" wrote in message

[...]

Nah , don't need help...I know how to kill file just fine....Bye , bye....

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to hr(bob) hofmann, J wrote:
I know this is an old post, but maybe it will help somebody. Energizer Max, if
it is their batteries in the flashlight will replace the flashlight IF you
send it to them with all the pertinent info for yourself & the light. You have
to contact them first & tell them about it & they will want info on batteries
& when bought to make sure they are not out of date.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...te-409105-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

In J m writes:

replying to hr(bob) hofmann, J wrote:
I know this is an old post, but maybe it will help somebody. Energizer Max, if
it is their batteries in the flashlight will replace the flashlight IF you
send it to them with all the pertinent info for yourself & the light. You have
to contact them first & tell them about it & they will want info on batteries
& when bought to make sure they are not out of date.

Ditto, more or less, with Duracell [a].

I sent them a letter and they sent me back
either a $10 or so dollar pre-paid Visa card
or possibly a "Duracell bucks" credit slip,
which I could use on any of their products
at any store.

(Given the way Duracell licenses their name
tolots and lots of products, some of which
I actually use, either one of those - I forget
which it was - worked ok).

[a] I've had Maglite brand flashlights in their
official packages, some of which used Energizer,
some Duracell.

Probably all manufactured, these days, in the same
garage in Vietnam.

--

for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...te-409105-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to zxcvbob, RYAN wrote:
I know this is a REALY old post, but wanted to share the solution for others
that may search this.
1. Do what ever you need to do to remove the batteries.
2. Unscrew the lens cowl from over the LED
3. using a small screwdriver or pick, gradually pry the outer plastic piece
away from the center LED module and remove the plastic piece.
4. The LED module will slide out the bottom where you removed the batteries
from.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...te-409105-.htm