Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Noisy door knob

Let's just say I have disturbed sleep on many nights. When I get up
for a while to get sleepy again, I almost always awaken my wife who is
a light sleeper because our cheap bedroom door knob makes noise when I
turn it due to the sloppy fit of the parts. All the big box store
knobs make the same noise. I would be willing to pay more for a knob
that is of better quality and quiet when turned. Can anyone recommend
quality door knobs that I could check out and buy online if they are
better made? Thanks.

Manny
Posted to alt.home.repair

"trg-s338" wrote in message
Let's just say I have disturbed sleep on many nights. When I get up
for a while to get sleepy again, I almost always awaken my wife who is
a light sleeper because our cheap bedroom door knob makes noise when I
turn it due to the sloppy fit of the parts. All the big box store
knobs make the same noise. I would be willing to pay more for a knob
that is of better quality and quiet when turned. Can anyone recommend
quality door knobs that I could check out and buy online if they are
better made? Thanks.

Yes. Go to a locksmith and there you can purchase/order "commercial grade"
locksets.

These are the locksets you will see on the doors of commercial buildings,
schools, government buildings, etc. These doors get very heavy use, so long
lasting quality locksets are needed.

Schlage for example is a company, which in addition to manufacturing cheap
consumer locksets, also manufactures high quality "commercial grade"
locksets. And "commercial grade" is ONLY available at locksmiths.

The Schlage "commercial grade" lockset on my front door cost about $200.00
eight years ago for example. Not cheap, but these will last forever.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Some bedroom door knobs use a mortise lock, with square
shaft knobs. Others use a cylindrical knob set which fits in
a 2 1/8 cross bore. Generally, what the other fellow said. A
commercial grade privacy set would be much quieter. Schlage,
Dexter, Arrow, and a couple of the cheaper chinese made PLS,
US Lock. All much better fit than the hardware store
versions.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"trg-s338" wrote in message
Let's just say I have disturbed sleep on many nights. When
I get up
for a while to get sleepy again, I almost always awaken my
wife who is
a light sleeper because our cheap bedroom door knob makes
noise when I
turn it due to the sloppy fit of the parts. All the big box
store
knobs make the same noise. I would be willing to pay more
for a knob
that is of better quality and quiet when turned. Can anyone
recommend
quality door knobs that I could check out and buy online if
they are
better made? Thanks.

Manny

Posted to alt.home.repair

trg-s338 wrote:
Let's just say I have disturbed sleep on many nights. When I get up
for a while to get sleepy again, I almost always awaken my wife who is
a light sleeper because our cheap bedroom door knob makes noise when I
turn it due to the sloppy fit of the parts. All the big box store
knobs make the same noise. I would be willing to pay more for a knob
that is of better quality and quiet when turned. Can anyone recommend
quality door knobs that I could check out and buy online if they are
better made? Thanks.

Manny

Ever thought of using chloroform? *snicker*

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 14, 10:04*am, "Bill" wrote:
"trg-s338" *wrote in message
Let's just say I have disturbed sleep on many nights. *When I get up
for a while to get sleepy again, I almost always awaken my wife who is
a light sleeper because our cheap bedroom door knob makes noise when I
turn it due to the sloppy fit of the parts. *All the big box store
knobs make the same noise. *I would be willing to pay more for a knob
that is of better quality and quiet when turned. *Can anyone recommend
quality door knobs that I could check out and buy online if they are
better *made? *Thanks.

Suggestion: Use Weiser door locks, unless someone gives you a door
that has a door handle already installed.
Weiser work fine. Virtually noiseless, noise never been an issue. Our
house (and the first house we built in 1960) is full of them; very
reliable product.

Also sticking mainly with one type simplifies the occasional spare
parts and maintenance. Many Weiser parts are interchangeable (So if
scrapping a lock keep some of the parts).

Only time used what IIRC was a Schlage (or cheap imitation?) was to
replace a similar lock on relatives garage door. The Weiser drillings
were different!

BTW a safety tip. For those locks (e.g. bathroom or child's bedroom)
which have the capability to be opened by inserting a straight pin
etc. from outside, keep a short piece of stiff coat hanger wire on top
of the door trim above door.
In an emergency, such as grandfather keeling over in the bathroom with
a heart attack, or a child trapped in a room during a fire, that piece
of wire could be live-saver. If it's not an emergency the wire stays
where it is and a polite knock on the door with "May I come in?" are
appropriate. But everyone in the house knows the wire is there 'If an
emergency'.

Also BTW haven't heard of it for years; maybe cos our crowd is 'all
growed up'. But local Fire Depts, at one time encouraged the use of a
round red symbol facing outward on the window of any bedroom with a
child/children in it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bill wrote:
"trg-s338" wrote in message
[...]

Hmmm,
Reading the OP, I went around house trying knobs, no noise. Schlage.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 09:28:28 -0700, Tony Hwang wrote:

Hmmm,
Reading the OP, I went around house trying knobs, no noise. Schlage.

No noise here, either.

Kwikset and some made in Australia (of all places) with white porcelain
handles.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 14, 12:13*pm, Kuskokwim wrote:
On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 09:28:28 -0700, Tony Hwang wrote:
Hmmm,
Reading the OP, I went around house trying knobs, no noise. Schlage.

No noise here, either.

Kwikset and some made in Australia (of all places) with white porcelain
handles.

The doorknobs don't make noise, the mechanism that is operated by the
dooorknob is what makes the noise. Have you tried spraying WD-40 into
the lockset and the striker plate?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 14, 10:08*am, terry wrote:

....snip...

... local Fire Depts, at one time encouraged the use of a round
red symbol facing outward on the window of any bedroom with a child/
children in it.

My local volunteer fire dept used to give out "Child Finder" stickers
for windows, but they stopped many years ago.

It seems that so many people moved or the kids moved out/grew up or
whatever that the odds of a child actually being in the room with the
sticker were getting smaller and smaller. People put the stickers up
when they had kids, but never removed them when they were no longer
needed. The fireman were entering homes based on the stickers instead
of fighting the fire the way the fire was telling them to. Now I guess
they follow standard procedures unless they are told or have good
reason to believe that a certain room contains kids.

Perhaps a fire fighting member of this group could verify/debunk that
assumption.
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Nov 14, 10:08 am, terry wrote:

...snip...

[...]

Not a fire fighter, but I remember reading press releases that agree
with your scenario. Seems to me that putting the year on the sticker
would solve most of the problem. Any sticker over 3-4 years old could be
ignored. Probably a moot point, though, since they have to clear the
entire building anyway, and it is very seldom a situation where they can
only pick one room to enter.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Give me all my demands, or the lock gets WD-40!

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Tony" wrote in message

The doorknobs don't make noise, the mechanism that is
operated by the
dooorknob is what makes the noise. Have you tried spraying
WD-40 into
the lockset and the striker plate?

Please no WD-40! Use oil instead.

Posted to alt.home.repair

After twenty years of locksmithing in western NY, I use
assortment of lock lubes. For car door and trunk locks, I do
use 10w30. If car door locks aren't lubricated regularly,
they sieze up, and become a worthless lump of zinc.

Different lubes for other reasons. Including silicone,
graphite, and the old WD.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message

Please no WD-40! Use oil instead.

Oil is not good for locks as it attracts dust and grit.
WD-40 is not
perfect, but it is better for flushing out locks than
heavier oil.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 14, 8:08*pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
On Nov 14, 12:13*pm, Kuskokwim wrote:

On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 09:28:28 -0700, Tony Hwang wrote:
Hmmm,
Reading the OP, I went around house trying knobs, no noise. Schlage.

No noise here, either.

Kwikset and some made in Australia (of all places) with white porcelain
handles.

The doorknobs don't make noise, the mechanism that is operated by the
dooorknob is what makes the noise. Have you tried spraying WD-40 into
the lockset and the striker plate?

The moment I grab the handle, the slop makes a racket even before I
turn the knob. Thanks all for the good tip: commercial grade door
knobs. I'll look into that, sounds like the solution. Although
probably futile, I'll squirt WD-40 into it first. Thanks again.
Posted to alt.home.repair

This 2009 thread still pops up first in a google search for how to silence noisy doorknob, but all the answers suck. The internet has failed you.

If you still have a loud doorknob...after these 9 years...just wrap a rubber band tightly around the cylinder, stretching it up into the crack between the knob and door, and keep winding until you run out of band. Should be hidden too. Use another one on the other side as well, if necessary.

I hope your wifes sleep hasnt suffered too much over the past decade!

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to trg-s338, HarryJue wrote:
This 2009 thread still pops up first in a google search for how to silence
noisy doorknob, but all the answers suck. The internet has failed you.

If you still have a loud doorknob...after these 9 years...just wrap a rubber
band tightly around the cylinder, stretching it up into the crack between the
knob and door, and keep winding until you run out of band. Should be hidden
too. Use another one on the other side as well, if necessary.

I hope your wifes sleep hasnt suffered too much over the past decade!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ob-406256-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair
Rao Rao is offline

replying to areid5, Rao wrote:
Thanks for the tip!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ob-406256-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to trg-s338, EJ wrote:
I have a great solution as I have been trying to remedy this situation for
years.
Use Gorilla tape or duct tape to tape the striker into door
because it is the movement between the door knob and striker (not striker
plate on the door jam), that is the cause of the noise.

This assume you dont need the striker to latch to keep the door closed it
is in the closet door position - which we dont.

I also added felt bumpers between the door and the door jam (wood to wood
contact) to ensure this is silent as well. These are often used for kitchen
cabinet doors.

I have just accomplished the silent interior door for the cost of gorilla tape
and felt or rubber bumpers (less then $10).

Good luck!!!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ob-406256-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to areid5, Jessica wrote:
Im trying to understand what your directions here are but having trouble
picturing it. Are you suggesting just holding the striker inside or is this to
muffle it?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ob-406256-.htm

Door knob CJC UK diy 3 November 22nd 06 02:50 PM
Door knob set Lawrie UK diy 3 March 28th 06 02:20 AM
Door knob problem Rich Greenberg Home Repair 3 December 6th 05 03:01 AM
Door knob problem RicodJour Home Repair 0 December 4th 05 05:59 PM
Broken door knob steve cannon Home Repair 1 January 12th 05 12:46 AM