Posted to alt.home.repair

Default NEC sucks

What is the dumbest thing you find wrong with the NEC?

My pet peeve is the lack of code mandating 3 or 4 way light switches
when the room can be entered at opposite ends. I've been here for 5
years and I still instinctively reach for light switches that aren't
there. There ought-a be a law.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony wrote:
What is the dumbest thing you find wrong with the NEC?

My pet peeve is the lack of code mandating 3 or 4 way light switches
when the room can be entered at opposite ends. I've been here for 5
years and I still instinctively reach for light switches that aren't
there. There ought-a be a law.

If you want it in your house, do it. Who needs you mandating that everyone
should have what you want?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony wrote:
What is the dumbest thing you find wrong with the NEC?

My pet peeve is the lack of code mandating 3 or 4 way light switches
when the room can be entered at opposite ends. I've been here for 5
years and I still instinctively reach for light switches that aren't
there. There ought-a be a law.

You can always get a wireless light switch.

http://www.adhocelectronics.com/Wireless-Light-Switches

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony" wrote in message
What is the dumbest thing you find wrong with the NEC?

My pet peeve is the lack of code mandating 3 or 4 way light switches when
the room can be entered at opposite ends. I've been here for 5 years and
I still instinctively reach for light switches that aren't there. There
ought-a be a law.

The NEC is all about safety. Someone dies from an electrical fire or is
electrocuted, then they come up with ways to prevent these things from
happening again in the future.

Since no one has died from walking to the other end of the hall to flip a
switch, there is no urgent need to have any rules for that.

My pet peeve is no outlets in hallways. Well you need to vacuum the hallway
don't you?

Anyway you can suggest new rules for the NEC here...
http://forums.mikeholt.com/forumdisplay.php?f=72

Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:
Tony wrote:
What is the dumbest thing you find wrong with the NEC?

My pet peeve is the lack of code mandating 3 or 4 way light switches
when the room can be entered at opposite ends. I've been here for 5
years and I still instinctively reach for light switches that aren't
there. There ought-a be a law.

You can always get a wireless light switch.

http://www.adhocelectronics.com/Wireless-Light-Switches

TDD

Reel nice, but a little pricey!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bill wrote:
"Tony" wrote in message
What is the dumbest thing you find wrong with the NEC?

My pet peeve is the lack of code mandating 3 or 4 way light switches when
the room can be entered at opposite ends. I've been here for 5 years and
I still instinctively reach for light switches that aren't there. There
ought-a be a law.

The NEC is all about safety. Someone dies from an electrical fire or is
electrocuted, then they come up with ways to prevent these things from
happening again in the future.

Since no one has died from walking to the other end of the hall to flip a
switch, there is no urgent need to have any rules for that.

My pet peeve is no outlets in hallways. Well you need to vacuum the hallway
don't you?

Anyway you can suggest new rules for the NEC here...
http://forums.mikeholt.com/forumdisplay.php?f=72

using your line of thinking, then why do they mandate that a room have a
switched fixture or outlet?

And i'll bet the code really does require the three (and four) way
switches at the different doorways of a room. If you interpret it that
way. I believe it says something about being able to turn on a light
when you enter a room.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob F wrote:
Tony wrote:
What is the dumbest thing you find wrong with the NEC?

My pet peeve is the lack of code mandating 3 or 4 way light switches
when the room can be entered at opposite ends. I've been here for 5
years and I still instinctively reach for light switches that aren't
there. There ought-a be a law.

If you want it in your house, do it. Who needs you mandating that everyone
should have what you want?

Because I an the center of the universe and everything should be
approved by me. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bill wrote:
"Tony" wrote in message
What is the dumbest thing you find wrong with the NEC?

My pet peeve is the lack of code mandating 3 or 4 way light switches when
the room can be entered at opposite ends. I've been here for 5 years and
I still instinctively reach for light switches that aren't there. There
ought-a be a law.

The NEC is all about safety. Someone dies from an electrical fire or is
electrocuted, then they come up with ways to prevent these things from
happening again in the future.

Since no one has died from walking to the other end of the hall to flip a
switch, there is no urgent need to have any rules for that.

I'll bet at least one person has tripped in the dark and died while
going for the light switch at the other side of the room.

My pet peeve is no outlets in hallways. Well you need to vacuum the hallway
don't you?

LOL! I didn't know that (I'm not an electrician) but I always find it
awkward when vacuuming in the hallway. At first I always looked for an
outlet there.

Anyway you can suggest new rules for the NEC here...
http://forums.mikeholt.com/forumdisplay.php?f=72

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony" wrote in message
Bill wrote:
"Tony" wrote in message
[...]

The NEC requires an outlet in any hallway 10 feet or longer

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony wrote:
What is the dumbest thing you find wrong with the NEC?

My pet peeve is the lack of code mandating 3 or 4 way light switches
when the room can be entered at opposite ends. I've been here for 5
years and I still instinctively reach for light switches that aren't
there. There ought-a be a law.

Hi,
Main purpose of NEC is for the safety, not some one's convenience.
When you build the house, customize to your liking. That's what I do.
I never lived in a preowned house.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 01:35:58 -0600, The Daring Dufas wrote:
My pet peeve is the lack of code mandating 3 or 4 way light switches
when the room can be entered at opposite ends. I've been here for 5
years and I still instinctively reach for light switches that aren't
there. There ought-a be a law.

You can always get a wireless light switch.

Or wear a mining helmet at all times. :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

LouB wrote in :

The Daring Dufas wrote:
Tony wrote:
What is the dumbest thing you find wrong with the NEC?

My pet peeve is the lack of code mandating 3 or 4 way light switches
when the room can be entered at opposite ends. I've been here for 5
years and I still instinctively reach for light switches that aren't
there. There ought-a be a law.

You can always get a wireless light switch.

http://www.adhocelectronics.com/Wireless-Light-Switches

TDD

Interesting

At a hundred and fifty bucks a pop? Less interesting?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 14, 11:42*am, wrote:
On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 07:59:53 -0600, Steve Barker

wrote:
And i'll bet the code really does require the three (and four) way
switches at the different doorways of a room. *If you interpret it that
way. *I believe it says something about being able to turn on a light
when you enter a room.

The only place I can think of that requires 3 and 4 way switches is
stairways. *You need a switch at any place you can enter the stair
well. Generally one at the top and one at the bottom but if there is a
landing with an entrance in the middle you need a switch there too.

210.70(A)(2)(c)Where one or more lighting outlet(s) are installed for
interior stairways, there shall be a wall switch at each floor level,
and landing level that includes an entryway, to control the lighting
outlet(s) where the stairway between floor levels has six risers or
more. *

As for rooms, you only need a wall mounted switch ... somewhere. It
doesn't even need to be in the room with the light.

210.70(A)(1) Habitable Rooms. At least one wall switch–controlled
lighting outlet shall be installed in every habitable room and
bathroom.
Exception No. 1: *In other than kitchens and bathrooms, one or more
receptacles controlled by a wall switch shall be permitted in lieu of
lighting outlets.

Note, it says the "outlet" needs to be in the room but it is silent on
where the switch is.

My in-laws house is built around the den. The den has two doors from
the living room and doors to three bedrooms and each has a 3 or 4 way
switch that controls the den light. At the doors from the living room
the switches are in the living room. There is also a door going to a .
5 bath and it has a switch for the den light there too, never figured
that one out.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

on 11/14/2009 8:13 AM (ET) Bill wrote the following:
"Tony" wrote in message

What is the dumbest thing you find wrong with the NEC?

My pet peeve is the lack of code mandating 3 or 4 way light switches when
the room can be entered at opposite ends. I've been here for 5 years and
I still instinctively reach for light switches that aren't there. There
ought-a be a law.

The NEC is all about safety. Someone dies from an electrical fire or is
electrocuted, then they come up with ways to prevent these things from
happening again in the future.

Since no one has died from walking to the other end of the hall to flip a
switch, there is no urgent need to have any rules for that.

My pet peeve is no outlets in hallways. Well you need to vacuum the hallway
don't you?

That's the easiest one to fix. Just install an outlet in the hallway
adjacent to one in the adjoining bedroom and tap off that one.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony" *wrote in message

[...]

My entrance hall didnt have an outlet so I put one in the closet in
the hallway where the vacuum is stored. very convenient since that
hallway requires the most cleaning.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:
LouB wrote in :

The Daring Dufas wrote:
Tony wrote:
What is the dumbest thing you find wrong with the NEC?

My pet peeve is the lack of code mandating 3 or 4 way light switches
when the room can be entered at opposite ends. I've been here for 5
years and I still instinctively reach for light switches that aren't
there. There ought-a be a law.
You can always get a wireless light switch.

http://www.adhocelectronics.com/Wireless-Light-Switches

TDD

Interesting

At a hundred and fifty bucks a pop? Less interesting?

There are cheaper ones from other manufacturers.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony wrote:
What is the dumbest thing you find wrong with the NEC?

My pet peeve is the lack of code mandating 3 or 4 way light switches
when the room can be entered at opposite ends. I've been here for 5
years and I still instinctively reach for light switches that aren't
there. There ought-a be a law.

I wonder if there's a mandate for ANY light to have a switch.

I remember reading about a bowling alley who, for some reason, wanted to
turn off the lights. They couldn't find the switch(es)!

In the seven years of the bowling alley's existence, the lights had never
been turned off and no one remembered where the switches were. Or if there
even were any.

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
Tony wrote:
What is the dumbest thing you find wrong with the NEC?

My pet peeve is the lack of code mandating 3 or 4 way light switches
when the room can be entered at opposite ends. I've been here for 5
years and I still instinctively reach for light switches that aren't
there. There ought-a be a law.

I wonder if there's a mandate for ANY light to have a switch.

I remember reading about a bowling alley who, for some reason, wanted to
turn off the lights. They couldn't find the switch(es)!

In the seven years of the bowling alley's existence, the lights had never
been turned off and no one remembered where the switches were. Or if there
even were any.

I've seen a few pole barns done on the cheap that way, using the
breakers as switches. Not recommended, for obvious reasons.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 19:22:49 -0500, in alt.home.repair, aemeijers
wrote:

HeyBub wrote:
Tony wrote:
What is the dumbest thing you find wrong with the NEC?

My pet peeve is the lack of code mandating 3 or 4 way light switches
when the room can be entered at opposite ends. I've been here for 5
years and I still instinctively reach for light switches that aren't
there. There ought-a be a law.

I wonder if there's a mandate for ANY light to have a switch.

I remember reading about a bowling alley who, for some reason, wanted to
turn off the lights. They couldn't find the switch(es)!

In the seven years of the bowling alley's existence, the lights had never
been turned off and no one remembered where the switches were. Or if there
even were any.

I've seen a few pole barns done on the cheap that way, using the
breakers as switches. Not recommended, for obvious reasons.

Switch-rated breakers? They must exist.

In my youth, many centuries ago, I worked at a gas station where all of the
exterior lighting was breaker switched. Being too young to know better I
never thought anything of it, but I didn't much like the two breakers that
would periodically fall out of the breaker panel when you switched them.

--
Due to Usenet spam, emailed replies must pass an intelligence test: if
you want me to read your reply, be sure to include this line of text in

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

I've seen a few pole barns done on the cheap that way, using the
breakers as switches. Not recommended, for obvious reasons.

Switch-rated breakers? They must exist.

Yes, they are common in industrial and commercial applications.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
wrote in message
I've seen a few pole barns done on the cheap that way, using the
breakers as switches. Not recommended, for obvious reasons.

Switch-rated breakers? They must exist.

Yes, they are common in industrial and commercial applications.

Would a guy wiring up a backyard pole barn or private horse stable
typically be aware of the difference, and where to get them? The ones I
saw looked like normal residential breakers, with no visible markings
saying they were switch-rated, or the big heavy-duty appearance and feel
industrial stuff seems to have. These were not feeding big blowers or
heaters, or massive lights or anything. Just typical barn lights and one
or two outside floods.

--
aem, always eager to learn, sends....
Posted to alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote in message
Ed Pawlowski wrote:
wrote in message
I've seen a few pole barns done on the cheap that way, using the
breakers as switches. Not recommended, for obvious reasons.
Switch-rated breakers? They must exist.

Yes, they are common in industrial and commercial applications.

Would a guy wiring up a backyard pole barn or private horse stable
typically be aware of the difference, and where to get them? The ones I
saw looked like normal residential breakers, with no visible markings
saying they were switch-rated, or the big heavy-duty appearance and feel
industrial stuff seems to have. These were not feeding big blowers or
heaters, or massive lights or anything. Just typical barn lights and one
or two outside floods.

--
aem, always eager to learn, sends....

The homeowner may not, but any electrician should know about them. Readily
available at the supply house. You'd have to pull a breaker and check the
model number to be sure of what you have though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

wrote:

HeyBub wrote:
Tony wrote:
What is the dumbest thing you find wrong with the NEC?

My pet peeve is the lack of code mandating 3 or 4 way light switches
when the room can be entered at opposite ends. I've been here for 5
years and I still instinctively reach for light switches that aren't
there. There ought-a be a law.
I wonder if there's a mandate for ANY light to have a switch.

I remember reading about a bowling alley who, for some reason, wanted to
turn off the lights. They couldn't find the switch(es)!

In the seven years of the bowling alley's existence, the lights had never
been turned off and no one remembered where the switches were. Or if there
even were any.

I've seen a few pole barns done on the cheap that way, using the
breakers as switches. Not recommended, for obvious reasons.

Switch-rated breakers? They must exist.

Look for SWD molded on the breaker or printed on the label. Most small
breakers are SWD (switch rated)

I used to attend services in a church built in 1883. The lights in the
vestibule, nave, and chancel were controlled from a breaker box in the
vestibule. Otherwise, people would have had to look for the right wall
switch, walk to it, and perhaps turn lights on or off by mistake. It
also simplified wiring in a building with solid walls.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony wrote:
What is the dumbest thing you find wrong with the NEC?

My pet peeve is the lack of code mandating 3 or 4 way light switches
when the room can be entered at opposite ends. I've been here for 5
years and I still instinctively reach for light switches that aren't
there. There ought-a be a law.

The old way had advantages. A switch inside the front door. Otherwise,
a string dangling just above head level in the middle of each room.

Less wiring, which meant less installation and maintenance.

If a room had two doors and one switch, I'd rather walk a couple of
steps in while feeling for a string than cross the room and feel for a
wall switch.

If you go to bed in a room with a switch at each door and have no
bedside lamp, you have to walk to your bed barefoot in the dark. If you
have a string dangling in the middle of the room, you can be beside the
bed when you turn off the light. You could even tie three strings to
the pull chain so you could switch the light from the bed or either door.

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
Tony wrote:
What is the dumbest thing you find wrong with the NEC?

My pet peeve is the lack of code mandating 3 or 4 way light switches
when the room can be entered at opposite ends. I've been here for 5
years and I still instinctively reach for light switches that aren't
there. There ought-a be a law.

I wonder if there's a mandate for ANY light to have a switch.

I remember reading about a bowling alley who, for some reason, wanted to
turn off the lights. They couldn't find the switch(es)!

In the seven years of the bowling alley's existence, the lights had never
been turned off and no one remembered where the switches were. Or if there
even were any.

many commercial applications just use the breaker panel for light switches.
Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
Tony wrote:
What is the dumbest thing you find wrong with the NEC?

My pet peeve is the lack of code mandating 3 or 4 way light switches
when the room can be entered at opposite ends. I've been here for 5
years and I still instinctively reach for light switches that aren't
there. There ought-a be a law.

I wonder if there's a mandate for ANY light to have a switch.

I remember reading about a bowling alley who, for some reason, wanted
to turn off the lights. They couldn't find the switch(es)!

In the seven years of the bowling alley's existence, the lights had
never been turned off and no one remembered where the switches were.
Or if there even were any.

I've seen a few pole barns done on the cheap that way, using the
breakers as switches. Not recommended, for obvious reasons.

--
aem sends...

what's the obvious reason? Many many commercial buildings are switched
that way.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Barker wrote:
aemeijers wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
Tony wrote:
[...]

Learn something every day on here. I never knew such things existed, and
they always used to smack me upside the head for playing with
residential-grade breakers, using them as switches. And I distinctly
remember threads on here saying not to do so. My construction experience
was only residential and apartments, not commercial.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

wrote:

HeyBub wrote:
Tony wrote:
[...]

Looking at a recent ordinary SquareD QO 20A breaker, the paper label
near the wire terminal is marked "SWD". Probably not readable without a
magnifying glass.

The UL "White Book" (DIVQ) says "circuit breakers rated 50 A or less and
125/250 V or less are investigated for use with tungsten-filament lamp
loads." "For use with" is not explicitly the same as for routine
switching of. But "SWD" is explicitly for routinely switching
fluorescents. Do you need a "SWD" mark for routinely switching
incandescents? I thought you did, but the "White Book" doesn't seem so
clear.

For routine switching of HID lights (mercury, metal halide, high/low
pressure sodium) there should be a "HID" mark. I don't remember ever
seeing one of them.

--
bud--

Posted to alt.home.repair

E Z Peaces wrote:
Tony wrote:
[...]

OK, that's it! I'm running eye hooks and strings to all of the kitchen,
bedroom and living room entrances! Pull one string for on and one for
off. Now how to mark the strings... I'll go with the 1 and 0 which is
becoming popular. Off has a round loop on the string and on has a
straight... something, or nothing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony" wrote in message
OK, that's it! I'm running eye hooks and strings to all of the kitchen,
bedroom and living room entrances! Pull one string for on and one for
off. Now how to mark the strings... I'll go with the 1 and 0 which is
becoming popular. Off has a round loop on the string and on has a
straight... something, or nothing.

Nope, only need one string to each door. The pill chain ratchets on and
off.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Roger Shoaf wrote:
"Tony" wrote in message
OK, that's it! I'm running eye hooks and strings to all of the kitchen,
bedroom and living room entrances! Pull one string for on and one for
off. Now how to mark the strings... I'll go with the 1 and 0 which is
becoming popular. Off has a round loop on the string and on has a
straight... something, or nothing.

Nope, only need one string to each door. The pill chain ratchets on and
off.

My house was wired in the 1920s. Except at the front door, there's no
sign that any switch ever had knob & tube wiring, so most switches must
have been added later.

Some of the switched lights were made with chain switches. Finding
places to install switch boxes must have been a problem. Two rooms are
switched from outside. The switch in one room is not near any of the
three doors. There are no three-way switches.

One bedroom still has no wall switch, and I've grown to appreciate it.
If you enter a room from a door with no switch, taking two steps and
feeling for a string can be easier and safer than crossing the room to
find the wall switch. It's a little inelegant because if you touch a
string hanging in the dark, you may have to wait for it to swing back to
your hand so you can pull it.

Inside the back door and at the back entry to the kitchen, I added
lights where I would have had to use surface-mount boxes for wall
switches. In each case, I used a couple of eye screws to run a string
down the wall at a good location. A tied string is easier than a switch
to find in the dark, you can work it with your hands full, and you don't
get the wall dirty. With another length of string and two more eye
screws, I could operate the light from more than one place in the room.
This versatility could be useful in a room such as a bedroom, where
rearranging furniture could make a new switch location desirable.

Chain-pull switches can be practical for ceiling lights.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Code is not the best way to build something.

Code is the worst you are allowed to build something.

When we were in Europe, most lights had multiple switches. Near as I
could tell they were all momentary switches with a change of state
relay in the panel. It was very convenient to have a switch at the
door to each bedroom, and another one you could reach from the bed.