Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Pluming / Shower Diverter

I have an older shower.
I have removed the Shower diverter and replaced it. I have the type
that has a spring on it and you pull it out to make water go to the
shower and then push in (or turn water off ) to make it go to the tub.
This diverter is on the wall eg its NOT the type that is built into
the the tub water outlet.

The problem is that after I have replaced the part it now leaks even
worse from the diverter, particularly when the tub is being filled.

As I asess the problem I think that my problem is that the rubber O
ring that goes on the outside of the plastic sleeve is falling off and
not sealing when i insert it into the diverter hole that is very
tight.
Here is a picture of my part. (click on the picture its self for a
bigger view) http://tinyurl.com/ss288-1

On the picture you can see the O ring goes around the plastic sleeve
and sits in a channel. But when I put it into the very tight shower
diverter hole, I think it falls off or partialy falls off. I believe
this because when I carfully pull it out the plastic sleave, after yet
another failed atempt to put the diverter in, O ring is off or
partially off and it is slumped forward eg in the direction that it
would natually fall/or slide offf while pushing it in NOT pulling it
out. Thus I think when I push it in the tight fit is making it come
out of the small groove that cermufrances (if thats a word) the
plastic housing it fits around (again see my link above)

Im apealing to those of you who may have done this before and has some
experience with this problem. I have tried putting vaciline on it to
make it more slippering but that has nto worked.

Thanks
Unwashed famly.