DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Gluing plastic drop cloths (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/290619-gluing-plastic-drop-cloths.html)

ransley October 30th 09 01:20 PM

Gluing plastic drop cloths

I need to glue plastic drop cloths to a metal frame but the caulk I
have tested wont adhere to the plastic. I tried as a test using new GE
silicone caulk and latex caulk on black plastic bags but they didnt
adhere well. Would Liqued Nails or something else work better, are
garbage bags the same plastic as the drop cloths sold so my tests are
correct.

DerbyDad03 October 30th 09 01:42 PM

Gluing plastic drop cloths

On Oct 30, 9:20*am, ransley wrote:
I need to glue plastic drop cloths to a metal frame but the caulk I
have tested wont adhere to the plastic. I tried as a test using new GE
silicone caulk and latex caulk on black plastic bags but they didnt
adhere well. Would Liqued Nails or something else work better, are
garbage bags the same plastic as the drop cloths sold so my tests are
correct.

That reminds me...I have to order some more Dow 732.

Take a look he

http://www.mcmaster.com/#7587a51/=4a9exh

Thanks for the reminder!

Eric October 30th 09 02:43 PM

Gluing plastic drop cloths

"ransley" wrote in message
I need to glue plastic drop cloths to a metal frame but the caulk I
have tested wont adhere to the plastic. I tried as a test using new GE
silicone caulk and latex caulk on black plastic bags but they didnt
adhere well. Would Liqued Nails or something else work better, are
garbage bags the same plastic as the drop cloths sold so my tests are
correct.

Some plastics really don't glue well, it sounds like you've found one of them.

I've had good luck gluing polyethylene (which is notorious for nothing sticking to it) with 3M
"super 77" spray adhesive. Most good hardware stores have it, as well as a bunch of places online.

Eric Law

Joe October 30th 09 07:44 PM

Gluing plastic drop cloths

On Oct 30, 8:20*am, ransley wrote:
I need to glue plastic drop cloths to a metal frame but the caulk I
have tested wont adhere to the plastic. I tried as a test using new GE
silicone caulk and latex caulk on black plastic bags but they didnt
adhere well. Would Liqued Nails or something else work better, are
garbage bags the same plastic as the drop cloths sold so my tests are
correct.

Harbor Freight has blue tarp mender tape that works quite well on the
plastic (probably PE) tarps. Ought to work OK for your project.

Joe

HeyBub[_3_] October 30th 09 08:11 PM

Gluing plastic drop cloths

Eric wrote:
"ransley" wrote in message
I need to glue plastic drop cloths to a metal frame but the caulk I
have tested wont adhere to the plastic. I tried as a test using new
GE silicone caulk and latex caulk on black plastic bags but they
didnt adhere well. Would Liqued Nails or something else work better,
are garbage bags the same plastic as the drop cloths sold so my
tests are correct.

Some plastics really don't glue well, it sounds like you've found one
of them.
I've had good luck gluing polyethylene (which is notorious for
nothing sticking to it) with 3M "super 77" spray adhesive. Most good
hardware stores have it, as well as a bunch of places online.

Second that 3M-77 stuff. I used to attach laminate to the kitchen
countertops. It'll stick an ice cube to a beaver tail.

Phisherman[_2_] October 31st 09 09:57 PM

Gluing plastic drop cloths

On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 06:20:59 -0700 (PDT), ransley
wrote:

I need to glue plastic drop cloths to a metal frame but the caulk I
have tested wont adhere to the plastic. I tried as a test using new GE
silicone caulk and latex caulk on black plastic bags but they didnt
adhere well. Would Liqued Nails or something else work better, are
garbage bags the same plastic as the drop cloths sold so my tests are
correct.

Maybe contact cement or rubber glue. I've used duct tape to secure
plastic drop cloths when I mudded/sanded/primed/painted the bathtub
area. It worked well. If your plastic is not too heavy you can use
painters tape or masking tape.