DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Electric Range Wiring (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/289303-electric-range-wiring.html)

komobu October 12th 09 09:21 PM

Electric Range Wiring

Hi;

I had a gas range in my kitchen. I want to install an electric range.
Should I use 6 gauge or 8 gauge wiring?

Thanks
Pat

#6 copper will be sufficient for any residential electric range. #8 copper
will be sufficient for most residential electric ranges

John Grabowski October 12th 09 11:23 PM

Electric Range Wiring

"komobu" wrote in message
Hi;

I had a gas range in my kitchen. I want to install an electric range.
Should I use 6 gauge or 8 gauge wiring?

Definitely #6 if you will getting a double oven with that or an oven with a
warming drawer..

bob haller October 12th 09 11:59 PM

Electric Range Wiring

I had a gas range in my kitchen. I want to install an electric range.
Should I use 6 gauge or 8 gauge wiring?

gas is far better for burners.

by the time you add a new breaker, proper cable etc etc. remember 4
wire cable and receptable is now required

you will find it far cheaper to stick with gas.........

fftt October 13th 09 01:52 AM

Electric Range Wiring

On Oct 12, 1:21*pm, komobu wrote:
Hi;

I had a gas range in my kitchen. I want to install an electric range.
Should I use 6 gauge or 8 gauge wiring?

Thanks
Pat

How about a manufacturer & model number?

What is the current draw? How big is the circuit breaker?

cheers
Bob

mm October 13th 09 02:01 AM

Electric Range Wiring

On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 15:59:04 -0700 (PDT), bob haller
wrote:

I had a gas range in my kitchen. I want to install an electric range.
Should I use 6 gauge or 8 gauge wiring?

gas is far better for burners.

by the time you add a new breaker, proper cable etc etc. remember 4
wire cable and receptable is now required

you will find it far cheaper to stick with gas.........

Good point. And I've never been able to broil a steak well with
electric.

bob haller October 13th 09 12:33 PM

Electric Range Wiring

wrote:

I had a gas range in my kitchen. I want to install an electric range..
Should I use 6 gauge or 8 gauge wiring?

gas is far better for burners.

by the time you add a new breaker, proper cable etc etc. remember 4
wire cable and receptable is now required

you will find it far cheaper to stick with gas.........

Good point. �And I've never been able to broil a steak well with
electric.

gas probably costs less to operate too. the instant heat instant off
makes frying etc easier

Stormin Mormon October 13th 09 01:48 PM

Electric Range Wiring

Natural gas gives you a heat source when the electric is
off. I've used mine several times, for emergency heat.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus