DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   installing gutters (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/288984-installing-gutters.html)

jamesgangnc[_3_] October 8th 09 08:48 PM

installing gutters

Anyone know the trick to cutting an X in a gutter to attach a
downspout? Just use tin snips? Or is there a pro trick?

dpb October 8th 09 09:47 PM

installing gutters

jamesgangnc wrote:
Anyone know the trick to cutting an X in a gutter to attach a
downspout? Just use tin snips? Or is there a pro trick?

Pro's have punches.

I use a Greenlee for the corners, then can snip between.

A small angle grinder works in a pinch.

Just regular snips are a pita unless you have an offset handle pair.

Colbyt October 8th 09 10:37 PM

installing gutters

"jamesgangnc" wrote in message
Anyone know the trick to cutting an X in a gutter to attach a
downspout? Just use tin snips? Or is there a pro trick?

Don't confuse me for a pro. :)

Score the outline (rectangles are easier than rounds). Run over this 2-3
times.
Make the X cut and keep scoring it till the utility blade cuts through.
Use pliers or small vice grips to remove the quarters.

I have done it this way many times.

--
Colbyt

DanG October 9th 09 11:18 AM

installing gutters

Take a straight blade screwdriver that is fairly new (that has
sharp edges). Use a hammer to drive the edge of the tip into the
gutter material to rip a starting hole. Be generous with the rip
so the tip of your aviation snips can get in the rip easily.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

jamesgangnc[_3_] October 9th 09 05:35 PM

installing gutters

On Oct 9, 6:18*am, "DanG" wrote:
Take a straight blade screwdriver that is fairly new (that has
sharp edges). *Use a hammer to drive the edge of the tip into the
gutter material to rip a starting hole. *Be generous with the rip
so the tip of your aviation snips can get in the rip easily.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG *(remove the sevens)

"jamesgangnc" wrote in message

Anyone know the trick to cutting an X in a gutter to attach a
downspout? *Just use tin snips? *Or is there a pro trick?- Hide quoted text -

Thanks everyone. I'll be trying a few of these suggestions this
weekend.

Roger Shoaf October 10th 09 08:23 PM

installing gutters

"jamesgangnc" wrote in message
Anyone know the trick to cutting an X in a gutter to attach a
downspout? Just use tin snips? Or is there a pro trick?

Punch a hole in the center, then use a nibbler to make the X.

$7 here

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

jamesgangnc[_3_] October 13th 09 05:48 PM

installing gutters

$7 herehttp://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=97636

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Ok I ended up with my own technique :-)

Draw the X inside. Hammer and wood chisel with a scrape of lumber
oriented grain in the direction of the cuts. Chisel straight down and
then move over. Fast and accurate.