Posted to alt.home.repair

Default attached garage roof meets t1-11... how to flash?

so... how in the world can I flash from a roof to t1-11? just fill
the grooves with foam insulation rope and caulk (and then a face
board)? fill the grooves with caulk and run flashing in front? has
anyone done this? I just recently bituthened the joint, running up
the t1-11 about 5 inches. I figured I would screw a board into the
t1-11 and caulk the snot out of it... but that is basically how it was
done previously.. and it would occasionally leak a bit. What's a good
move here? Any input would be appreciated.
Posted to alt.home.repair
tom tom is offline

On Oct 4, 11:23 pm, xparatrooper wrote:
so... how in the world can I flash from a roof to t1-11? just fill
the grooves with foam insulation rope and caulk (and then a face
board)? fill the grooves with caulk and run flashing in front? has
anyone done this? I just recently bituthened the joint, running up
the t1-11 about 5 inches. I figured I would screw a board into the
t1-11 and caulk the snot out of it... but that is basically how it was
done previously.. and it would occasionally leak a bit. What's a good
move here? Any input would be appreciated.

If this is a roof edge (rake edge) that meets the vertical siding,
it's done with step-flashing, i.e. one 5x7 or 8x8 inch flashing card
under each shingle that laps out into the lower course. These are
installed with a slightly 90 degree bend that slips up behind the
siding. If it's a shed type roof that meets the siding, it's done with
a flashing that starts a few inches up under the t1-11 and laps down
and out onto the top course of the roof, covering the fasteners of
said course. There are instructions on how to do these procedures on
every bundle of shingles. How many jumps you got? Tom
Posted to alt.home.repair

and out onto the top course of the roof, covering the fasteners of
said course. There are instructions on how to do these procedures on
every bundle of shingles. How many jumps you got? Tom

Looks like the original installers didn't flash it at all. I've had
the house for 12 years and the garage was just tar and paper abutted
to the t1-11. I just finished putting bituthene on the whole roof
while I wait for next Spring to put on a metal roof. It will be
snowing up here in a couple days... so Spring will have to do. Looks
like maybe I can get up there with a worm drive and cut through the
t1-11 a couple inches above the roof line, and then attempt to pull
out the t1-11 enough to try to poke some flashing in behind for
drainage. Looks like a pain in the butt coming my way Any ideas
on what to use? a 6" roll and just bend it myself after it gets
tucked in? or some 10ft pieces of Z channel? I have about 20ft from
eave to peak on two sides.
Posted to alt.home.repair
tom tom is offline

On Oct 5, 9:09 pm, xparatrooper wrote:
[...]

I'd use aluminum coil stock, and find someone with a brake. You don't
have to install the shed flashing in one piece. Maybe two or even
three pieces with a three-inch lap. Enjoy. Tom
Posted to alt.home.repair
[...]

Whoops. After re-reading your post, it sounds like you've got some
step-flashing to do. Tom

Posted to alt.home.repair

tucked in? *or some 10ft pieces of Z channel? *I have about 20ft from
eave to peak on two sides.

Whoops. After re-reading your post, it sounds like you've got some
step-flashing to do. * Tom

You kind of lost me.... to get the siding to pull away from the
roof, I will end up cutting it maybe 3-4 inches above the roof. I
will then pry the siding away from the studs a little bit, which will
allow me to insert some flashing and then nail it down. The flashing
will then shed onto the roof, which is already coated 100% with
bituthene, and the bituthene actually crawls up the t1-11 siding about
3-4 inches. Would it really matter if I used step flashing, or 10ft
sections?
Posted to alt.home.repair

xparatrooper wrote:
tucked in? or some 10ft pieces of Z channel? I have about 20ft from
eave to peak on two sides.

Whoops. After re-reading your post, it sounds like you've got some
step-flashing to do. Tom

You kind of lost me.... to get the siding to pull away from the
roof, I will end up cutting it maybe 3-4 inches above the roof. I
will then pry the siding away from the studs a little bit, which will
allow me to insert some flashing and then nail it down. The flashing
will then shed onto the roof, which is already coated 100% with
bituthene, and the bituthene actually crawls up the t1-11 siding about
3-4 inches. Would it really matter if I used step flashing, or 10ft
sections?

He missed the part where you will be putting on metal roofing. Step
flashing would be appropriate for shingles. I'm no expert, but your plan
sounds fine to me- basically a valley with one vertical side. If and
when I ever reskin my deck, I need to do about the same thing where
idiot previous owner nailed the deck ledger boards directly to the damn
siding- cut the siding back, flash, and hang the ledger boards off
waterproofed standoffs.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

idiot previous owner nailed the deck ledger boards directly to the damn
siding- cut the siding back, flash, and hang the ledger boards off
waterproofed standoffs.

--
aem sends...

whew... thanks for that.
Posted to alt.home.repair
tom tom is offline

On Oct 6, 6:21 pm, aemeijers wrote:
xparatrooper wrote:
[...]

You're right, I missed the metal roofing. And I did _assume_
shingles, Jumper, go up under the siding with the bituthane, and lap
it _outside_onto the siding at the eave(you'll have to make a sort of
vertical cut in the siding), then install the rake panel with a bend a
few inches up under the siding. Make sure you allow the water to exit
from behind the siding at the eave on this piece, too. Good catch,
aem, thanks. Tom
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to tom, Jason wrote:
Im trying to find a code reference for this. The builder of my house nailed
the flashing to the siding without tucking it under. Then nailed a piece of
trim on top of the flashing and caulked the top part of the trim to seal it.
It leaks and I want to get them to fix it. If I had the code reference Id
be going in there with something to argue. Since Im the second owner of
this six year old house Im not sure if they will fix it or not.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...sh-398291-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, June 20, 2018 at 3:44:06 PM UTC-4, Jason wrote:
replying to tom, Jason wrote:
Im trying to find a code reference for this. The builder of my house nailed
the flashing to the siding without tucking it under. Then nailed a piece of
trim on top of the flashing and caulked the top part of the trim to seal it.
It leaks and I want to get them to fix it. If I had the code reference Id
be going in there with something to argue. Since Im the second owner of
this six year old house Im not sure if they will fix it or not.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...sh-398291-.htm

That's definitely hosed up. The siding should end about 3/4" to an inch above the roof plane and the flashing should extend up a couple inches behind the siding. No caulk. You could take some pictures, take it to the building department and ask their opinion.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/20/2018 3:44 PM, Jason wrote:
replying to tom, JasonÂ* wrote:
Im trying to find a code reference for this. The builder of my house nailed
the flashing to the siding without tucking it under. Then nailed a piece of
trim on top of the flashing and caulked the top part of the trim to seal it.
It leaks and I want to get them to fix it. If I had the code reference Id
be going in there with something to argue. Since Im the second owner of
this six year old house Im not sure if they will fix it or not.

Sounds messed up.Â* What color was the builder?

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to tom, Jason* wrote:
I’m trying to find a code reference for this. The builder of my house nailed
the flashing to the siding without tucking it under. Then nailed a piece of
trim on top of the flashing and caulked the top part of the trim to seal it.
It leaks and I want to get them to fix it. If I had the code reference I’d
be going in there with something to argue. Since I’m the second owner of
this six year old house I’m not sure if they will fix it or not.

Sounds messed up.* What color was the builder?

Definitely not done right and should be fixed - doesn't matter if
the builder had pink polka-dots.

The flashing should go up under the siding and the bottom edge of the
siding should be sealed. The siding should also end a few inches above
the roof surface - depending if you are in a snow region - the
flashing should go well up the wall.
Personally I like to see water and ice guard (membrane) runabout 8
inches up the wall under the siding, running about 16 inches out the
roof, with the flashing over that.

Here a minimum of 36 inches of ice guard is required all around the
bottom and edge (gable or slope) of the roof - houses with wide
overhang need more.