DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Advice on installing sliding door closet (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/288445-re-advice-installing-sliding-door-closet.html)

DT October 1st 09 03:06 AM

Advice on installing sliding door closet

In article
,
says...
I am framing out an opening for a sliding closet door in my basement
and had a 2 questions:

2) The closet doors is adjacent to a sheetrock wall. Can the door
just close up against the sheetrock wall, or is there suppose to be
something like a 2X4 or door jamb on the side of the frame? What is
usually done on the sides?

Normally the sliding door is installed in a wall and just runs up
against the drywall jamb at each end. There should be a 2x4 directly
behind the drywall, or even a double 2x4. If I read your post as stating
that instead, the door will run up to a side wall, then you add a 2x4 on
the side wall and cover it with drywall to make a very short wall
section, i.e., 2" wide. You could just add an exposed 1x4 jamb, I guess.

--
Dennis