Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Garage door opener oddity

Crafstman garage door opener with wall switch and two remotes. I called
Sears and talked to a tech who had never heard of this particular problem...
maybe someone here has experienced this.

The unit operates fine from the wall switch, but suddenly, the remotes don't
work. Nothing has been altered and remote batteries were checked. The
little light in the wall switch up/down touch pad is blinking, whether the
door is up or down, which isn't right, but why?

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

"uncle K" wrote:

Crafstman garage door opener with wall switch and two remotes. I called
Sears and talked to a tech who had never heard of this particular problem...
maybe someone here has experienced this.

The unit operates fine from the wall switch, but suddenly, the remotes don't
work. Nothing has been altered and remote batteries were checked. The
little light in the wall switch up/down touch pad is blinking, whether the
door is up or down, which isn't right, but why?

TIA

It sounds like you may have locked it. If you have a lock button on
the wall switch, try pressing it and see if the light quits blinking.
--
Jim Rusling
More or Less Retired
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim Rusling" wrote in message
g...

It sounds like you may have locked it. If you have a lock button on
the wall switch, try pressing it and see if the light quits blinking.

Jim, that's what came to mind as I hit send. I'm 90 miles from the unit,
but I'll make a call and see if this is the answer.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

"uncle K" wrote in message
news

"Jim Rusling" wrote in message
g...

It sounds like you may have locked it. If you have a lock button on
the wall switch, try pressing it and see if the light quits blinking.

I just tried it on mine and you're right.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Van Chocstraw" wrote in message
uncle K wrote:
Crafstman garage door opener with wall switch and two remotes.

My doors have a momentary contact push button. A wall switch would make
contact all the time probably shorting the circuit and preventing the
remotes from working.

I believe we are talking about the same switch. The reference to "wall"
switch meaning hard wired as opposed to a remote.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Sanity" wrote in message

It sounds like you may have locked it. If you have a lock button on
the wall switch, try pressing it and see if the light quits blinking.

I just tried it on mine and you're right.

This is at my folks' house. My aging dad is a pretty good electrician, but
unable to solve this, so far. He tried the lock switch and nothing changes.
He even took it apart to inspect (there isn't much there), and didn't find a
problem. Rats!

I'll be there in a couple of days to give it a go and report back.

Thank you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 10:25:24 -0700, "uncle K" wrote:

Crafstman garage door opener with wall switch and two remotes. I called
Sears and talked to a tech who had never heard of this particular problem...
maybe someone here has experienced this.

The unit operates fine from the wall switch, but suddenly, the remotes don't
work. Nothing has been altered and remote batteries were checked. The
little light in the wall switch up/down touch pad is blinking, whether the
door is up or down, which isn't right, but why?

TIA

You might try a re-boot. Disconnect all power to the unit for
a couple of hours and see if it might come back up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

uncle K wrote:
Crafstman garage door opener with wall switch and two remotes. I called
Sears and talked to a tech who had never heard of this particular
problem... maybe someone here has experienced this.

The unit operates fine from the wall switch, but suddenly, the remotes
don't work. Nothing has been altered and remote batteries were checked.
The little light in the wall switch up/down touch pad is blinking,
whether the door is up or down, which isn't right, but why?

TIA

My doors have a momentary contact push button. A wall switch would make
contact all the time probably shorting the circuit and preventing the
remotes from working.

Surprising that no one has mentioned the hopefully obvious cause ! The door
electronic -eye sensors will cause this problem if they have been "knocked"
ever so slightly out of line. The beam not lining up will not allow the
remote openers to work and show a malfunction to the control board! The
wall button is hard wired to the opener and may by- pass the sensor system
.. My best guess would be to check the sensor alignment.

HTH

Bill in Plano

Posted to alt.home.repair

uncle K wrote:
[...]

My door will open no matter what the sensors are sensing, or not
sensing. They do however need to be working for the door to close.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Update: Problem solved - 1st diagnosis was correct.

First, for whatever reason, this opener does not have electric eyes. I
personally inspected the situation last night. To verify that my dad had
done what I asked, I had him show me. He hit the lock button twice...
nothing. I tried it myself, being very deliberate, holding the button in,
then releasing it. Bingo. (Turns out it's all in the wrist).

So, he's back in business. Thank you all for your suggestions.

Uncle K