Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Very slippery marble floor

I have a very slippery marble floor which is dangerous to walk on. I nearly
slipped several times and my wife actually did slip and fall.

Is there any easy method to make this surface have more friction without
damaging the appearance or the surface itself?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smarty" wrote in message
I have a very slippery marble floor which is dangerous to walk on. I nearly
slipped several times and my wife actually did slip and fall.

Is there any easy method to make this surface have more friction without
damaging the appearance or the surface itself?

Thanks for any suggestions.

no. put down rubber backed rugs, or abrade the surface.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"charlie" wrote in message

"Smarty" wrote in message
I have a very slippery marble floor which is dangerous to walk on. I
nearly slipped several times and my wife actually did slip and fall.

Is there any easy method to make this surface have more friction without
damaging the appearance or the surface itself?

Thanks for any suggestions.

no. put down rubber backed rugs, or abrade the surface.

I was hoping somebody could possibly recommend a non-slip topping which
could be mopped or sponged onto the surface. I would have to think that some
such product has been developed, given all the slips and falls people take
on ceramic tile, marble, and other slippery / smooth floor surfaces. Maybe
something used around swimming pools or other public areas is available?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Sep 22, 7:35*am, "Smarty" wrote:
I have a very slippery marble floor which is dangerous to walk on. I nearly
slipped several times and my wife actually did slip and fall.

Is there any easy method to make this surface have more friction without
damaging the appearance or the surface itself?

Thanks for any suggestions.

FWIW, polyurethanes are inherently high friction. A water based PU
varnish might give you the result you want. It will be light colored,
so the stone may not change appearance very much. Try a small section
somewhat out of view to see whether the improved friction works for
you.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

--

really? sliding over polyurethaned hardwood floors in socks comes to mind.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smarty" wrote in message
"charlie" wrote in message

"Smarty" wrote in message
I have a very slippery marble floor which is dangerous to walk on. I
nearly slipped several times and my wife actually did slip and fall.

Is there any easy method to make this surface have more friction without
damaging the appearance or the surface itself?

Thanks for any suggestions.

no. put down rubber backed rugs, or abrade the surface.

I was hoping somebody could possibly recommend a non-slip topping which
could be mopped or sponged onto the surface. I would have to think that
some such product has been developed, given all the slips and falls people
take on ceramic tile, marble, and other slippery / smooth floor surfaces.
Maybe something used around swimming pools or other public areas is
available?

usually you don't put shiny marble floors on something that people normally
walk on when they're wet. in those places that do, have some sort of
rubberized mats, roughened surfaces (either painted on with sand or other
grit added), or textured surfaces (tile).

Posted to alt.home.repair

Smarty wrote:
"charlie" wrote in message

"Smarty" wrote in message
I have a very slippery marble floor which is dangerous to walk on. I
nearly slipped several times and my wife actually did slip and fall.

Is there any easy method to make this surface have more friction
without damaging the appearance or the surface itself?

Thanks for any suggestions.

no. put down rubber backed rugs, or abrade the surface.

I was hoping somebody could possibly recommend a non-slip topping which
could be mopped or sponged onto the surface. I would have to think that
some such product has been developed, given all the slips and falls
people take on ceramic tile, marble, and other slippery / smooth floor
surfaces. Maybe something used around swimming pools or other public
areas is available?

tile is slippery. if you want stickery, put down carpet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 22, 12:36*pm, Joe wrote:
On Sep 22, 7:35*am, "Smarty" wrote:

I have a very slippery marble floor which is dangerous to walk on. I nearly
slipped several times and my wife actually did slip and fall.

Is there any easy method to make this surface have more friction without
damaging the appearance or the surface itself?

Thanks for any suggestions.

FWIW, polyurethanes are inherently high friction. A water based PU
varnish might give you the result you want. It will be light colored,
so the stone may not change appearance very much. Try a small section
somewhat out of view to see whether the improved friction works for
you.

Joe

I would be worried about adhesion on this as well.

Friction comes from the surface being more irregular. It's pretty
difficult to have a glossy finish and non-slip at the same time. Some
rubber backed rugs are probably the best solution. Is this in a
bathroom?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Smarty wrote:
I have a very slippery marble floor which is dangerous to walk on. I
nearly slipped several times and my wife actually did slip and fall.

Is there any easy method to make this surface have more friction without
damaging the appearance or the surface itself?

Thanks for any suggestions.

There might be a finish (sealer) that makes the floor too slippery. If
possible, contact the installer or prior owner for info. If that isn't
a solution, there may be a sealer which makes it less slippery. It
would help to have more info - extremely slippery when floor is dry?
You are wearing shoes or just stockings? It sounds very dangerous, and
the solution may be in covering or replacing it. Can the floor be
repolished to a less glossy finish?

We have terrazzo in our kitchen, which I love. Only problem is that if
there is a wet spot, even from dropping a little piece of ice, the melt
will make it extremely slippery.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Smarty wrote:
[...]

Thank to all for the replies. I am dealing with a dry floor made of marble
tiles (12 inch by 12 inch) which is extremely slippery in stockings,
somewhat slippery in leather-soled shoes, and not really dangerous if rubber
soles or bare -feet are involved. It is in a residential foyer / entrance
which is a heavily-trafficked path from one end of a home to another, and
does, on occasional, also get wet, making the problem even worse.
Fortunately the wet surface only occurs when outside visitors bring rain or
melted snow into the foyer on their shoes or boots, which is something quite
easy to control with carpet, mats, and other methods at the exterior entry
door.

There are many products sold commercially and on the Internet which promise
high friction / high traction non-skid surfaces, some of which have their
own issues when used on marble.

I am mostly looking for anybody who has some experience with this type of
approach, since adding carpet runners, non-skid tape, gritty patches, and
all the things which may be considered in a public bathing area, for
example, would look entirely inappropriate in this entry foyer.

Sorry I was not more specific to begin with, and thanks again for any
suggestions.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Smarty wrote:
"charlie" wrote in message

"Smarty" wrote in message
I have a very slippery marble floor which is dangerous to walk on. I
nearly slipped several times and my wife actually did slip and fall.

Is there any easy method to make this surface have more friction
without damaging the appearance or the surface itself?

Thanks for any suggestions.

no. put down rubber backed rugs, or abrade the surface.

I was hoping somebody could possibly recommend a non-slip topping
which could be mopped or sponged onto the surface. I would have to
think that some such product has been developed, given all the slips
and falls people take on ceramic tile, marble, and other slippery /
smooth floor surfaces. Maybe something used around swimming pools or
other public areas is available?

They do. It's made of epoxy and sand.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smarty" wrote

I am mostly looking for anybody who has some experience with this type of
approach, since adding carpet runners, non-skid tape, gritty patches, and
all the things which may be considered in a public bathing area, for
example, would look entirely inappropriate in this entry foyer.

I have no direct experience with this but i recall some floors in Florida
done that way Mostly they were entry foyers.

What people did was use a 'coating' (not sure if it was an epoxy or what)
and in it they mixed a little fine grain sand. This provided a still
somewhat shiny look, yet had sand in there to help traction.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smarty" wrote in message
wrote in message
Smarty wrote:
[...]

You should invite several people over for dinner. Have them remove their
shoes, and have your video cam ready. You may have a $10,000 AFV winner.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 08:35:22 -0400, "Smarty"
wrote:

I have a very slippery marble floor which is dangerous to walk on. I nearly
slipped several times and my wife actually did slip and fall.

Is there any easy method to make this surface have more friction without
damaging the appearance or the surface itself?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Rubber mat, the kind made from recycled tires. I use one on a
concrete bathroom floor, easy to clean and tough.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:

On Tue 22 Sep 2009 06:39:17p, Phisherman told us...

wrote:

I have a very slippery marble floor which is dangerous to walk on.
I nearly slipped several times and my wife actually did slip and
fall.

Is there any easy method to make this surface have more friction
without damaging the appearance or the surface itself?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Rubber mat, the kind made from recycled tires. I use one on a
concrete bathroom floor, easy to clean and tough.

Functional, perhaps, but hardly esthetic on a polished marble floor.
If one must cover part of it, I would suggest an oriental rug or
runner laid over a slip proof padding.

The OP doesn't want to cover it with *anything,* which begs the
question, if he doesn't want slippery, why does he want polished
marble? It's like saying "I want a dirt path, but I don't want it to
get muddy when it rains." It is what it is.

Who knows how he came to have a marble floor, maybe he bought
the house with it. Or maybe they they had it installed without
realizing how slippery it would be. For some reason my cheapo tiled
utilty room floor turned super slippery after I'd mopped it, that's a
scary feeling. I hope your solution helps them out.

nancy

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Ed is offline

The non-slip products I have seen work by slightly etching the floor
and are acids. Marble can be damaged by acids so be very careful if
you choose to use such a product. If your floor is highly polished
there may be slight dulling but that is preferable to falling. I would
not apply polyurethane as you will have a heck of a time removing it
when it eventually wears or scratches.
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty View Post
I have a very slippery marble floor which is dangerous to walk on. I nearly
slipped several times and my wife actually did slip and fall.

Is there any easy method to make this surface have more friction without
damaging the appearance or the surface itself?

Thanks for any suggestions.
There is a good product available from Slip Doctors. You can find their website at Slipdoctors.com or call them at 888-436-5404.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Smarty, Aniz wrote:
Hi.. Solution of vinegar, baking soda and detergent powder will do the magic.
Apply the solution and wait for 15 mins and wash the floor...

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...or-396027-.htm

Slippery kitchen floor tiles jamma-plusser UK diy 9 August 17th 12 09:02 PM
Slippery Wood Floor Deke Home Repair 1 April 10th 07 03:51 AM
Marble agglomerate floor tiles Tippi Home Repair 6 June 2nd 05 02:54 PM
stained marble floor kingrat Home Ownership 1 February 14th 05 11:34 PM
Marble Floor Grout Cleaning Randy Collord Home Repair 0 May 1st 04 04:17 PM