Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can Lg Washer drain go up into the ceiling and over to sewer pipe ?

We have a new Lg Front loader washing machine...

The manual says the drain pump will work to a max of 8 feet.

I'm wondering if I could relocate my washer to where there is no drain pipe,
then install plumbing in the basement ceiling over to a drain pipe.

In other words pump it up and over, rather than breaking up the basement
floor to extend the drain.

Ray

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ray wrote:
We have a new Lg Front loader washing machine...

The manual says the drain pump will work to a max of 8 feet.

I'm wondering if I could relocate my washer to where there is no drain pipe,
then install plumbing in the basement ceiling over to a drain pipe.

In other words pump it up and over, rather than breaking up the basement
floor to extend the drain.

Ray

If all else fails, they sell plastic collector boxes with built in
pumps, that would do what you want. Essentially an above-the-floor sump
pit. I've been planning to buy one for my basement to make the abandoned
slop sink usable, and reduce the distance my washer has to pump uphill.
(Floor drains and old washer standpipe to graywater drywell have failed,
and would cost a fortune to fix. Washer is jammed into the collector for
the septic tank, along with the drain lines for furnace and water softener.)

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"
If all else fails, they sell plastic collector boxes with built in pumps,
that would do what you want. Essentially an above-the-floor sump pit. I've
been planning to buy one for my basement to make the abandoned slop sink
usable, and reduce the distance my washer has to pump uphill. (Floor
drains and old washer standpipe to graywater drywell have failed, and
would cost a fortune to fix. Washer is jammed into the collector for the
septic tank, along with the drain lines for furnace and water softener.)

--
aem sends...

I googled 'plastic collector boxes with built in pumps", but nothing came
up..
Do you know what they are called, or where they can be bought ?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ray wrote:
"
If all else fails, they sell plastic collector boxes with built in pumps,
that would do what you want. Essentially an above-the-floor sump pit. I've
been planning to buy one for my basement to make the abandoned slop sink
usable, and reduce the distance my washer has to pump uphill. (Floor
drains and old washer standpipe to graywater drywell have failed, and
would cost a fortune to fix. Washer is jammed into the collector for the
septic tank, along with the drain lines for furnace and water softener.)

--
aem sends...

I googled 'plastic collector boxes with built in pumps", but nothing came
up..
Do you know what they are called, or where they can be bought ?

General category is 'ejector pump'.

Here is one with a built-in box- I know there are others out there,
because I found them on previous searches, but I can't remember the
proper name for them either. 'Sink drain pump' produced some hits as well.

http://www.filterace.com/detail.aspx?ID=1300

--
aem sends....
Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:
Ray wrote:
"
[...]

Here's another one:
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...WS1&lpage=none

As much as I want to proceed with this project here, it isn't even in
the top half of the list of stuff this place needs... :^(

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair
LdB LdB is offline

Try it. The manual says 8'. Your head will likely be less. Run a temp
drain with a water hose up and over to the old drain. If it works
fine. If it doesn't work then consult the rocket scientists.

LdB

Ray wrote:
We have a new Lg Front loader washing machine...

The manual says the drain pump will work to a max of 8 feet.

I'm wondering if I could relocate my washer to where there is no drain pipe,
then install plumbing in the basement ceiling over to a drain pipe.

In other words pump it up and over, rather than breaking up the basement
floor to extend the drain.

Ray

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ray wrote:
We have a new Lg Front loader washing machine...

The manual says the drain pump will work to a max of 8 feet.

I'm wondering if I could relocate my washer to where there is no drain pipe,
then install plumbing in the basement ceiling over to a drain pipe.

In other words pump it up and over, rather than breaking up the basement
floor to extend the drain.

I don't see any problem with that although most others don't like it.
Not sure why?

If it was mine I'd do your plan but set the washer op on a 16" to 24"
base. First it makes things easier on your back when you don't have to
bend so low. Second, it doesn't push your drain pump to it's max rating.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony" wrote in message
Ray wrote:
We have a new Lg Front loader washing machine...

The manual says the drain pump will work to a max of 8 feet.

I'm wondering if I could relocate my washer to where there is no drain
pipe, then install plumbing in the basement ceiling over to a drain
pipe.

In other words pump it up and over, rather than breaking up the basement
floor to extend the drain.

I don't see any problem with that although most others don't like it. Not
sure why?

If it was mine I'd do your plan but set the washer op on a 16" to 24"
base. First it makes things easier on your back when you don't have to
bend so low. Second, it doesn't push your drain pump to it's max rating.

88888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888 8888888888888888888888888888888888888

I will probably try something like that.....

With the pumping systems being between $300 - $800 and still a lot of
equipment to go wrong, it's either that, or break up the floor.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article .com,

Stop posting from the ****ing spam stucco site. This is usenet. Look it
up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
LdB wrote:

Try it. The manual says 8'. Your head will likely be less. Run a temp
drain with a water hose up and over to the old drain. If it works
fine. If it doesn't work then consult the rocket scientists.

Where does all the water in the uphill side of the hose go, when the
pump stops? Back into the washer?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Not to mention how the water in the hose is going to smell if it is not
run on a daily basis.

--
Dymphna
Message origin: www.TRAVEL.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 23, 12:12*pm, Dymphna
wrote:
Not to mention how the water in the hose is going to smell if it is not
run on a daily basis.

--
Dymphna
Message origin:www.TRAVEL.com

That's the case with all washers. The outside drum is deeper than the
one the clothes sit in so the remaining water doesn't reach them.
Dish washer does the same thing, water sits in the bottom. Using them
once a week or so is enough that the water doesn't get really stale.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Ray, Julia Thomas wrote:
https://www.amazon.com/Simer-2925B-S...78845842&psc=1

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...er-395641-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

My son moved into a house with overhead drain in the basement about 10 months ago. The line is just under 8 from the floor with a brass check valve at about 4 high. His 27 year old Kenmore has been working fine with it for that time. It does have a P-trap in the line where it connects to the main feeder.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...er-395641-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 20 Feb 2021 18:30:58 +0000, Trainkarr
wrote:

My son moved into a house with overhead drain in the basement about 10 months ago. The line is just under 8’ from the floor with a brass check valve at about 4’ high. His 27 year old Kenmore has been working fine with it for that time. It does have a P-trap in the line where it connects to the main feeder.

This post is not a question.

What is the question? Because of thread drift, one cannot at all
assume the question is the subject line.

Assuming the subject might be the question:

My understanding is that washing machines will indeed pump 8 feet above
the floor but if you're not sure, get a guarantee in writing from the
store selling you the machine that you can return it for cash. Or maybe
one replacemen4t and cash if that one won't work. No extra delivery or
installation charge, in writing.

If you already own it, connect an output hose that goes 8 feet up and
then back down into the laundry sink or a big garbage can and see how it
works. If it works, connect it permanently.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

That only tests whether it can pump into that height for a moment, not
long term. As soon as the siphon effect starts, the pressure the washer
is providing drops again.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I guess in his case there is no laundry sink or he'd just use that.

works. If it works, connect it permanently.

That only tests whether it can pump into that height for a moment, not
long term. As soon as the siphon effect starts, the pressure the washer
is providing drops again.

You have a point.

So make the output hose end just after it rounds the top at 8' and have
a second hose with a mouth big enough to catch all that comes out of the
first hose. That ends the siphon effect and more closely resembles what
will happen when the output is connected to the existing drain.

Or maybe just use one hose but put a substantial hole at the top, for
air, to end the siphon effect, maybe with a tube stuck in it to resemble
the air vent that all the drains in the house have, usually going up
through the roof. Of course if he's as high as the ceiling already, I'm
not sure where the tube will go. (It's purpose was to keep water from
splashing out of the hose. Otherwise a hole would be enough.)

I also see the hard-to-read subject line implies he wants to go more
than 8 feet high, to inside the ceiling. I guess he could knock a hole
where the hole will eventually be if this works and go up 8.5 feet for
the test hose.

I've mentioned in the past that the stream next to my house backs up
into the laundry sink when it rains the right way, so I have to keep it
plugged except when using the washing machine The 3 houses next to me
have the same problem. When my next door n'bor wanted to put a bathroom
in his basement, there is already (a light and) a drain under the
cement, but for some reason I looked into upwardly pumping toilets and
found that most washign machines also could go up 8 feet (and probably
8.5 feet.) His 27 year old kenmore does. So maybe he should write to LG
and ask them if 8 feet is the limit or what?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Simple solution is to put in a laundry tub and one of these. Takes
strain off the washer and you get the handy tub .

https://tinyurl.com/1sgwk781

https://tinyurl.com/e2dez4ei
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

It might be a good idea to add a check valve at the washer to keep a
long hose of water from draining back into the washer right after
getting pumped out. It would be best to have it be easily checked for
fouling by lint.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Yes. FWIW, I put a check valve in the drain of my laundry sink, but the
first time the stream flooded, it didn't stop the water from filling the
sink and overflowing. Maybe it slowed it, I don't have any way to tell.

The stream only floods on average once a year. I suspect the check
valve was clogged with lint, but there is no way to check mine or clean
it. Maybe draining water from the sink does something, but it clearly
didnt' do enough.

My washing machine doesn't have a lint filter, only a lint chopper. It
says it chops the lint up into smaller pieces. but I have a sort of
lint filter in the drain hole of the sink (a tube of plastic with small
holes at the bottom and bigger holes at the top. I do find lint clogging
the smaller holes). And I used to have a mesh sock on the output hose
from the washer. I dont' remember why I stopped using that, but iow,
the check valve wasn't enough to stop the enormous back pressure from
the stream. That's not the same as the water in a pipe going to the
ceiling.

(My sump pump doesn't have a check valve either and every time it turns
off, I hear 9 feet of water flow back into the sump. In that case, I
assume I've wasted much less than a penny when the pump has to push it
up again the next time. If I installed a 2nd pump, like a battery
backup pump, I'd have to put check valves in both outputs)