Posted to alt.home.repair

Default honda lawnmower engine questions

After 4 years of faithful service, the Honda engine in my Sam's club
special MTD Pro walk-behind, is starting to give me problems. Engine
model is 5.5 hp GVC 160 or 190- don't know how to tell which, and the
owners manual covers both. Specifically, it dies when it falls off the
choke, for the first 4 or 5 attempts at cold start. Auto choke and
throttle, not adjustable. Warm restart seems fine. Started about 2 weeks
ago. Filter and plug and oil fresh this spring, and checked out okay
after problem arose. Added symptom I hadn't noticed before today, since
I mow with earmuffs on- the engine speed is 'hunting', and sounds very
rough.

Small engine repair is completely outside my realm, and I no longer have
the eyesight to do carb rebuilds and such anyway. Any ideas what is
wrong, and how much the repair shop is likely to want to repair it?
Engine probably has 250 hours or so on it, if that makes a difference.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 19 Sep 2009 18:46:54 -0400, aemeijers
wrote:

[...]

I would try some ether/starting spray. $3.50 or so at an auto store.

A "galloping engine" may be starving for fuel. Small carb passages
(venturi ?) can clog. A stainless bristle from a wire brush can clear
it, but don't break the wire off. The tiny holes are in the carb
throat, so look there.

Some times a good spray will help. Maybe even choke with a rag in the
carb throat.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Very likely to be fuel problems. I'm wondering about the
gasket between the carb and the engine. About $75 repair,
that's my prediction.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

honda lawnmower pacca Home Repair 2 August 5th 08 02:20 AM
Honda Lawnmower Engine Problem Nick UK diy 7 July 31st 05 09:57 AM
Honda Lawnmower Problem [email protected] Home Repair 7 April 19th 05 02:12 AM
honda lawnmower Patt Home Repair 2 April 17th 04 07:49 PM
Servicing Honda lawnmower petrol engine Frank Stacey UK diy 3 March 19th 04 08:36 PM