DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Coating or thick paint for fiberglass pool filter (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/287557-coating-thick-paint-fiberglass-pool-filter.html)

Dave[_40_] September 18th 09 08:19 PM

Coating or thick paint for fiberglass pool filter

I have an older fiberglass pool filter where the outer layer of the
resin has worn away over time and now the fibers are exposed. I want to
put some sort of thick coating or paint (epoxy?) on it to cover up the
fibers.

Does anyone know of something I could use on this that I can apply with
a paint roller and pick up at a Home Depot?

jamesgangnc[_3_] September 18th 09 08:31 PM

On Sep 18, 3:19*pm, Dave wrote:
I have an older fiberglass pool filter where the outer layer of the
resin has worn away over time and now the fibers are exposed. *I want to
put some sort of thick coating or paint (epoxy?) on it to cover up the
fibers.

Does anyone know of something I could use on this that I can apply with
a paint roller and pick up at a Home Depot?

I suggest you get some epoxy or polyester resin. The epoxy is abit
more forgiving. Once polyester resin "fires" that's it, you're done.
Use a disposable roller.

Dave[_40_] September 18th 09 09:15 PM

On 9/18/2009 12:31 PM jamesgangnc wrote:
On Sep 18, 3:19 pm, Dave wrote:
I have an older fiberglass pool filter where the outer layer of the
resin has worn away over time and now the fibers are exposed. I want to
put some sort of thick coating or paint (epoxy?) on it to cover up the
fibers.

Does anyone know of something I could use on this that I can apply with
a paint roller and pick up at a Home Depot?

I suggest you get some epoxy or polyester resin. The epoxy is abit
more forgiving. Once polyester resin "fires" that's it, you're done.
Use a disposable roller.

Do you have a recommendation on a product brand that's available at Home
Depot?

And when you say "done", what does that mean? I don't plan on removing
this stuff once it's on.

I had already planned on the disposable roller. :)

[email protected] September 18th 09 10:26 PM

Coating or thick paint for fiberglass pool filter

On Fri, 18 Sep 2009 12:31:06 -0700 (PDT), jamesgangnc
wrote:

On Sep 18, 3:19*pm, Dave wrote:
I have an older fiberglass pool filter where the outer layer of the
resin has worn away over time and now the fibers are exposed. *I want to
put some sort of thick coating or paint (epoxy?) on it to cover up the
fibers.

Does anyone know of something I could use on this that I can apply with
a paint roller and pick up at a Home Depot?

I suggest you get some epoxy or polyester resin. The epoxy is abit
more forgiving. Once polyester resin "fires" that's it, you're done.
Use a disposable roller.

Polyester resin has very poor adhesion compared to epoxy on top of old
FRP.

professorpaul September 18th 09 10:30 PM

Coating or thick paint for fiberglass pool filter

I would suggest going to a marine supply house/marina/boatyard. I
think you might be after what is known as "gel coat." I did some
repairs on a sailboat many years ago. Used epoxy and fiberglass mat,
then a special fiberglass paint, in my case. Can't believe your
problem is all that different.

dadiOH[_3_] September 19th 09 03:02 PM

On Sep 18, 3:19 pm, Dave wrote:
I have an older fiberglass pool filter where the outer layer of the
resin has worn away over time and now the fibers are exposed. I
want to put some sort of thick coating or paint (epoxy?) on it to
cover up the fibers.

Does anyone know of something I could use on this that I can apply
with a paint roller and pick up at a Home Depot?

I suggest you get some epoxy or polyester resin. The epoxy is abit
more forgiving. Once polyester resin "fires" that's it, you're done.
Use a disposable roller.

Do you have a recommendation on a product brand that's available at
Home Depot?

They are unlikely to have anything. Ditto Lowes. Try a marine or surfboard
place. Or maybe auto supply like NAPA.
__________

And when you say "done", what does that mean?

Both require a catalyst to set. Epoxy sets up slowly once the catalyst is
added, takes up to a day to get reasonably hard. Polyester hardens much
more rapidly - minutes - and the set up time can be controlled a bit by
using more/less catalyst. The curing process generates heat, BTW, so use a
shallow container for mixing and don't put the container in the trash until
all is cured.

Also BTW, there are two types of polyester resin: laminating and finishing.
Use laminating when you plan to add additional coats as the surface remains
tacky after setting. The finishing has a small amount of wax added; the wax
keeps air from the surface so the resin sets hard.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...