Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Plastic Glues

On Sep 16, 7:56*pm, Tegger wrote:
Dave wrote in news:7a8e3c05-ae00-47a4-aaed-
:

I broke the wand on a weed sprayer I really like. My 5 minute epoxy
holds for a while until a side load is applied then zap. I've shopped
Walmart and Home Depot so far and find nothing that claims to glue
plastics. What ever happened to model airplane glues and the such?

Have you tried a hobby shop?

Plastics need the correct solvents for a proper weld, plus lots of bearing
surface for a strong bond. And an uncontaminated surface. If any sort of
substance has gotten on the fractured surfaces, a durable bond will likely
be difficult.

Model airplane glues are (were?) made for fusing styrene. Your weed sprayer
probably has an ABS body. ABS contains styrene, so you'd think model
airplane glue would hold, but there may not be enough styrene in the
polymer to make a proper weld.

Besides, even with the correct adhesive, the resulting butt joint will be
forced to undergo very high bending loads relative to its surface area,
very quickly leading to a new fracture.

I think you need either a new part from the manfacturer, or a new weed
sprayer.

--
Tegger

I would wrap fiberglass cloth (soaked with epoxy like you use to
repair automobiles ) around the break extending about 6" in each
direction up and down the shaft. That should stick to almost anything.