Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT and further to cutting hole in glass bottle!!!

With my apology for OT.

I have a section of the shore portion of the first Transatlantic
'Telephone' cable (Not Cyrus Fields 1850s 'Telegraph' cable) that went
into operation in 1956 between Oban Scotland and Shoal Harbour
Newfoundland. I picked it up personally as a scrap item, at a repeater
site (Of the Newfoundland to North Sydney, Nova Scotia, portion), in
1956.

Wish to slice the short section, a few inches long, into thin slices
and mount each 'slice' (probably by gluing?) on small plaques to make
a presentation item; to telecommunication industry retirees etc..

Could anyone suggest best method and or direct to a 'hobbyist/model-
makers' news group for advice.

Thank you for your forbearance of my question; but there is so much
help and knowledge/skill available here. Many thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"terry" wrote in message
With my apology for OT.

I have a section of the shore portion of the first Transatlantic
'Telephone' cable (Not Cyrus Fields 1850s 'Telegraph' cable) that went
into operation in 1956 between Oban Scotland and Shoal Harbour
Newfoundland. I picked it up personally as a scrap item, at a repeater
site (Of the Newfoundland to North Sydney, Nova Scotia, portion), in
1956.

Wish to slice the short section, a few inches long, into thin slices
and mount each 'slice' (probably by gluing?) on small plaques to make
a presentation item; to telecommunication industry retirees etc..

Could anyone suggest best method and or direct to a 'hobbyist/model-
makers' news group for advice.

Thank you for your forbearance of my question; but there is so much
help and knowledge/skill available here. Many thanks.

try rec.crafts.metalworking

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
terry wrote:

With my apology for OT.

I have a section of the shore portion of the first Transatlantic
'Telephone' cable (Not Cyrus Fields 1850s 'Telegraph' cable) that went
into operation in 1956 between Oban Scotland and Shoal Harbour
Newfoundland. I picked it up personally as a scrap item, at a repeater
site (Of the Newfoundland to North Sydney, Nova Scotia, portion), in
1956.

Wish to slice the short section, a few inches long, into thin slices
and mount each 'slice' (probably by gluing?) on small plaques to make
a presentation item; to telecommunication industry retirees etc..

Could anyone suggest best method and or direct to a 'hobbyist/model-
makers' news group for advice.

Thank you for your forbearance of my question; but there is so much
help and knowledge/skill available here. Many thanks.

What's the diameter? Can you post any pics?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Might be a job for one of those diamond saws used to slice stones.
(Might clog up with any plastic though?) Do you have a "gem and
mineral" type club in your area?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Larry The Snake Guy" wrote in message
Might be a job for one of those diamond saws used to slice stones.
(Might clog up with any plastic though?) Do you have a "gem and
mineral" type club in your area?

you cannot use a diamond blade with metals or plastics. i suspect to get a
good slice out of a cable, a very large metal shear is required for this
task.

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

charlie wrote:
"Larry The Snake Guy" wrote in message
Might be a job for one of those diamond saws used to slice stones.
(Might clog up with any plastic though?) Do you have a "gem and
mineral" type club in your area?

you cannot use a diamond blade with metals or plastics. i suspect to
get a good slice out of a cable, a very large metal shear is required
for this task.

Or you may have to soak the end in thin penetrating epoxy solution to "fix"
the wires in the cable in place so they don't move while cutting nor fall
out when mounting. It may only penetrate a short distance requiring repeated
treatments. Once it is hardened solid a very fine saw may be used to cut
slices and the solid slice may even allow some sort of polishing technique
to highlight the copper wires and the coloured plastic or rubber or whatever
they used for insulation.

Posted to alt.home.repair

terry wrote:
With my apology for OT.

I have a section of the shore portion of the first Transatlantic
'Telephone' cable (Not Cyrus Fields 1850s 'Telegraph' cable) that went
into operation in 1956 between Oban Scotland and Shoal Harbour
Newfoundland. I picked it up personally as a scrap item, at a repeater
site (Of the Newfoundland to North Sydney, Nova Scotia, portion), in
1956.

Wish to slice the short section, a few inches long, into thin slices
and mount each 'slice' (probably by gluing?) on small plaques to make
a presentation item; to telecommunication industry retirees etc..

Could anyone suggest best method and or direct to a 'hobbyist/model-
makers' news group for advice.

Thank you for your forbearance of my question; but there is so much
help and knowledge/skill available here. Many thanks.

Go to a coin collector shop, or look online for coin holders. They have
clear plastic coin holders, some even egravable, that would do just what
you want. Solid front, solid back, and a round cutout section in the
middle to hold the coin-shaped object.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 15, 9:36*pm, aemeijers wrote:
terry wrote:
[...]

clear plastic coin holders, some even engravable, that would do just what
you want. Solid front, solid back, and a round cutout section in the
middle to hold the coin-shaped object.

--
aem sends...- Hide quoted text -

It's the centre core of the cable. The entire cable would have had
variuos outer layers of twisted steel 'armour'.
The amount of armour would have varied; less in deeper water, where
the danger of damage is less and more in shallower water where greater
danger of ice damage and/or being hooked/danged by fishing gear;
especially 'dragging'.
The electrical portion (which is to be presented, is a coaxial cable.
The section has a heavy lead outer sheath about one inch (or slightly
more) in diameter.
Within that are a central copper conductor contained within a metal
tube with with variuos 'layers' of insulation, separating each
'concentric layer'.
Many thanks for the variuos suggestions.
Am hoping to get variuos 'slices' of the section with reasonably
smooth surface and mount them as presentation item.
That analog multi channel cable is now out of service, having been
long replaced by variuos fibre-optic 'cables'. Each with much higher
capacity than all of the previous 'telephone' cables!
This in much same way that after the telephone cable went into service
ALL of the previous Transatlantic 'telegraph' cable capacity could be
carried by only one of the 24 voice channels of the then new
'telephone' cable.
Thanks for reading.
PS. Am just a few miles from where in 1901 Marconi received the first
Transatlantic 'wireless' telegraph signal from England.
Posted to alt.home.repair

terry wrote:
[...]

Transatlantic 'wireless' telegraph signal from England.- Hide quoted text -

Are you a former Bell Labs employee or a Former AT+T Long Lines
person?