Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Peerless vs Burnham

I have a 24 year old Burnham boiler that I need to replace in my 1700
sqft home. The home is heated with forced hot water base board heat.
Currently the old Burnham does not produce enough hot water for my
desire so I also have an electric water heater serving as a booster/
expandable storage.

I feel comfortable with two installers. One is offering the Peerless
WBV-03 boiler (three sections tank) where he will still leave in place
the Electic booster because he is not positive my hot water needs will
be met with just the boiler. The second is offering the Burnham
MPO115 and also, the hot water storage tank (forget the model), and
out door reset with the higher speed circulators. Both are supplying
a cirulator for each zone, new oil line from the tank and make-up air
kits.

The Peerless estimate is $6,400 soup to nuts removing all piping,
expansion tank, etc right up to the ceiling and the Burnhan estimate
is $6,900 with all the extras. Seeing how I have had a Burnham for 24
years, are the Peerless worth all the extra $$$ when I can get all the
extra money saving add ons for just $500 more with the Burnham?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jordan" wrote in message
I feel comfortable with two installers. One is offering the Peerless
WBV-03 boiler (three sections tank) where he will still leave in place
the Electic booster because he is not positive my hot water needs will
be met with just the boiler. The second is offering the Burnham
MPO115 and also, the hot water storage tank (forget the model), and
out door reset with the higher speed circulators. Both are supplying
a cirulator for each zone, new oil line from the tank and make-up air
kits.

The Peerless estimate is $6,400 soup to nuts removing all piping,
expansion tank, etc right up to the ceiling and the Burnhan estimate
is $6,900 with all the extras. Seeing how I have had a Burnham for 24
years, are the Peerless worth all the extra $$$ when I can get all the
extra money saving add ons for just $500 more with the Burnham?

Faces with a similar problem last year, This is what I went with
http://www.energykinetics.com/index.shtml

Installed during the winter, I saved 32% on my first oil delivery, based on
degree days. I'm saving even more during the summer when only hot water is
needed.

You will get all the hot water you'll ever need with the 40 gallon indirect
tank that goes with it. Water heaters are rated on "first hour" and this
one is 230 gallons, about double what most are. With my old system, I've
had had my tank filled in April and again next month. My tank was filled in
February and I'm still at about half full so I figure I'm over 250 more
gallons saved.

Be sure to check out financing through your state. Here in CT I'm able to
get 0% for ten years for energy star heaters, plus a $500 rebate. I think
there is a link to the state programs from energy star.

Please help Burnham RSM-126 oil furnace won't heat hot water after vacation Donita Luddington Home Repair 35 August 21st 08 12:58 PM
Burnham MPO boiler - strange temperature behavior [email protected] Home Repair 55 October 29th 07 07:39 PM
Old Burnham Boiler Shuts Off [email protected] Home Repair 9 February 11th 07 06:22 AM
Burnham boiler/company problems Tom Home Repair 12 April 1st 05 12:54 PM
Burnham boiler/company problems Tom Home Repair 2 March 31st 05 09:06 PM