Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Should I attempt to remove about 1/3 of a roof rafter myself?

I just bought a foreclosed house and need to do some work in the back part
of the house and to do so I'd sure like to have access to that part of the
attic of which there is no access now. The back part of the house seems to
be an addition. The original roof has the ridge beam running side to side
and then they installed a ridge beam running perpendicular off that to cover
the addition. When they did this they didn't cut a portion of the old roof
out to give access to the attic over the addition. I'd like to cut out an
access opening. I assume this would be similar to framing in a door where
you sister in some jack[rafters], put in a header, and some cripple
[rafters]. I'm not too sure what the configuration for the header should
look like on these 2X8's or if I should attempt to do this myself? All
this will be done with a permit and the city inspector's oversight.
However, I'm not going to walk in to pull a permit and sound like an idiot,
but on the face of it, it doesn't look overwhelming or outside of my
capabilities. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 14, 10:19*pm, "CraigT" wrote:
[...]

Some pictures would go a long way to getting good answers.
Posted to alt.home.repair

buffalobill wrote:
[...]

it's a messy job. maybe you need an access panel or a pull down
folding stairway. uninhabitable crawl spaces and attics may just need
a ceiling access panel to check the underside of the roof and the
attic insulation while you install the new bathroom exhaust fan to a
proper vent.

How close are the rafters, and how wide are you? What you essentially
have is a dormer, and the opening would be headered and framed in a
similar fashion. Unless the rafters were too close together to shinny
through, I'd just sawzall out the decking between 2 of them for an
access hole. Or are you trying to use the attic space in the addition
for storage? If so, I'd go with pull-down stairs or ceiling hatch in the
addition.

--
aem sends...