Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Water "Screen Filter" keeps toilet working!

I kept having problems with my toilet not refilling all the way in the bowl.

There is a little tube which sends water into the overflow tube when
refilling. This opening in the refill valve for this was getting clogged by
particles in the water pipes. (The same particles which clog up faucet
aerators.)

So I decided to put a water filter on my toilet. But the replacement
cartridges are too expensive! Instead I looked for a "screen" type filter
which I could clean and not need to buy replacement cartridges.

All I could find is a screen filter for an outside water hose (in the garden
section of home improvement stores). The filter I found looks like this...
http://www.jspg.com/uploadfile/fpxkkScreen%20filter.jpg

Anyway it works!

After having it installed for 6 months, the toilet bowl is still filling all
the way up like it should. I turned off the water and unscrewed the filter
and there was all sorts of particles in there. I just rinsed it and screwed
it back on. (The toilet was still refilling just fine, I was just curious
about what particles it was catching. Probably just need to clean it once a
year.)

Anyway because of the angle of the connections on this filter, the plumbing
behind my toilet looks tacky. I was told there are other types of screen
filters with straight in connections? And that these are used for boilers?

What I would like to do is install a whole house screen filter or screen
filters under each sink. Like the above where I could just clean it and not
need to buy replacement cartridges.

Anyone know where you can get a "whole house screen filter"????

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 14, 11:33*am, "Bill" wrote:
[...]

A lot of the crud may be coming from within the house. Scale builds up
in the pipes and then breaks loose. I had a similar problem on my
humidifier and had to replace an expensive valve twice in 3 years. I
added an inline filter , the type you use on refrigerators. It is 7
years old and I have never replaced the cartridge and have never had
to replace the valve again since I put it on.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bill" wrote in message
I kept having problems with my toilet not refilling all the way in the
bowl.

There is a little tube which sends water into the overflow tube when
refilling. This opening in the refill valve for this was getting clogged
by particles in the water pipes. (The same particles which clog up faucet
aerators.)

So I decided to put a water filter on my toilet. But the replacement
cartridges are too expensive! Instead I looked for a "screen" type filter
which I could clean and not need to buy replacement cartridges.

All I could find is a screen filter for an outside water hose (in the
garden section of home improvement stores). The filter I found looks like
this...
http://www.jspg.com/uploadfile/fpxkkScreen%20filter.jpg

Anyone know where you can get a "whole house screen filter"????

Buy a whole house sediment filter and make your own by wrapping the screen
around the supplied cartridge ends. There are a few ways of doing it.

You can also get a sediment trap (Y strainer) at a plumbing supply house and
they have screens in them.