Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Help With Transformer Install

I have a question that relates to a doorbell install that you folks have
been helping me with, along with another transformer install that I have
to do for a AC system. The transformer that had been spec'd out a couple
of years ago for the AC system called for a JBOX with a extension to
give it depth and the transformer would mount directly inside of the box
with the low voltage terminals sticking out, visible and easy to work
on. I want to find the same setup for my doorbell install as the device
will be in a home run closet that is drywalled! It is impractical to rip
open the wall to install on the side of a JBOX. It is easier to just cut
in a retro box that I can dedicate to the transformer and then pull
Romex or THNN from a nearby outlet. What type of transformer fits inside
of a JBOX and what size jbox do I get. I know that I have seen
applications in the past, where the transformer is sticking right out of
the box. Can someone help me with this. I am confused. If I was given
bad info re the AC transformer that it will be a pain to rip out that
box and reposition.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

One method would be to install an extension ring on an existing box.
Install the transformer in a KO on the exposed extension ring.

*I had the same thought. They make a four inch square box that will mount
onto a in-wall outlet box. You will need to go to a electric supply company
to get it. Check out the Raco/Hubbell web site to get a part number. One
thing though is if you would be mounting this onto a plastic box you would
need to connect a ground wire onto the metal box using a G clip.

Most of the transformers that I see and install for doorbells and furnace
control are mounted on the exterior of electrical boxes with the line
voltage leads going into a knockout. The only exception is factory
installed transformers that are mounted directly inside of equipment.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

I've never seen what you describe. The garden variety doorbell transformer
has either a male 1/2" threaded nipple with the line voltage wires coming
through, or a screw down fitting that also fits into a 1/2" knockout. Either
way, the transformer sits on the surface. If you've mounted a large panel in
the closet, for what was going to be your intercom interface, you could
probably fit a box and transformer inside it. Another possibility, similar
to what Bud suggested, is to cut in a switch box and install a blank plate
on it, with a 1/2" knockout in the plate, and mount the transformer to it.